Sci-Fi Classic Sci-fi

sci-fi-dude

1963, 1899 called they want every thing back....
Boy the new stuff rolling out of the studios have me scratching my head. Sfx and bad scripts and actors are the rule of the day. I have been enjoying some classic series. Twilight zone's writer Rod Serling was a true genius. Every thing he wrote back then I noticed a watered down version today. These new writers need to lay off the fluff, fluff meaning the nerdy tech jibber-jabber and focus on the script, the plot, and the story. Star trek the next gen did that, or started that, where any character would go on and on about too much techy stuff. Lost me dudes! LOL. tumblr_koizo9AQ7l1qzjombo1_400.jpgDial it back dudes.actorseugenelevy07.jpg Space 1999, ufo, the first Star Trek, Lost in Space, and many of the other classics kept it simple, and when something techy happened they didn't bore its audience with tech jibba jabba. b7b3903eff68db92_han2.xxxlarge.jpg They just used their tech instruments, showed the audience how it was used and then used it. Now it there was an unusual force, they threw out a theory, short and simple, then we observed it happening, then went wow, that's heavy. I always loved a Twilight zones's way of introducing a alien or spirit to its main character with a weird spacy noise, and then the critter would appear. lol, it cracked me up every time. Now if you have any favorite classic sci-fi series that is your favorite, post em' up, and we will check it out.

How old is classic TV? 20-25 years?
At 25 years 1993, at 20 years 1998?
Hell, I'm getting old! That was yesterday.

I remember liking Eureka.
I liked the new Outer Limits too.
VR5 was okay, First Wave was okay.
Firefly was fantastic, Babylon 5 was addicting.
Didn't really care for Crusade (except the technomage).

I don't remember when science fiction shows transistioned to technobabble but I think it was before ST:TNG.
I never really had a problem with it because I do it too.
Check out my component list of a Skwirlinator:

HEAD

Unobtainuim Case
Triphasic Stratolayered Uphoeric Quantum Processor
Multiphasic Attatchment Node Units (4)
Trilinier Scopic Full Spectral Vision Optimiser
Onobtainium Plated Titanium Denture Set
Enhance Bulbous Olfactory Intergration Module
Amplified Predicting Wisker Group
Omni-Directional Auditory Enhancement with Range Expanders
Quantum Enhanced Reaction Module
Gangaloidal Backup System
5-Port USB Tri-fire Hub
Wireless Communications System
Interplanetary Internet
Encyclopedia Galactica Reference System
HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy Reference System
Orion's Arm Psionics System
A Potato - Uncooked
LifeDrive Separation Module
Zero Point Energy Node
Negative Mass Tachyon Defense Module
8 Barrier Defense Field Generator

TORSO

Absolute Zero Heat Exchanger Unit
Zero Point Energy Node
Quantum Enhanced Reaction Module Slave Unit
Unobtainuim Stratocluster Framing Unit
Multiphasic Attatchment Node Units (128)
LifeDrive Separation Module Command Unit
Negative Mass Tachyon Defense Module
8 Barrier Defense Field Generator
Nano Construction Factory Unit
Tractor/Repulsor Beam Emmitters (2)
Holographic Display Emmitter
Triphasic Defense Assualt Cannons
Attachment Creation Nano Db
Nano-Factory Construction Accelorator Software
Personal Wormhole Unit
Dimensional Buffer Screw
Acrid Fart Simulator Package
All-Weather Fur (Flame-Proof)
One bottle of Scent of a Skwirl

ARM/HANDS

Instantaneous Reaction Units
Nano Slave Assembler Node
Unobtainuim Fineline Framing Unit
Unobtainuim Full-Motion Joint Reflex System
Weapon System Index Construction Library Modules
A Nutcracker
RF Insulators
Onobtainium Plated Titanium Claw Set
Pulveriser Attachment Module
Projectile Attachment Module
Energy Weapons Attachment Module
Phasic Weapons Attachment Module
Nano Resource Collection Module
Graviton Nullification Emmitters
Phase Transduction Amplifiers (4 per extremity)

LEGS/FEET

Onobtainium Plated Titanium Claw Set
Graviton Nullification Emmitters
Phase Transduction Amplifiers (4 per extremity)
Zero-Point Induction Jump Jets
Random Kick Inhibitors (2)
Twitch Stabilizers
Nano-Dock Leg Chambers (Chromed)
A Clean Washrag
Enhance Traction Control
Proton Isolation Replusion Module
Absolute Zero Heat Exchanger Units (2)
G-Maximus Printer Port
Waste Projectile Cannon
Reproduction Simulator Module

TAIL

Twitch Stabilizers
Glorious Appearance Fur Fluffer Module
Point Defense Tracking System
500 Free MP3s
Enhanced Fire Control System

General Trait

One Great Personality

Software Libraries

One Billion Nut Recipes
Repository Of Forest Creatures
Scampering 101
Nest Building in the 21st Century
Tree Superstructures and Highway Systems
Projectile Weapons Systems
Effective Clawing
When to Bite
Controlling that Twitching Tail
Terminator Series Nodes and Module Systems
Encyclopedia Universe Expanded Edition
Rodent Family Histories
Machine Language Db
Talking With Your Nanos
Cooling with Absolute Zero
Zero Point Diagnostics
Everything in a Nutshell

To us, the golden age of sci-fi is 1953-1979. X-Files is the only exception but then it's like Twilight Zone 2.0.
Whats the difference between "Golden Age of SciFi" and "Classic SciFi"?

The department of motor vehicles (DMV) definition for a classic car differs from state to state. In general, though a classic is any vehicle older than 15 years while an antique is more than 25 years old.

A human generation is appx 30 years. In terms of changes in society, 25-30 denotes a generational change in thinking. Its currently 2018 so the generation gap of society means 1985-1990. But society changes memes at faster frequency. With internet and our current saturation of communication devices there is a societal change in thinking every 6 to 10 years.

We know that SciFi TV shows reflect societal views. Given that there is a slight delay in those views and those views change at a slower rate than the ones in SciFi TV shows, Its safe to figure that 4-5 years is the interval of change in SciFi TV societal representation.

However, people's active memory is longer than societal viewpoints. SciFi TV, or any TV show is geared to demographics. This is why some of us older people see repeating themes in the television shows we watch.
We think "Oh, I seen this before, Its nothing new, such and such show did it better" when we watch new SciFi shows. I call it the "cookie cutter" effect. "New" is not really "New" to me. When I 'think' Classic SciFi, I think of the first time I saw those concepts.

Sliders (1995-2000) is not the first time I saw a TV Show concerning dimensional jumping but I do consider it a classic show. It ended 18 years ago. Quantum Leap (1989-1993) also dealt with dimensional jumping.

I consider Star Trek: Enterprise (2001-2005) classic SciFi as well, but for a different reason. The concepts explored were the same as Star Trek TOS but it has faded from my active memory.

Nothing in current SciFi TV is original. Oh, there is better graphics and new faces but the shows primarily maintain the same concepts over and over. You have to go pretty far back in history to find the original show that used those themes.
Star Trek TOS is not even the original theme. Roddenberry sold the concept as a "a wagon train to the stars", concepts based on a western TV show, Wagon Train (1957-1965). Not to say it didn't cut new ground but the baseline was the same.

To us, the golden age of sci-fi is 1953-1979. X-Files is the only exception but then it's like Twilight Zone 2.0.
Yeup Verna, I totally agree. When the new STNG came out, the show was high tech, but listening to Geordie and Data babble on about tech, cause a separation between regular trekkies and techno-weenies. The special effects were great, but even the producers of the series in the 90's dialed the techno babble so as to not "alienate their fans.:cool:

To me regardless of the subject matter, classic also means original era; the 50's & 60's is when movie and TV sci-fi really took hold and gained a wide spread following. I haven't watched the syfy channel since BSG 2.0 went off and I had to make myself watch that. Personally, I much prefer the Comet network to syfy.

Yeah, I watch Comet too.
I also watch The Collective
The Collective is an invite only streaming site that plays science fiction shows non-stop.
Each show gets its own feed and it loops by season.
They have channels for
Star Trek: All the series, all the seasons, all the episodes.
Babylon 5
TBBT
Quantum Leap
Dr Who: All the series, all the seasons, all the episodes.
and a few more. They also have TV Tuner which gives 'Other' shows non-stop and a feed for the different satellite feeds like CNN, FOX, ABC, CBS, NBC and the premiums like HBO, Cinemax, TMC, etc...
It got started when JustinTV shutdown.

To me regardless of the subject matter, classic also means original era; the 50's & 60's is when movie and TV sci-fi really took hold and gained a wide spread following. I haven't watched the syfy channel since BSG 2.0 went off and I had to make myself watch that. Personally, I much prefer the Comet network to syfy.
Yeup, Shark nado did it for me on sy fi, Sy fi needs more classics on their programming agenda, the new stuff is boring. Shark nado, lol! Stone nado was good too!;)

Literally, they jumped the shark. If movies are ever made of our books they will not be on syfy.
You never know, you may get a series. Staring Sci fi dude as the space trash collector, Icky as the space ranger, Kevin as the bearded space coffee drinker, and you as the captain of the star ship citrus. That show would rule!
beavis_and_butthead_experience_front.jpg

Hard ware wars, Oggie van doggie, ham salad, chinchilla bacca, princess droid, and luke, the first star wars funny film.
hardware_wars1.jpg
0.jpg
May the farce be with you.

Gotta love Classics, great for a rainy day, some soda pop, chips, pizza, wings and dippin' sauce.

I was trying to remember a 60's sci-fi film that was pretty exciting with the graphix and scenes. I will keep looking for it.:cool:

to me too much modern scifi is sfx, political correctness and politics.

and as I mentioned elsewhere I think there's becoming a glut. Valerian and John Carter barely got noticed; too much other stuff.

hard to draw the line between sci-fi and superhero stuff.

I am especially weary of the incredible-powerful-and-evil-aliens-invade-earth, especially if the main protagonists are teenagers. how many of them have we seen last few years? we'll be re-running Outer Limits long after that stuff is forgotten.

don't mind me, I'm at the get-off-my-lawn state of life

Back