Politics Confederate Flag

What are your thoughts about the Confederate Flag?

Should it be taken out of all the the Southern State Flags?

Does it incite hate or is it heritage?

~KM

Since I'm from the North I don't see it as representing heritage. Most people up here who display a confederate flag do so as a racist/white supremecy statment.

As for people from the South, they may see it as something completely different than we do. I'd actually be interested in hearing their responses.

The people who display the Confederate flag (I'm from up North) and support 'all that it stands for' irritate me. Ignorance. I don't think they support it because it stands for Southern heritage.

Well I am from the south I see it as heritage. I like it and I have Dixie Girl shirts and all. I dont think I'm racist I dont think I'm better then any black people and I dont support slavery or any of that but since my town is southern pride and have like a civil war battle (its a huge event in my town).

I think is too often displayed as something that is negative, but too many of us from the south we see it as something our heritage gone tho and what not

~KM

i'm from the South and i have ancestors that fought for the Confederacy. yes the flag is part of my heritage, but it's a heritage that i am absolutely not proud of. i think the flag incites memories of hate and oppression, and considering that seceding from the union pretty much added up to treason, i don't think it should be in any of the state flags.

I don't think people should be displaying the flag not only because I think it's stand for racism but because the people who are mostly likely to display this kind of thing are the same vehement patriots who place the confederate flag bumper stickers along side the "united we stand" bumper sticker, which I think is rather hypocritical considering the confederate flag stands for a heritage that was so fed up with America they fought to form their own country. I think this goes 10 fold for the government buildings who fly the flag so proudly along with the American flag.

Then again I think private citizens should display what ever they want, and the government should display what ever the will of the people is at any given time.

abolished? while i despise the flag, we have the freedom of speech and expression in this country, and flying a flag is part of that.

I'm honestly on the fence on this one. I can see either side of the arguement. But, I think it is important to remember that the south did not stand for *just* slavery, it was a total way of life which like any other civilization had its good points and it's (very) bad points.

I understand to most of you u only see it as slavery or racism. I know most people who do fly it ( well have it on their truck or on a shirt or whatever) not think about slavery, or racism. Its more like just a symbol of being from the south and being proud of it or jjust being a symbol of being a rebel.

~KM

See this is an example where an idea is attached to an object, that really has nothing to do with anything.
Its the same thing with the Nazi symbol. The nazi symbol originally stood for good luck, but now because of world two it has become a hated symbol.

The flag is no different. people see it and immediately attach ideas of racism to it.

The flag does not stand for racism. People stand for racism. The flag has no control over what people think or do.
Don't blame the flag for actions of people.

it's similar, but not the same thing. the confederate flag never stood for anything but the South. besides, people fly the flag. it doesn't jump up on trucks, shirts and buildings by itself. and it is a symbol of a way of life one hundred and fifty years ago, a way of life that taught oppression, hatred, fear, and treason. my point is, the Civil War is over, and we should move on.

It really makes sense that people would still fly the confederate flag as we are a nation obsessed with war and violence, so why wouldn't people want to celebrate the fact that many years ago they killed their own country men?

I can think of no other country that celebrates it's own civil war in this way, as it is often something people wish to forget or learn from, not show pride in.

I'm from Canada, so from an outsiders point of view I can tell you that I have never understood why America still has this whole seperation between the north and the south.
It seems that if your in the north your liberal but if your in the south your conservative. Maybe that's a misunderstanding but that's how I have always seen it.
The civil war ended a long long time ago and there is no reason to have a flag that represents "a side".

On top of that, like sycofancy said, why would you want to celebrate, and overall, remind yourself of a shamful time in America?

I guess even if the flag was taken away, it wouldn't change the views of the people who believe in it. -_-

~~Spongy!

I live in Virginia and we were boarderline in the Civil war, Richmond was the confederate capitol and D.C. was the Union. Our state has a lot of mixed feelings on confederacy and we like to say that in many ways the war is still going on here. Not only because many people's ancestors fought on both sides, but our legislature is very picky about the people the state makes monumnets after and the people that streets are named after. On Lee jackson king day a person who must have been racist spray painted profane words on Jackson monument that we have on a street here called monument avenue. We have had to rename streets we were names after southern and northern people in the Civil war because it wasn't fair to name it a certain name. The Virginia state song was pro for the south so they had to change it. The legislature has even had discussions on weither to outlaw license plate or any display of the confederate flag, and I think it's all nonsense. The flag doesn't show haterid or saying that one person is better than the other. It displays the fact that the south sufferd through the war too and they ancestors of the people deserve recognition. The Confederate flag is mostly used to say that you are from the south, grew up in the south and are glad to be from the south. In no way have I herd of the flag meaning hatrid, so if ppl want to keep the flag so be it. And the south tended to be conservative at the time of the war and the north liberal, now a little still exhists, but no that much.

Love always,
"me"

PerfectPrincessPaula, i think it's interesting how you use the pronoun "we" when describing Virginia's position during the war, considering you weren't alive then. it's like some Southerners consider themselve's a citizen of the South, before they condider themselves a citizen of America, like being a Southerner is more important. i don't get it. i like living in the South, but i feel no pride in being a Southerner over an American.

Back