Community Building in HJ

Kretan

Cadet
While reading a portion of the economy thread I was simply thinking about what made me feel like a part of the community in the only MMORPG I've played for an extended time.

One of which was the Community Chest (actually a bench) in which many characters would place items that were particularly beneficial to younger (lower level, new, etc) characters. Also, healing herbs and such were always available....it sort of made you feel like part of the community once you progressed from using the items, to being the one placing them there. Obviously, you can probably always give the items directly to another character... but I always liked the idea of the Community Chest kind of thing.

One of the other uses of said communal bench was to place huge amounts of food and drink in order to carry on and have a good time with other characters. A lot easier than just passing it out.

I know there has been talk of Guild Banks, etc...but I rarely ever join guilds if I can help it. (which means lately in the MMORPG world I don't get to enjoy end game content as much) But, I'd like to see some Community aspects implement outside the guild/clan whatever structure.

I was curious if any of these types of things/actions were going to be available in Hero's Journey. I hadn't read anything to that affect, but then again I probably haven't read everything available.

I haven't seen anything like that mentioned but it would be nice.

In EQ we used to place items on mobs, which when killed by the lowbies that had gathered would rate a helpful item. Or we would do lore quizes that would reward a lowbie character an item.

I like the idea of a communal location though, perhaps a table or bench, where items can be set down. My one worry is, that like in all MMORPGs, the jerks and greedy wads will show up to simply steal it all and log out.

Difference between a MUD and a MMORPG, just one mind you, is that the MMORPG is much larger therefor far more hard to monitor, even by the player community. So things like ninja looting and scams and stealing happen constantly.

Won't stop us from making up activities that assist newer characters. Always a fun past time.

Originally posted by Seeria@Jun 15 2006, 04:50 PM
My one worry is, that like in all MMORPGs, the jerks and greedy wads will show up to simply steal it all and log out.

Difference between a MUD and a MMORPG, just one mind you, is that the MMORPG is much larger therefor far more hard to monitor, even by the player community. So things like ninja looting and scams and stealing happen constantly.
Yeah, I'm very aware of the difference....but I'm sort of hoping with this release the line between the two will blur a little. :smiley:

This is actually a really interesting concept. I think it would work if some how a level cap was put in place and a certain amount of items per char was set up but you'd probably still run into problems. Also getting your first set of armor in most games the hard way is part of the fun and gives a sense of accomplishment when your done.

But at the same point I can see where this would make newer people to the game feel like the community supports them and makes them part of the game. So either way I hope something like this comes into play.

On the one hand, it sounds like a humanitarian and social thing to do.

But on the other, really all you're doing is giving handouts to anonymous lowbies, who then are more apt to develop "gimme syndrome." You're not even giving them an incentive to talk to other players - they just go and grab new gear from the box.

I vote thee Nay. The socioeconomic ramifications are too damaging to ignore.

Originally posted by Riceman@Jun 15 2006, 09:25 PM

But on the other, really all you're doing is giving handouts to anonymous lowbies, who then are more apt to develop "gimme syndrome." You're not even giving them an incentive to talk to other players - they just go and grab new gear from the box.

Well, I've seen it work in other games. And there were no "damaging socioeconomic ramifications".

I always found it enjoyable to restock said "bench, barrel" etc with healing herbs, food, for all to use as needed. And there was always interaction regardless. It was actually something I missed with World of Warcraft. No real sense of belonging except if you happend to be part of some guild...or what not. And even then, not much interaction regardless.

There is always ways to build a system. I'm sure Simutronics if they really wanted to could work something out like this idea.

My guild in Dark Age of Camelot was formed to do such things. We worked our way up to high levels, and took on crafting. When all was said and done, we did alot of Keep raids and dragon raids, and then took a set amount of gold and player crafted items, and hopped from one town to another offering our goods and services to low players.

No more than 10g to each to start off, and a free suit of player crafted armor and weapon of choice. Some folks developed the gimme attitude, some did not. Those who did not eventually found our guild, and either joined, or tried to get their guild leaders to join ours in an alliance. We became known as one of the 'help guilds' for our willingness to stop and answer newbie questions whenever we were hit with one. It was fairly fun. Of course, could have just been the guild name, Runs with Scissors B)

~ Jaraeth

If you limit the amount taken and how often you can take, then no one should develop a "gimme" attitude. Like Jar said, if you only allow a certain amount, and don't make it game altering, just a bit to help out, it should be fine. It's just a way to help get people on their feet, and not everyone will use it, some people want to do all the work themselves, but if your new to the game, this could help you out a bit.

I originally thought of this idea as a retirement option but I think it would fall under community building as well. I always find it hard when those really well-loved active leaders, the healer that always sits in the town center and heals people, that raid leader that always leads the most organized and fun raids, etc retire from the game. It would be really fun if there was a way for them to be immortalized in game as true "heros" that all would remember. With the amount of personalization that Simutronics is going to allow at character development I envision a real "Heros Hall" where life-sized statues of these worthy people could be placed even after they leave the game.

Now I realize if everyone were to get their own statue the landscape would quickly become riddled with them so here is where the community part comes into play. First of all you would have to become eligible, maybe be at the level cap (if they make one) or reach a certain level if they don't, do deeds that earn hero points somehow, etc. Have the system so only one new hero is inducted into the Hall every month by popular vote. Let the heralds toll out to the people in game that the election starts and whoever wins is inducted into the Hall for all time. This rewards those players who go out of their way to become leaders in the community.

Now with that said since I am not one of those high profile people there could be lots of other things that could be done with such a system. You could have a few misc bind points around the town for those who don't want to play the politics who could buy (with some outrageously high donation) their own spot . You could have a wall or path where people could purchase or earn a small stone with their name on it and a 20 letter inspirational message or something. Guild houses with membership walls, abilities to upload a screenshot and have it turn into a wall painting in your house or guild house. You could make the statue thing a class thing so you could have a hall of healers, and hall of scouts, etc. I just think it would really personalize and have the community leave their mark on the world. Imagine going to a different server and seeing a totally different monument and personalized landscape over time.

Again, I originally thought of this idea as an ending for those were going to cancel their accounts and therefore once they were inducted into the hall their character was done and only the stuff of legends but I really see a system that could have lots of other applications if implemented. Anyways just an idea to throw out there.

I like the OPs idea, It reminds me of how cool it was when I used to play shilla back in 1999. Nothing was soulbound so anybody can give anything away. As for preventing "negative" attitudes, that's really not possible. People will form them no matter what so might as well keep options open. There is no escape from the "gimmes" and there is no reason to want to escape from them. It's good to have an interesting and diverse variety of people in the game. "Hardcore" people that will truly want to get everything themselves will do that anyways, so for those folks no difference will be made. As for dealing with jerks, jerks will be in the game regardless so no need to punish the good players from having fun just because a few jeks are on.

Originally posted by Kretan+Jun 15 2006, 06:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kretan @ Jun 15 2006, 06:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Riceman@Jun 15 2006, 09:25 PM

Well, I've seen it work in other games. And there were no "damaging socioeconomic ramifications".

I always found it enjoyable to restock said "bench, barrel" etc with healing herbs, food, for all to use as needed. And there was always interaction regardless. It was actually something I missed with World of Warcraft. No real sense of belonging except if you happend to be part of some guild...or what not. And even then, not much interaction regardless. [/b][/quote]
How many of those games were graphical MMORPGs, and how many were text-based MU*s? The two have very different target audiences; this would have an effect on how the gimme box was used.

There would be an easy way to restrict and stop the greedfest. Just put a limit on how many times in a given amount of time some one can take from the bench or chest or w/e.

They can only take a set of armor once, and for food and herbs and whatnot, once every two days or something. Have level groups too. This seems like a very good idea to me.

Originally posted by Feywin@Jun 18 2006, 12:41 PM
I envision a real "Heros Hall" where life-sized statues of these worthy people could be placed even after they leave the game.
Now thats a cool idea! Maybe even have the status of current in game heros or powerful characters.

Back