Dismiss Notice
Alien Soup is a free community for fans of science-fiction, horror, & fantasy! Everybody is welcome here.

Clarkes space elevator on the boards

Discussion in 'Tech, Science, and Space' started by Tim, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Tim

Tim Creative Writer

A step forward? Time to see what they come up with I guess.

2. Kevin

Kevin Code Monkey Staff Abductee

It is politics that will always doom ideas such as this, not technology.

Let's say for such as moment that all of 'free' countries of the world unite and build such an elevator. The terran station could be in a number of locations but let's assume Australia since it was mentioned as a possible candidate. OK, no problem, everything is peachy, but what happens when 'rogue' countries like North Korea want to play with the new toy? Odds are that even if some proposal is offered to let them use the new elevator, that North Korea and its allies would instead would want to build their own elevator under their control.

So now there are two of these things in a fixed orbit floating around up there with each one under a different alliance control. Does this mean that section of space is now "owned" by that alliance? Or at least permanently controlled by it? I do believe that would break some existing treaties in place today. Would the 'rogue' alliance react in a hostile defensive manner if somebody from the 'free' alliance got to close to their space based elevator? Would the 'free' alliance end up having to fortify their elevator platform to prevent an advancement from the 'rogue' alliance? Would such elevators necessitate the need for the first division of "Space Marines" to be deployed in space?

Ooohh..... politics. :banghead:

3. recall

recall Captain

Not only at the station, but all the way up & around the base.
    I believe a Hydrogen powered engine that scoops it up as it goes along (Hanger 13)(Area 51), will arrive first.
    It is said building will begin 50 years after people stop laughing ... they're still laughing.
    At least at current plans.

I can't help thinking that this would make a "Swell" Lightening Rod ?

4. Mojo

Mojo Rocket Ranger

Actually, the space elevator thing is a great idea. I think they could build it on a platform in the middle of the ocean to avoid the political angle... it would revolutionize life here on Earth, and truly propel us to the stars.

5. recall

recall Captain

I to believe that having an easier way to get to space is necessary. The concept is sound, but the idea is ancient.
    Once up you will still have to deal with atmosphere/gravity on other worlds. So a series of these (like Stargates) would be necessary.
    In other worlds it would solve one problem, but leave many more to overcome.
    Perhaps some other idea, Pneumatic tubes in a triple cluster. one up, one down, one for the air to be moved to and from to create the vacuum necessary for propulsion.
    When used once (one time pump-out), the movement will create another vacuum for the next journey, operated (started & stopped) by opening & closing seals, and again air pumps.
    These could theoretically be manufactured (grown as the previous plan suggests), and much more easily "lowered" into the atmosphere and down to the Earth, than stacking them (sections) up. Once a station is complete. Transportation to other worlds would be a "snap" compared to landing there and building another elevator up.
    Again and as well, the same could be created on other worlds. In order to speed up the process of whatever we wish to do on/with/for/to them.
    I'm not down on the concept of having a better way to get up & down, just down on the cable/tower/laser/baby-load method.