Season 4 Clues from the title

so the title is detente. it means the easing of strained international relations.
i was thinkiing that maybe this might be a clue to the content of the episode. do any of the smarter people on this borad have any thoughts?

well, after checking out my handy French Dictionary, I see that Detente alone can mean either "trigger", "relaxation", or "A relaxation of tensions (in international affairs)". I'd say the writers either used the first or the last definitions for this episode, unless Syd becomes a Geisha again ;)

I remember learning this term from US history class.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Détente was a permanent relaxation in international affairs during the Cold War rather than just a temporary relaxation (the so-called "thaw"). It is a term usually associated with the relations between America, Russia and China.

The 1970’s witnessed detente. Why ? 1) The horrors of Vietnam shocked people 2) There was a growing fear of a nuclear holocaust especially with the growth in those countries that had nuclear weapons. Also both USA and USSR had huge stockpiles of weapons.

Why did all 3 major powers want to pursue detente ?

China - she was fearful of her isolation in the world. She was also fearful of what USA had done in Vietnam. China’s stockpile of nuclear weapons was a lot smaller than that of USA. China was also worried by her worsening relations with USSR.

USA - she realised that there were better ways of containing communism than the ways that she done in previous years. She was also aware of the massive cost of weapons production and maintaining a huge armed force. A peaceful relationship with the USSR would be very beneficial to USA especially after the cost of the Vietnam War.

USSR - USSR was spending a huge amount on weapons at the expense of basic household goods. Living standards were poor and USSR was also aware that her relationship with China was far from good while USA was trying to improve hers with China.

How did the world's major powers attempt to ease world tension?

USSR and USA :

1963 - hot-line established after Cuban Missile Crisis

1963 - both agreed to only use underground tests for nuclear explosions

1969 - Strategic Arms Limitation Talks (SALT) start

1972 - Richard Nixon, USA president, visits Moscow

1973 - Leonid Brezhnev, USSR leader, visits Washington

1974 - Nixon visits Moscow

1975 - Helsinki Agreement — USA, USSR, Canada + major European powers accept European frontiers set up after World War Two. This recognised that Germany was divided and East European countries agreed to allow their people human rights such as freedom of speech.

China and USA:

USA had backed the Chinese Nationalists in Taiwan since their fall in 1949 and had fought Communist China on behalf of the U.N. in the Korean War. In 1971 a move was made to improve relationships when China invited an American table tennis team to China. Hence the term "ping—pong" diplomacy. USA’s response was to support China’s entry into the U.N., something she had always vetoed. In October 1971, China entered the U.N. Presidents Nixon and Ford both visited China though USA kept a massive naval fleet off of Taiwan. In December 1978, America's President Carter withdrew recognition of Taiwan.

China and Russia:

Relations between these two nations had soured in the late 1950’s over ideological matters. Both communist states accused the other of "revisionism", or moving away from pure communism. Both clashed over their borders and China has always asked for the return of land taken by the USSR in the C19. The territorial issue combined with the ideological issue has done little to ease problems between the two and both tried to develop better relationships with America than the other had.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Detente - History Learning Site

What does this have to do with Alias? I have no idea. Lol

Hmm. so the episode will be about the relaxing of some countries...maybe something to do with nuclear missiles. That sydney has to get.. sounds quite familar. Maybe thats why they switched around the episodes. Those two were to similar. Should be good.

Well Detente means the permanent easing/relaxing of a relationship. This probably means two characters are going to get along better now?

I was thinking that it probably has to do with the characters. We have several strained relationships.

Sydney & Jack
Sydney & Sloan
Sydney & Vaughn (but things are getting alot better)
Jack & Nadia
Jack & Sloan (but they seem to be getting along better)

So there are alot of possiblities. If Sark is on this episode, it could be about him and almost anyone of the regulars.

I was thinking that it probably has to do with the characters. We have several strained relationships.

Sydney & Jack
Sydney & Sloan
Sydney & Vaughn (but things are getting alot better)
Jack & Nadia
Jack & Sloan (but they seem to be getting along better)

So there are alot of possiblities. If Sark is on this episode, it could be about him and almost anyone of the regulars.

yendySwotsirB said:
Maybe if this is the episode that Sark comes back - he could join the team?
              :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump::jump::jump:
[post="1189098"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

HAHAHA That would be awesome! Althought good chance it WONT happen.
:D :cool: :blink: :P :woot: :woot: :woot:

Marshall47 said:
HAHAHA That would be awesome!  Althought good chance it WONT happen.
:D  :cool:  :blink:  :P  :woot:  :woot:  :woot:
[post="1194173"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Yah, too good to be true. But then again, if Sark became part of the team, he would probably lose alot of his charm.

Well if i had to guess i would say it has something to do with syd, nadia, jack, or slone. In the description ABC give for the episode it says syd and nadia are arguing over nadia's relationship with slone. And i just added jack in there cuz im sure he would have something to say about the whole thing....but hey that is just my interpretation.

i agree with dotfar it may be syd and jack too :smiley:

and syd and nadia by the looks of things :smiley:

ConcreteGirl said:
Yah, too good to be true.  But then again, if Sark became part of the team, he would probably lose alot of his charm.
[post="1195370"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Yah, but if he joined the team, he would end up being bad in the long run, like Sloan. If would be fun if he was forced to go on a mission. You know like, when Irena went on her first mission with Sydney and Jack. (the explosive necklace)

:blowup:

Back