Combined Class Abilities

An interesting post from the official boards - food for thought.

Hi everyone, I'm sorry if this topic has been covered already but I am new to these forums and find them difficult to navigate or search. I'm sure I'll figure it out in time but here goes...

I think the dual class idea is great. However, my understanding of it is that if I am a Warrior/Wizard, I will use a wizard ability like shooting a fireball at a mob while its far away and then use warrior melee abilities when it is close. Maybe I would switch back to a wizard snare as it tries to run away then go back to warrior abilities to finish it off quickly.

Well, what if there were "combined abilities" that went along with the combined classes?

In other words, if I was a Warrior/Wizard in real life I would certainly use my abilities independently but IN ADDITION I would probably combine my abilities together and light my sword on fire while swinging away at the enemy. If I was a Ranger/Rogue, I may apply poison to my arrows. If I was a Necromancer/Healer, I mgiht have a spell that drains my enemy's life while filling my health at the same time (a life drain).

If its not clear yet, my definition of a "combined ability" is an ability that only exists with a certain class combination. Only a Ranger/Wizard can shoot "Ice Arrows", not a Ranger/Necro. But the Ranger/Necro can have an undead pet thats more powerful than his regular pet.

It would be great if there could be 72 "combined abilities"; one for each possible combination. If you want to be really ambitious, maybe have an additional 72 uber combined abilities when people hit level 35 or 50. If 72 different abilities is just too much, maybe there can be just 35 abilities (I think thats the correct number), meaning a Bard/Rogue would get the same ability as a Rogue/Bard. I would prefer a Rogue/Bard having a different "combined ability" than a Bard/Rogue with the different abilities focusing on the primary job but I could settle for them sharing.

Is there any chance that this game will provide special combined class abilities such as the ones I just mentioned? They could be standard abilities or uber abilities that you can only use once per hour (or both depending on the class combo and the ability).

I think it could really add a lot of flavor to the dual class option. I also think it could be a really fun way to give some incentive to more odd combinations. I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot of Healer/Clerics or Gearknight/Warriors but I would like to see some unique combos such as a Rogue/Wizard or Necromancer/Gearknight. Maybe a good incentive for such combos would be to give them better combined abilities and the obvious combinations (like a Healer/Cleric) would get a mediocre one.

Well, let me know what you think. And if this topic has already been covered, let me know what the verdict was.

Thanks!

That actually is a ver fine idea.
Undead Pet made me smile...
even if I dont play Necros myself I'd love to see a Necroranger with an undead wolf...

very good idea

This sounds like a great idea.

I hope it goes this route personally. I'm more than a little bored with the status quo and if HJ seeks to break some ground then there should be a total remolding of the hole 'class structure' by unstructuring it.

Shatter the thing.

I no longer want to be pigeonheld by that structure save for maybe a slight preponderance in the initial stages. But as my character would advance I'd like options to deviate, mix-and-match etc.

If I see a particular skill from a Warior that I like, but my class was say a Healer then why couldn't I be able to obtain/earn that skill? Sure it probably wouldn't be as effective damage wise in the hands of another class but I would love the opportunity to develope a character in such a manner. To make it unique skill wise as well as with it's appearance and yes.. give that a unique Title to boot.

I see no problem with this approach at all.

I thought one of the proposed formats of this that we figured out was that there would be 'combo class' specific abilities? But only a handful?

If they only did a handfull I think most would moreso play the professions that could "multi-class" (as it were) due to the flexibility.

Besides...

In Hero's Journey, you take an item and hone its abilities to produce, perhaps, a unique item with capabilities that complement a specific style of play, maybe even a specific character. It isn't about pushing a button and watching a progress bar; it's about how you advance the item over time, the effort you put into it and your personal craftsmanship during this process. Imagine having even having to go on special quests to try and unlock the power of an item's enhancement. Its fun, its compelling and in the end, isn't that what the word "craft" really means?

I know this wasn't a crafting question per se, but it is impossible to talk about items and not go right into this because we're doing something no one else has ever attempted." - IGN Interview

How can you 'craft a character' over time if you don't have full access to the skill/talent pool? You can't. Currently and for years prior, characters level up and acquire a predetermined set of skills and armour. In this regard someone else made up your mind for you and we've become accustomed to it.

"Hero's Journey begins with a base of nine character classes. Players are allowed to choose from the list twice -- one primary and one secondary. These composite classes are what form a character's "profession", and determine which abilities she will gain access to the quickest."

"Ultimately, though, whatever the player decides to make, he will have a wide selection of Abilities to choose from and modify (using Wyr) to make the character he always dreamed of. " -About Multiclassing

So the "class" pattern is no longer set in stone. You will build/craft your character(s) as you see fit. If you want to steer more towards you ideal of a classic class... do that and enjoy it. If you want creative freedom (aka "hybrid") ... do that and enjoy. Im glad someone FINALLY!!! gave me the option instead of predetermining what my character's skills/talents will be.

I didn't know that was public information, but yes there is more to your character than a set of predetermined abilities. One warrior/ranger can (and probably will be) different from another warrior/ranger, especially AFTER they add wyr into it!

I figured unique abilities would happen but would be gained according to how we each uniquely play our character. This person's idea sounds good on paper but it takes away from player uniquness.

I figured unique abilities would happen but would be gained according to how we each uniquely play our character.

The article seems to say that initial class selection will determine to which skills access is gained "quickest". Not that the skill selection is limited by the class choice. Its also seems only speculation that skills will be unique via their combinations and/or how uniquely the character is played.

I thought one of the proposed formats of this that we figured out was that there would be 'combo class' specific abilities? But only a handful?

That's another option they have obviously but i've found nothing specifically saying that. But one has to assume there will be initial class specific abilities. Of course the cat is not out of the bag yet so it remains to be seen.

...yes there is more to your character than a set of predetermined abilities. One warrior/ranger can (and probably will be) different from another warrior/ranger, especially AFTER they add wyr into it!

And then there's Wyr as mentioned. Which seems to affect both of the above aspects entirely. It seems that there would *have* to be some initial class specific starting skills but where one goes from there will be up to one's own character ideals. It sounds like Wyr are used to then direct the potencies of the abilities after you earn/purchase/choose and socket them.

Which is where the whole 'Unique' aspect comes into play imho. If you want a 'Pure Warrior' then use Wyr to increase damage with Sword, increase Defense with shield, add some Healing etc.

But at the same time someone else could become a Spell Casting; Battle Axe weilding Wizard with an Undead Rakshaal pet to boot depending upon Wyr placement.

*If* true, it amazes me that they can balance all that.

All speculative extrapolation from the articles of course.

The article seems to say that initial class selection will determine to which skills access is gained "quickest". Not that the skill selection is limited by the class choice. Its also seems only speculation that skills will be unique via their combinations and/or how uniquely the character is played.

That's another option they have obviously but i've found nothing specifically saying that. But one has to assume there will be initial class specific abilities. Of course the cat is not out of the bag yet so it remains to be seen.

And then there's Wyr as mentioned. Which seems to affect both of the above aspects entirely. It seems that there would *have* to be some initial class specific starting skills but where one goes from there will be up to one's own character ideals. It sounds like Wyr are used to then direct the potencies of the abilities after you earn/purchase/choose and socket them.

Which is where the whole 'Unique' aspect comes into play imho. If you want a 'Pure Warrior' then use Wyr to increase damage with Sword, increase Defense with shield, add some Healing etc.

But at the same time someone else could become a Spell Casting; Battle Axe weilding Wizard with an Undead Rakshaal pet to boot depending upon Wyr placement.

*If* true, it amazes me that they can balance all that.

All speculative extrapolation from the articles of course.

I DO know they're not worried about balancing classes. So ---- it.
I think class balance is just as stupid as dual classing. I'm hoping they fix the lot of it.

I DO know they're not worried about balancing classes. So ---- it.
I think class balance is just as stupid as dual classing. I'm hoping they fix the lot of it.

I'm not worried... you get it. 'fixing' it would be reigning it back into traditional fair.

You may not like it.

But you get it.

I have no qualms for a system that opens up to allowing individuals to customize there character and skills to a greater degree than i've experienced hertofore as opposed to the traditional cube we've been placed in.

Thaos said:
I have no qualms for a system that opens up to allowing individuals to customize there character and skills to a greater degree than i've experienced hertofore as opposed to the traditional cube we've been placed
As long as they don't try to equalize us all, because that allows for less choice in the class you're playing and less RP, Maybe you don't want to be equal... I had another good reason but I can't remember...

Back