Drama Coach Carter

SecretAgentMan

Caution: Beware of Male
Drama

2 hrs. 14 min.

Inspired by true-life story of controversial high-school basketball coach Ken Carter, who received both high praise and staunch criticism when he made national news in 1999 for benching his entire undefeated basketball team for poor academic performance.

Release Date: January 8th, 2005 (sneak preview); January 14th, 2005 (nationwide).

MPAA Rating: PG-13 for violence, sexual content, language, teen partying and some drug material.

Distributor: Paramount Pictures

Starring: Samuel L Jackson, Robert Ri'chard, Rick Gonzalez, Ashanti, Adrienne Bailon
Directed by: Thomas Carter
Produced by: David Gale, Brian Robbins, Michael Tollin, Mike Tollin

TRAILERS

REVIEWS

I liked this movie a lot. I saw it on Saturday night. I was a little skeptical going in cause it's a MTV film and they like to hype teenage drugs and sex, haha. But it was actually pretty good. Samuel L. Jackson nails the part. The only thing I didn't like about the movie was Ashanti's role. Her storyline is that she's pregnant with one of the guy's on the basketball team's baby. And they kinda highlighted that storyline too much, maybe because she's a singer. Anyone could've played that role. That was the only thing I found annoying. Other than that, this movie was great.

I was actually pleasantly surprised with this movie. I didn't think that it looked good. To me, it looked like a formulaic "against the ropes" basketball movie and the "underdog" wins at the end.

It SO wasn't. There was emotion, humor, drama, EVERYTHING.

I actually was surprised by Ashanti as well. She was actually GOOD. I loved that storyline because it showed that the problems weren't just at school and grades and stuff.

The only thing that bugged me :MINOR SPOILERS:

NOBODY missed a shot in that ENTIRE movie. Every shot went it! LOL

I really liked that movie. I love basketball and couldn't believe how realistic it was, and it made me realize how much I hate suicides. God those are terrible.

Back