Classes

WatchMaker said:
I see where you are taking this. If you get the horse first, you can butcher it for meat, thus having more substance to place into the cart. Very clever Nav.

LOL WM, that brought a smile to my day. No matter which way you try to look at it, I agree...

heck i would just like to see all the specifics about the classes they have now. mainly cleric and "healer". i dont want cleric to just be another incarnation of WoW's paladin. i heal, i dont want to off tank, let me heal and or cleanse. and is "healer" going to get a name like the rest of them or am i simply known as "healer". i mean that makes me think more doctor then priest. especially when the service ability of a "healer" amounts to healing wounds.

so lets see, cleric heals with spells and there for can rez. "healer" heals with practical applications (bandages, cough medicine, whatever we call it). which has the better skill for healing while in combat? or will a cleric have more of an AoE type heal and a "healer" has bigger heals but single target only? does a healer have to make his own healing devices?

Hero's Hall said:
Nothing is known about the Cleric/Healer class as of yet. When we get statistics, abilities, guides, and tips we will be sure to bring you the most in-depth information so keep checking back soon!

i mean people are taking about classes for the xpak, i just want my class for release to be explained. i cant even begin to create a character.

I guess there's a lot of balancing going on amongst the classes which is why they're not trying to say anything that's going to be out of date next week when they realise that 'w' kind of character can't do 'x' because it would make them more uber than 'y' character doing 'z'.

Luciro said:
Balance isn't an objective for HJ.

I hope they keep it so. I'd rather have unique classes than balanced classes.

you can do both. a healer who uses magic and a healer who uses practical means in my mind arent the same class with different names.

i really cant explain myself right now, just woke up and havent had coffee but i will return to do so. seriously, if they dont do a good job with the healing classes my hero's journey could be a short one. i can be that fanatical about my class.

Healing is an essential class for any game, I doubt they'll bork it too bad but it might be anything we are used to playing either. If we find out about multiple characters per server, I might be doing a healing class myself but seeing as I've done that for five or so years now I am trying to branch out and go Rogue. Still, I hope everything balances out.

And it's no fun being a unique character that ends up being a complete runt, I'd prefer to be balanced than unique any day if being unique meant being overly uber or overly useless. Like pre-NGE in SWG.. being a doctor was pretty balanced, life was good. Then medic after NGE.. we weren't balanced at all, we were just a fluff class at best. Sure, I stuck with it for RP purposes, but I soon found my log in times to be getting shorter because nobody needed a doctor when they all had self-heals and stim packs.

First of all, I didn't present the statment as fact. I told you what most of us know because we've been doing our research for awhile.
Check out the info posted on www.mmorpg.com about HJ. Steph and a few other devs repeated (no class balance, just lots of skill variety) as a mantra. Also if you search these forums we've had the quote mentioned a million times over when discussing balance, nerfs, and builds.
I for one hope HJ sticks to their guns and rather than balance everyone's potential damage per second or ability to heal and stick with the whole.. You choose this skill set to be useful for this and this. Not let us make your classes all the same. But that's just me.
Unique builds and some variety in varying levels of 'strength' is fun.

Also on the discussion going on about clerics and healers. I think they're the primary reason we're being forced to multi class in the game. Because also in disussion finally about the classes within HJ they've stated that healer's actually heal and clerics will have more offensive (religion / force) based spells and will be the primary rezzers. SO..
Warrior / Healer will be able to choose their combat paths ON TOP of how they wish to recover HP during or after a battle.
Whilst, Warrior / Cleric will have his sword and faith armed and ready to smite those who question his dominion!

Research, read up, enjoy.

David Whatley:... Balance is always a challenge when you differentiate by profession in anyway. And perfect balance washes away most of the uniqueness; things just become variations on each other, but from a mechanics standpoint, identical. So instead of trying to make things perfectly balanced, we instead work to make each profession combination interesting within its conceptual space. Couple that with our liberal way of handling level differences within a party, you end up with a very powerful gameplay gestalt that cannot be handled separately.

For more info on this, see:
HEROSHALL.COM
and
HEROSHALL.COM :smiley:

Luciro said:
Also on the discussion going on about clerics and healers. I think they're the primary reason we're being forced to multi class in the game. Because also in disussion finally about the classes within HJ they've stated that healer's actually heal and clerics will have more offensive (religion / force) based spells and will be the primary rezzers. SO..
Warrior / Healer will be able to choose their combat paths ON TOP of how they wish to recover HP during or after a battle.
Whilst, Warrior / Cleric will have his sword and faith armed and ready to smite those who question his dominion!

Research, read up, enjoy.

do you have links to these discussions? honestly, i could not navigate the OS (Official Site) boards worth a damn. OMG i have seen cork backed bulletin boards here in Iraq better organized then that place.

ok so what you are saying is cleric is basically a Paladin w/out the Healadin part of his job. he will cast his blessings on the mobs and be standing next to the melee dps hacking and slashing away in the name of His holy righteousness.

well your example also brings up a thought. you combined warrior/healer ad warrior/cleric in your example. so following that logic i should be able to create a cleric/healer.

J gave links in the reply after my own since I was too lazy to do so. Many thanks Jaraeth.
And yes, in one of the more informative discussions from a HJ dev about class combos Cleric / Healer was cited as being an important role. Plus there was hints that it'd play differently than a Healer / Cleric.
Which if anyone's messed with multiclassing before this could be handled a couple of different ways.
One being more like the FFXI model. Where your classes level apart from each other but whichever is your 'main class' would lead to which abilities would be effective in the 'secondary class' skill set.
Or it could be a play on the City of Heroes/Villains model. Which if we MUST dual class I'm hoping it's more like this model I have in mind. What one specific class has in it's PRIMARY slotting, is nessecarily what it'll have in it's SECONDARY slotting. Meaning..
Maybe our first class would pretty much select our job. A crude manner being.. If Healer is your primary then heals and abilities promoting healing will be what opens up as you progress in the game and gain Hero Points. While if Cleric is secondary, then you'll gain very few of the cleric offensive skill set but you'll probably pick up many of the clerics traditional utilites such as rezzes and shields I'd assume.
While if you were choose Cleric as your Primary, then smites and chants galore would make up your skill set as you progress. While the healer secondary just gives you a few utility heals and make use of buffs or what have you.

I'll probably never get my rogue / rogue build from these guys, but ahh well. Tis how said cookie crumbles.

Back