Consider the following...

Kouin

Just Too Awesome
Since people here don't really know me that well yet - allow me to explain. Music is one of my passions. I am extremely active in just about anything that has to do with music in my hometown. Actually, if you're involved in music at all in my area, you've at least dealt with someone in my family at one point or another.

Typically when I talk to people about music, I like to dissect why their listening habits are the way they are. Of course, when your audience is a group of seventh graders...well, your results are to be desired (I've done that before). So, I figure now I will present them to DiscussionJunkies and see what you all can come up with.

1. There are many types of musical genres out there, and various subgenres as well. Which is your favorite, and why is it your favorite?
  2. Of all of the artists out there, who is your favorite and what makes them the best artist in your eyes (or ears)?
  3. Think of a song that sticks out in your head, name it, and explain why it sticks out from the rest.
  4. Think of your favorite song, does it represent a moment in time or have any associated thought assigned to it? What is it, and why is it associated with that thought?

I should be prepared for the "I like multiple things" - tell me more about them all. Why do you like these five versus those five. Question time is bonding time!

1. I LOVE rock music, I like the old 50's music, I love soul and motown, I adore 70s glam rock. But ultimately my favourite is rock. It's the guitar sound.. it's just so damn fine :D
2. The Beatles and Aerosmith - bit of a difference I know. Why... I can't really say for sure... there's just a eternal appeal for them to me.
3. Hard to answer this one since a song will stick in my mind for a little while and the disappear.
4. Another one difficult to answer, it really depends on my mood. I have songs I really like, that it doesn't bother me to hear more than once a day.. I have other songs that I love but can go a long time between hearing it.

I'm going to have to break this up into different replies, over time, I feel. There's just too many things I enjoy. I've never been one to listen to just one genre, but regardless. Let's get started.

1. Irish folkmusic/pubmusic - Honestly, this is the weirdest genre ever I know but the music. Oh god the music. The sweet, sweet lyrics combined with a mellow chorus and more often than not up-beat tempo. I've always found that music really addictive. The Dubliners, Mick Moloney etc...
2. Joshua Radin - He is probably one of the best artists out there. He's always doing his own thing, his lyrics are amazing and he's got an amazing voice. Although his music can be a bit repetitive there's still a sublime message hidden in the song. Allowing one to assosciate. He's also versatile in the emotional area. Sad songs as well as more up-beat ones.
3. When we're together & My Hometown - Both songs can be described as "the story of my life" I guess. Just amazing songs and hard to put my finger on precisely what makes me love them.
4. Walking in Memphis - Was listening to the song when I got the news that my grandfather had died. He'd been ill for a few years (Cancer) and it was one of his favorites. I had just been at the hospital visiting him and we we're talking about the music we both loved and so when I left the hospital I decided to listen to Walking in Memphis. Twenty minutes later, while on the bus, I got a call from my mother, saying he'd passed away after I left.

I enjoy all sorts of music. I especially like country and bluegrass. I like rock, some metal and some industrial. I don't like rap at all.

Favorite singer? Roger Waters from Pink Floyd

Song? Pigs (Three Different Ones) also a Pink Floyd song

Back