College/ Universities

You should live on campus for one year just to get the experience, for better or for worse. There are moments, both good and bad when you live in a dorm. But thne like I moved out the 2nd year with friends.

Xin Li

I'm really a privacy freak person so I would love to either get my own place right away or sublet with people that I know really well. Sadly, the financial problem is a minor setback. Guess I have to work my butt off and save a load of money now.

G$f3arl3ssG$ said:
Question: Is living off campus better or should I live in a dorm?
[post="1130243"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Yeh, living on campus is definitely better. Living at home still has its perks (like free food), but getting that time to live on your own is important.

G$f3arl3ssG$ said:
I'm really a privacy freak person so I would love to either get my own place right away or sublet with people that I know really well. Sadly, the financial problem is a minor setback. Guess I have to work my butt off and save a load of money now.
[post="1131110"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Ohh you get over that privacy/cleanliness thing real fast once you live in the dorms for a bit. But really the dorm experience is worth having, even for justa short while.

iheartalias said:
Yeh, living on campus is definitely better. Living at home still has its perks (like free food), but getting that time to live on your own is important.
[post="1131409"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Well I didn't mean live at home. I definitely advocate living on campus. Lots more to do, and more interaction. But you can still live in an apartment with some good friends and pretty much get all the benefits of living in a dorm and being close to campus.

I have a question for those poly sci people...
Do you know anything about the Foreign Affairs school @ Georgetown? Is it harder to get into then the regular school?

Also... I recall someone saying that MIT is a Ivy League school...it's not.

xinli11 said:

Well I didn't mean live at home.  I definitely advocate living on campus. Lots more to do, and more interaction.  But you can still live in an apartment with some good friends and pretty much get all the benefits of living in a dorm and being close to campus.
[post="1131758"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Ohhhhh, ok, gotcha. Well I've done all three, LoL - I'm in my forth year of college and the first year I lived in a dorm, the second year I commuted from home, and these past two years I've had an apartment. The winner: the apartment. By far. :lol:

iheartalias said:
Ohhhhh, ok, gotcha. Well I've done all three, LoL - I'm in my forth year of college and the first year I lived in a dorm, the second year I commuted from home, and these past two years I've had an apartment. The winner: the apartment. By far. :lol:
[post="1133036"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Yeah had friends who lived 6 blocks off from the center of the campus. And that was considered off campus, and got off campus rates. But 6 blocks is nothing. We'd just walk to campus and it was all good.

I've yet to decide which college I'm going to, but the school I'm at right now has given me a chance to experience dorm life, which I've found quite rewarding. I've yet to try getting an apartment and the commuting from home option would depend on which university I go to!

I should be planning for college now...but it's been rather difficult to decide which college i want to go to lol i don't even know what I want to major in! Alias has made me interested in poly sci. my previous interests were in chemistry and biology, which i can credit to watching dark angel. i'm still intersted in those. too many interests...how does one decide?! *sighs*

Well your college experience will encompass more than just the academic aspect. One good place to start is the PrincetonReview.com website. They have a list of colleges ranked by different criterias. So even if the college you want isn't on there, it will at least give you an idea of which factors you should be considering when choosing.

Xin Li

Majored in computer science. Right now getting a masters degree in the same subject. Will be done in a year, and will continue to pursue a MBA.

I'm still in highschool, but I want to major in Architecture and maybe CAD, also something in math, but I really want to also minor in French or another language maybe Latin, gosh, I really dunno what I want, lol

Before getting your hopes up of living off campus your first year of college... a LOT of schools will not let their first years (and sometimes sophomores too) live off campus, unless they are living with parents and commuting. I lived one year in a dorm (because I was only at that school one year, then went to a community college for a year, then was old enough to live in an off-campus apartment) and I hated one of my roommates and it wasn't a completely positive experience for me, but you definately miss out by not living on campus for at least one year.

The one thing I am apprehensive about the most is being stuck all year with someone I hate. I'm just picky, picky about certain things, lol. I think it can almost be OCD.

Right now I have no idea what college to choose or what major to pick. I am hopelessly lost and indecisive.

Well, first year is tough, because you don't really get to pikc your roommate, if you live on campus. And as someone else said, you usually don't get a choice and have to live on campus for at least one year. That was the policy at my school. To a degree, you'll just have to deal with your roommate and work out compromises. But things get too bad, you can speak to your floor's Resident Advisor and request a room change.

As for the colleges, it's OK if you don't know what major you want. A lot of students don't, and sometimes they even change their major. Now if you have an Idea of what you might want to pursue, you might pick a school with a stronger background in those areas. But honestly, undergraduate programs are all pretty much the same. You might also consider taking general education classes at a lesser known college, and transfer into a college that fits your major better after two years. And so it's OK if you don't know your major just yet. Because you can just take gen ed classes at a local college. By the time you are a sophmore or junior, especially junior, you should have an idea of what you want to focus on. At that point, transfer to a good university and take major specific classes.

As far as choosing a college, look beyond it's academic credentials. Look to what's the teacher/student ratio, what campus organizations are there? How much cultural diversity is there? Religious organizations (if you are so inclined). Campus life in general, how many parties, bars per square mile, etc...

HTH

Xin Li

Thanks for the insight. I have about a year and a half left to take action. Overachiever that I am, I'm deciding to transfer straight to a four year university out of high school. That depends if I actually do good on my SAT's and I actually get accepted to the schools that I apply for.

Back