Combined Class Abilities

Having two classes gives you many more options character-wise and that is very good, as the system will not feel so class-based when there are many, many variations (81!) and therefore lots of "subclasses."

Hopefully, they'll also make the game forgiving enough that having a "fun" combination doesn't make you a liability. Some powergamers are inevitable (i.e., folks that will only accept the 4 "best" combinations), but I hope kind of thing can be limited.

I'm not a power gamer by any stretch of the imagination, but I have played games before where you just plain couldn't do certain things class and race-wise, and still play the game the way it was meant to be played.

Hopefully, they'll also make the game forgiving enough that having a "fun" combination doesn't make you a liability. Some powergamers are inevitable (i.e., folks that will only accept the 4 "best" combinations), but I hope kind of thing can be limited.

I'm not a power gamer by any stretch of the imagination, but I have played games before where you just plain couldn't do certain things class and race-wise, and still play the game the way it was meant to be played.

Or worse, not get a group because people claimed "Your class combo sucks."

Hate that mentality.

Or worse, not get a group because people claimed "Your class combo sucks."

Hate that mentality.

Aye, same here. I never could understand powergamer mentality. What possible fun can they gain from just "min-maxing" (to borrow a PnP RPG term) their characters? By min-maxing I mean that you consider your character to be a set of numbers and abilities only and character creation is a game of working out the best (maybe I should say bestest) combination of race and class and what have you, so that you minimize penalties and maximize bonuses as well as you can (like it's a math test). To them, any character not done by this golden road of min-maxing is a faulty and unplayable character. Don't even try to talk to them about character concept or character background. (Note: I do not wish to sound elitist here, just expressing my "humble" point of view.)

After reading the little interview blurb... and playing DragonRealms... it sounds like the way levels will work (and healers, EMPTHS!!) is going to end up fairly similar.

That's the best thing I've heard all day... and it's going to be very hard to judge someone on their skill simply by "wht classes r u?" I think. :smiley:

After reading the little interview blurb... and playing DragonRealms... it sounds like the way levels will work (and healers, EMPTHS!!) is going to end up fairly similar.

That's the best thing I've heard all day... and it's going to be very hard to judge someone on their skill simply by "wht classes r u?" I think. :smiley:

So HJ is going to have Empths? Great. Another game I can't get healed in.

it's going to be very hard to judge someone on their skill simply by "wht classes r u?"

Thank Elvis for that! I hate rigid class molds that make e.g. two warriors or two rangers nearly identical in their skills and abilities. "Oh look, there's a level 18 Thief. Well, he can stealth and do Quick Strike 2, but not do the Backstab 2 nor Poison Dart 3. Good thing he cannot wear anything but leather armor and can use only daggers as his class does not allow anything else. Let's attack him, I know we can beat him." Aaargh! I am so weary of these kind of games. Give me liberty (in character creation)!

Thank Elvis for that! I hate rigid class molds that make e.g. two warriors or two rangers nearly identical in their skills and abilities. "Oh look, there's a level 18 Thief. Well, he can stealth and do Quick Strike 2, but not do the Backstab 2 nor Poison Dart 3. Good thing he cannot wear anything but leather armor and can use only daggers as his class does not allow anything else. Let's attack him, I know we can beat him." Aaargh! I am so weary of these kind of games. Give me liberty (in character creation)!

I would hate abilities say, in WoW, that were so crucial to a party's sucess people said "Well, if you aren't in that tree, with that skill, I'm not inviting you."

Sigh.

So HJ is going to have Empths? Great. Another game I can't get healed in.

And Nill, all you have to do is charm some kindly healers. >.> In fact, I go to the bard guild to get healed, usually there's an empath hanging out there. <cough>

And Nil, all you have to do is charm some kindly healers. >.> In fact, I go to the bard guild to get healed, usually there's an empath hanging out there. <cough>

Well, it's not the finding of willing healers that's the problem - in fact, I fled from one last night.

It's that they make all those terrible pain-filled noises while they heal you. I feel guilty about being healed.

Well, it's not the finding of willing healers that's the problem - in fact, I fled from one last night.

It's that they make all those terrible pain-filled noises while they heal you. I feel guilty about being healed.

AHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAHHAHA

Oh right.

Yeah... But Vahsyl got over it. After all, that's how they level up. Though that's pretty darn funny. In order to get your character healed we're going to have to tie her down.

Yeah...Zanafer was slightly upset when you bolted away from him. If you really do not wish to be healed though, there's an option you can set. You'd want to use the verb AVOID. I think the exact command you want is "avoid !touch" without the quotes. If you set that option, empaths won't be able to heal you.

Yeah...Zanafer was slightly upset when you bolted away from him.

Well, I did apologize profusely for any offense.

If you really do not wish to be healed though, there's an option you can set. You'd want to use the verb AVOID. I think the exact command you want is "avoid !touch" without the quotes. If you set that option, empaths won't be able to heal you.

I don't want to do that. There's an RP aspect I'd lose - and if I'm ever really hurt, I won't have much choice in the matter.

I don't think I'll ever let myself so hurt I'm ever close to death. If I can help it, that is. :smiley:

That's usually a good idea if possible ;) Keep in mind the more injuries you have, the more it affects your ability to fight and perform other tasks.

To keep things back on topic, I very much like the Empath healing system and would love to see something somewhat like it in HJ. It's far better than your standard "spam this heal spell to keep myself and my friends alive" healing mentality in every other mmorpg.

What I think I like most about an empath like healer is the fact that when they heal their patients, the would doesn't magically vanish and everything's better. There's no pointing of glowing fingers to make that disfiguring burn go 'poof'.

Also, and I think Vahsyl said it best, healers shouldn't be charging out into battle shouting "RAWR, DIE!" in my opinion anyway. I'd love to see a healer based on the empaths in HJ as well :smiley:

Also, and I think Vahsyl said it best, healers shouldn't be charging out into battle shouting "RAWR, DIE!" in my opinion anyway. I'd love to see a healer based on the empaths in HJ as well :smiley:

So just because someone can heal, they're pacifists?

I don't see the problem with deities granting healing. It also stands to reason that the dieties would want their clerics furthering their interests - and in a violent world, combat would be part of that.

I don't see the problem with deities granting healing. It also stands to reason that the dieties would want their clerics furthering their interests - and in a violent world, combat would be part of that.

I just like that in DR the -best- healers are pacifists. It makes sense. You can't be a healer who senses other's pain, and takes it in them to heal themselves, and then go out and be able to kill something. It makes sense in THAT world, and is extremely unique.

I don't mind games that allow classes to heal and kill. Sometimes that's fun, for the healer. I DO however notice that the people who often pick the healer class who are not "good" healers, in these games, are selfish players who only care about healing themselves, and how much damage they can do. I think that DR creates players who play a healing class who REALLY get behind the right mentality, and who also love helping others.

From what I've seen so far anyway. :smiley:

I wouldn't say they're pacifists, but in the case of Empaths they can be around other people in combat and support them, just not fight themselves. There does exist "Battle Empaths", I know for a fact that there are Empaths out there with better defensive abilities than I have. If Empaths in DR could attack, they would be a very imbalanced class.

Funny that you say something like that. Although healers aren't quite empaths in Hero's Journey, I did just make a character concept picture of Claes today with the caption "Just because one works for peace does not mean one must stand for idiocy."

Back