Coheed and Cambria- New Rock for a New Century

Hebime

Cadet
What? You haven't heard of Coheed and Cambria?
Sometimes labeled 'Emo' or 'Prog(ressive) Rock' these guys from NY are the most incredibly fresh new music I have heard since Evanescence.

Their work is such a wide range, from heavy guitars creating a metal edge to heartfelt ballands. Their vocalist Claudio Sanchez has a striking similarity to Geddy Lee's of Rush fame, but applies it to a strange and wonderful range of songs.

Another interesting thing about C&C is that their albums tell a epic sci-fi story, but C&C doesn't beat you over the head with it. You would only know it if you were told about it(and you have been...so nyaaa!) By that I mean you can enjoy the music on a surface level and not bother with the deeper meanings and connections, BUT deeper meanings and connections ARE there for the hardcore fans who become obsessed with their music(yeah, I'm obsessed, whateryagunnadoaboudit? *S*).

Their lyrics are very emotional and sometimes even disturbing, with a haunting quality that I have rarely if ever seen. They are definitely on the heavier side of the spectrum, but that doesn't stop them from having slower 'rock' style songs or emo style ballads.

They have 2 albums out right now, The Second Stage Turbine Blade and In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth:3. Their new album Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume 1 will be out next month.
(Yes, that's chapters 2, 3 and 4 of their story, chapter 1 will be the last one released...*S*)

Some of the issues of betrayal and rage delat with in their music makes it appear to be pretty appropriate to Alias. Here is the (best I can tell) lyrics to Welcome Home, the 1st single from the new album, which can be heard over at coheedand cambria.com:

Welcome Home
By Coheed and Cambria

You could have been all I wanted
But you weren't honest
Now get in the ground
You choked off the surest of favors
But if you really loved me
You would have endured my will

Well if you're just, as I presumed,
A wh*re in sheeps clothing
Fu*king up all I do

And if so here we stop
Then never again
Will you see this in your life

<chorus>
Hang onto the glory at my right hand
Here laid to rest is a love ever long
With truth on the shores of confession
You seem to take premise to all of these souls

You stormed off to scar the armada
Like Jesus played leader
I'll drill through your hands
The stone for the curse you have blamed me
With love and devotion, I'll die as you sleep

But if you could just write me out
To never this wonder
Happy will I become?
Be true that this is no option
So it's in, condemn you
Demon raiding my love

<chorus>

One last kiss for you
One more wish till you
Please make up your mind girl
I'd do anything for you
One last kiss for you
One more wish till you
Please make up your mind girl
Before I hope you die

Now tell me that doesn't remind you of Jack or even Vaughn after Lauren's betrayal?

Go check them out, you won't regret it.

Hebime

Back