college clique

hello. i realize that the majority of members on this board are in high school, so i decided to make this for college students. :D but of course, this is open to everyone - whether you're in college, want to go to college, know someone in college, live near a college....well, you get the idea. :smiley:

i'm going to the university of california at san diego. it wasn't my first choice (ucla was), but i don't have any regrets about going here at all. i love san diego to bits and pieces. :D

so where does everyone else go? or want to go?

Well, I go to the University of Calgary. Totally not where I want to go, but all I can afford right now. I'm praying to be able to transfer to UCSD or I'm looking at Fullerton now because it has an awesome communications program (which is what I'm in)

I'm going to community college this year. My first and only year. It's like high school, but with no detention. Last year, I was at Augustana College in Rock Island, IL. I might go back next year, but I also applied to Marquette (in Wisconsin), University of IL at Chicago, and North Central College (which is actually in the town that I live in, so that'd be annoying, yet convenient). I should find out within the next month where I've been accepted.
I'm finishing off my second year... only like 10 more to go! (I want to go to grad and med schools) What are you guys majoring in? I'm a psychology major, with a women/gender studies and either art or asian studies minors.

i'm a third year psychology major. with the way things are going, i might be able to graduate a quarter early!! *knocks on wood* i was thinking about minoring in italian studies, but there weren't enough good italian classes being offered, so i couldn't.

so do you know what you're going to do after college? i'm a little freaked out and panicky about thinking that far ahead. :blink: but it's coming soon so i better start thinking hard!!

lol, don't panic, you've still got time :smiley:

Yeah, I'm in my third year too, and I'm hoping that I can actually graduate next year. Then I'm planning on taking a total slack year, and just do languages. Then, I'm going to transfer down to the states, so I can hopefully get work there since that's where I want to wind up. I can't handle the cold weather here in Canada any more. ;)

So crazy, how much longer until you graduate?

so do you know what you're going to do after college? i'm a little freaked out and panicky about thinking that far ahead.  but it's coming soon so i better start thinking hard!!

Well, I don't know *exactly* what I want to do, but probably something with neuropsychology, 'cause all those neurotransmitters fascinate me. Or maybe I'll tie the psychology in with the women's studies... If I do counseling, I want to counsel adolescents. Otherwise, I want to do research and teach at some university. But that's what I say now. Within 2 years, my plans might change. But I am bound and determined to get into med school.

well, i'm definitely thinking about grad school. but i'm not sure what field i want to go into. probably experimental rather than clinical. and i'm thinking about exploring either developmental psychology or forensic psychology. but i'm still really unsure about everything. my grades aren't the best and i don't really know any professors well enough to ask them for letters of recommendation, so...yeah. :confused:

still freaked out and panicky. :blink:

wow, very impressive you guys. I feel so unaccomplished now since I'm only going to do what I have to to get my degree and that's it. I'm soooooo not a school person.

im applying to UHawaii and UOregon this summer....they both have undergraduate physical therapy programs, and are cheap, so thats prolly where ill end up going.

still freaked out and panicky.

Aw! That's natural though. I'm sure I'll be there too, in a year. :confused:

As for the teacher recommendations, I had the same problem recently when I was sending in my transfer apps! Since I'm at a comm. college for one year, the only teacher I've had more than one class with is my Japanese teacher, and he's freaky. So I had to fish around for recommendations... not fun. One thing that has me a little worried... I was supposed to take psych. statistics this year, but my comm. college doesn't offer it, so I'm behind my schedule. Ah! See, I was such a disorganized student in HS that I'm taking it a little too far now. ;)

lenkid said:
wow, very impressive you guys. I feel so unaccomplished now since I'm only going to do what I have to to get my degree and that's it. I'm soooooo not a school person.
what are you talking about? i'm not really doing anything more than i have to to graduate either. :P which is not really a good thing if i want to go to grad school. school has completely burnt me out. :blink: i think i may take a break after i graduate from ucsd.

Existentialist said:
still freaked out and panicky.

Aw! That's natural though. I'm sure I'll be there too, in a year. :confused:

As for the teacher recommendations, I had the same problem recently when I was sending in my transfer apps! Since I'm at a comm. college for one year, the only teacher I've had more than one class with is my Japanese teacher, and he's freaky. So I had to fish around for recommendations... not fun. One thing that has me a little worried... I was supposed to take psych. statistics this year, but my comm. college doesn't offer it, so I'm behind my schedule. Ah! See, I was such a disorganized student in HS that I'm taking it a little too far now. ;)
yeah, i'm sort of dreading the letters of rec. and the GRE. sigh. :confused:

and as for the stat class, can you try taking it at another comm college and transfering the credits?

I thought about it, but all the other comm. colleges are at least an hour away, and a lot of them don't offer it either. So I'm just going to have to take an extra class next year. I suppose it won't kill me.

Grr I agree! :angry: But so goes life, right?

Like my christian ethics class last year that messed me up royally. I guess that's what I get for going to a Lutheran school.

you know, sometimes i wonder what it would've been like if i had gone to college REALLY far away. ucsd isn't THAT far from where i live; i'm still in the same state - just on the other end of it. :D but sometimes i wonder what it would've been like to go to college aaaaall the way on the east coast. my parents DEFINITELY would've been pissed. they didn't even want me going to ucsd (even though its psychology program is one of the best in the nation) because it was almost five hundred miles away from home. imagine if i was THOUSANDS of miles away from home. :blink:

Back