Space Comet ISON

Azhria Lilu

Captain
Scientists have been tracking ISON for the past year, as it travels toward the inner solar system. On Thursday it's due to go through the corona of the sun itself.

The comet is around 4.6 billion years old – putting its formation at the very beginning of the solar system, and it's been sitting quietly (minding its own business) in the outer reaches of the sun’s gravitational field for pretty much the entire time (not the most exciting of lifes right?)

But interestingly, recently Ison was knocked out of the distant Oort cloud and started on a journey towards the sun. That light-year-long trip is very nearly at an end, and astronomers still aren't sure it will survive the experience.

In a BBC Horizon Special on the comet last night, Dr Matthew Knight said there are three possible scenarios for what will happen on 28 November.

Option one is for the comet to be pulled apart by the gravitational force of the sun, stretching it beyond breaking point and forcing it to explode as it leaves the corona. Ison is an average-to-small sized comet, making this scenario a real risk.

Option two is for Ison to succumb to the heat of the sun. Comets are largely made up of ice and other frozen gases, and while this one is a “star-grazer”, expected to only pass the sun once, it could experience heat of up to 2,000C and may simply fizzle out.

The third and final scenario is the one Dr Knight, who has studied Ison for a year and recently became the first scientist to ever capture it on camera, is hoping for.

As the comet flies through the corona, the gases could heat up and ignitejust enough to produce a tail burning off in the wake of Ison’s flight, but not enough to destroy it completely.

If this does happen, then people in Earth’s northern hemisphere will be able to witness the most extraordinary display in the night sky. Ison could appear as a bright object near the horizon, with a tail extending all the way behind it.

If Ison does survive its brush with the sun, it will be visible from the 3 December onwards for almost the entire month.

Think this is pretty exciting and kinda hoping for option three myself :D I imagine there will be lots of people scientists and stargazers alike – with fingers firmly crossed and eyes fixed on the sky this Thursday.

Attachments

• ison.jpg
    ison.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 99
Scientists have been tracking ISON for the past year, as it travels toward the inner solar system. On Thursday it's due to go through the corona of the sun itself.

The comet is around 4.6 billion years old – putting its formation at the very beginning of the solar system, and it's been sitting quietly (minding its own business) in the outer reaches of the sun’s gravitational field for pretty much the entire time (not the most exciting of lifes right?)

But interestingly, recently Ison was knocked out of the distant Oort cloud and started on a journey towards the sun. That light-year-long trip is very nearly at an end, and astronomers still aren't sure it will survive the experience.

In a BBC Horizon Special on the comet last night, Dr Matthew Knight said there are three possible scenarios for what will happen on 28 November.

Option one is for the comet to be pulled apart by the gravitational force of the sun, stretching it beyond breaking point and forcing it to explode as it leaves the corona. Ison is an average-to-small sized comet, making this scenario a real risk.

Option two is for Ison to succumb to the heat of the sun. Comets are largely made up of ice and other frozen gases, and while this one is a “star-grazer”, expected to only pass the sun once, it could experience heat of up to 2,000C and may simply fizzle out.

The third and final scenario is the one Dr Knight, who has studied Ison for a year and recently became the first scientist to ever capture it on camera, is hoping for.

As the comet flies through the corona, the gases could heat up and ignitejust enough to produce a tail burning off in the wake of Ison’s flight, but not enough to destroy it completely.

If this does happen, then people in Earth’s northern hemisphere will be able to witness the most extraordinary display in the night sky. Ison could appear as a bright object near the horizon, with a tail extending all the way behind it.

If Ison does survive its brush with the sun, it will be visible from the 3 December onwards for almost the entire month.

Think this is pretty exciting and kinda hoping for option three myself :D I imagine there will be lots of people scientists and stargazers alike – with fingers firmly crossed and eyes fixed on the sky this Thursday.

I really hope the comet makes it's brush past the sun myself since they say it'll be visible to the naked eye.

personally though, it's at the limit where the suns gravity is going to pull and stretch at it causing it to break up. Then it has to withstand the 2million degrees corona heat so personally, i think it'll be destroyed but hopeful it will survive so we're able to see it fly back into deep space through December.

Back