Politics Cloning

I don't think humans or anything else should be cloned. For one thing, there are enough humans on this earth already thanks to natural brith, so it is not like we are lacking in the human department. For another reason I think cloaning could lead to super armies, and designer children...much like genetic engineering.

These are also the reasons I don't agree in "fertility clinics."

The world is overpopulated, and there are thousands of children without homes and loving parents. Cloning would discourage parents from adoption, like fertility clinics already do.

While, I believe that cloning has great pontenial for both good and abuse, I'm oppsoed to the full cloning of humans (not the use of stemcells and the like, just full on cloning) at this point on time for the simple reasons that the technology is too new and unreliable (300+ attempts to get one sheep :baa:smiley:. We do not know the full ramifications to the clones and it will be impossible to know those ramfications for a period of some decades.

Everyone is unique and different, coning people would just be weird, and couldn't people then commit crimes and an innocent person could take the blame?! :blink:

Clones have a history of dying prematurely. There's so much unknown. I think it might be an interesting possibility though, for endangered species that are not reproducing enough to keep their race alive.

It might be interesting to see what happened with a human clone personality wise...but otherwise I don't see any point and thats not really fair to the person who is coming out of the cloning....I don't think there is much to be discovered cloning wise...

What the heck is the purpose of cloning? I’ve heard of cloning organs for transplants, but why do we need to clone people?! Is it necessary in a planet that’s dangerously over-populated? What the hell are medical scientists doing! Shouldn’t they be finding out how to cure Cancer, spinal cord injuries, blindness and AIDS before improving this pointless breakthrough?
These people need to stop procrastinating with this B.S and research a breakthrough that will actually improve our way of life. shesssh!

~~Spongy!

The purpose of cloning is to figure out it works d'uh. Once scientists can fine tune the process it would make "cloning" new tissues, eyes, spinal cords ect. easier to do, in my eyes knowlegde does improve our way of life.
However I do think that the human population is way past the sustainable number, and cloning has not been fine tuned enough to repair the poly A tail on DNA. One hypothesis for why clones die "young" is that the poly A tail - which is halved during each mitotic division, is sort of like a timer for each sister cell, so each cell can only divide so many times before dying- is only as long as the cell that was cloned. so the clone's cell are as "old" as the parent's. Therefore cloning is too dangerous to be used so some multi-millionare can get his/her kicks, but will be important for science.
I would not like to be cloned. I think its a way to egotistical way to reproduce, and the child would only have my genes, she would not even have to look, or act in anyway like me. If you are interested in cloning, I'd recogment looking up CarbonCopy, a true kitty clone that does not look like her "mother" yet has the same genes.

Nuh-uh, people would be able to use it as "insurance", their clones have perfect matches, so they wouldn't care if they lost a liver, they know where to find a perfect match... They wouldn't be careful and life would be meaningless...

Just because now-a-days, one can fix a broken arm, or clear out clogged arteries, doesn't make life meaningless now-a-days, it just makes life easier. And whether or not you can wip up a new liver in 24 hours, doesn't mean getting a puntucured liver anyless painful, people will still be careful, because pain is something every living thing wants to advoid.

Good point... it would probably be the rich people that have clones too, I imagine they would be pricey. But also the clones have feelings too, and people might make fun of them for being clones... and then there's gonna be a war between clones and real people, then the clones will win because they're probably enhanced.

There's an interesting book about someone who was cloned called "Cloning Miranda". It's one of my favourites :D
As to what I think about cloning - I think it's a scary thing. Could you imagine what the world would be like if there were clones that were more powerful than humans in the wrong hands? Personally, I hope that humans are never cloned. If it is cloning organs to save people's lives then that's one thing, but cloning a UNIQUE human being is another. And even with cloning organs we don't know what the long-term effect is :thinking: :blink:

What about cloning of animals? I saw on the news last night that after a cat was successfully cloned, there may be a future service that will clone your pets... for only $50,000 per clone.

Back