Cool Game site

Tom

An Old Friend
This site has GameDemos for download. Usually limited to 1hr gameplay. I suggest it because it has a lot of old favorites and there are links to buy the complete versions too. There are 467 listings in the pages I linked to.:D

Gaming must be on peoples minds this week.... The wife & I received a generation #1 PS2 for Christmas and I received some feedback about adding a new 'gaming' section to the category forums.

What's the though process out there? Would you guys & gals be interested in a new section for gaming? It'd be a general section about gaming so it'd be open to any & all kinds of discussion.

I'm leaning towards adding it. Thoughts?

KW802 said:
Gaming must be on peoples minds this week.... The wife & I received a generation #1 PS2 for Christmas and I received some feedback about adding a new 'gaming' section to the category forums.

What's the though process out there? Would you guys & gals be interested in a new section for gaming? It'd be a general section about gaming so it'd be open to any & all kinds of discussion.

I'm leaning towards adding it. Thoughts?
How about Limited to SciFi and Fantasy genre

or perhaps a discussion for online game sites that are good
(popups and spyware levels are low)

or Mesh discussions;)

skwirlinator said:
How about Limited to SciFi and Fantasy genre

or perhaps a discussion for online game sites that are good
(popups and spyware levels are low)

or Mesh discussions;)
I was thinking along those lines also.... opening up the section but trying to keep the games involved geared towards Sci-Fi and Fantasy related titles. The only problem is that when it comes to games, especially on today's modern consoles, most of the games would end up falling into the sci-fi genre so trying to exclude certain titles might be more aggravation than it's worth.

Funny you should mention online game sites.... there is a new game site dedicated to a Star Trek game that won't even be released for almost 2 years! The guys did a heck of a nice job with it so I was thinking about opening up the gaming categories and asking them to do a write-up on their site (what the game will be about, how fans of the game might be able to use their site in the interim while waiting for the game, etcetra).

HHHmm... the wheels are spinning. :smiley: Because I'm not a big game player myself I'll probably look for a moderator for those groups to keep them going.

For the meshes, I think they might fitter better into a 'graphics' category than gaming.

KW802 said:
I was thinking along those lines also.... opening up the section but trying to keep the games involved geared towards Sci-Fi and Fantasy related titles. The only problem is that when it comes to games, especially on today's modern consoles, most of the games would end up falling into the sci-fi genre so trying to exclude certain titles might be more aggravation than it's worth.

Funny you should mention online game sites.... there is a new game site dedicated to a Star Trek game that won't even be released for almost 2 years! The guys did a heck of a nice job with it so I was thinking about opening up the gaming categories and asking them to do a write-up on their site (what the game will be about, how fans of the game might be able to use their site in the interim while waiting for the game, etcetra).

HHHmm... the wheels are spinning. :smiley: Because I'm not a big game player myself I'll probably look for a moderator for those groups to keep them going.

For the meshes, I think they might fitter better into a 'graphics' category than gaming.
Gaming is a very difficult thing to track, I have found that simply upgrading my pc has now made some of my favorite games impossible to play, When I download a demo 8of 10 times I can't play it. I'm stuck playing 2yr old games. I wish I had a console but I want to buy one that will be around and USEFUL longer than 2 yrs. Playstation 2 looks good but my kids rumor a PS3 is on its way. If PS3 plays PS1 and PS2 games it might be worth it. I have to wait. I would have loved to be able to do a demo of DOOM3 or UNREALII. But , Not on this machine.

I can play online games ok- like astropop and collumns...

Possible poll

Q: How many new release games can you play on your PC?

a: all of them-I have a state of the art gaming machine with lots of upgrading room.
a: Some but the best are too high in requirements
a: Hardley any new games will play
a: everything crashes nowadays!

a: I do my gaming on my console '_________'

skwirlinator said:
Gaming is a very difficult thing to track, I have found that simply upgrading my pc has now made some of my favorite games impossible to play, When I download a demo 8of 10 times I can't play it. I'm stuck playing 2yr old games. I wish I had a console but I want to buy one that will be around and USEFUL longer than 2 yrs. Playstation 2 looks good but my kids rumor a PS3 is on its way. If PS3 plays PS1 and PS2 games it might be worth it. I have to wait. I would have loved to be able to do a demo of DOOM3 or UNREALII. But , Not on this machine.

I can play online games ok- like astropop and collumns...
I wouldn't worry about consoles being around longer than 2 years. Even though the original Sony Playstation has been around since the mid 90's you can still find the occassional new game being released for it. The same with Sega's Dreamcast system, which still has an impressive fan base of it. The PS2 plays PS1 games and I can only assume that the PS3 will continue the tradition. If Sony doesn't allow backwards playing of games then their fan base might revolt a little bit and take a longer look at the X-Box 2 that's in development.

Being able to play PS1 games on PS2 was one of it's distinct advantages it had when it came out; people were able to replace their aging PS1 unit, play PS2 games, get a DVD player, and still play their old PS1 games. Before the holidays we (the SO & I) had a PS1 that was passed-down to us and I liked the fact that I could find the classics that I grew up with (the old school 80's stuff like Pacman, Dig Dug, Centipede, etcetra) in collections for under $10 and often discounted down to $5. Now with the PS2 some of the first games that came out for the PS2 are marked down to the below $20 mark and occassionaly the below $10 mark.

If you're thinking about getting a console, think instead about a DVD player. If you need a DVD player in the house then think about how much you want to spend on it. With PS2s going for $149 right now it's a hard price to argue with if you need/want to buy a DVD player as well. The 'gotcha' would be the price of new games, with them averaging $50, but if you're like me and like the older titles then you can pick them up at a decent price.

I want to see more about PS3 then decide how to go. I'm leaning on PS3 because of the backward playability. I still have atari cartridges in the attic somewhere?
I just want to be 'able' to get a new release every once in a while and not have to worry about being 'able' to run it. I will not go pc for my gaming needs ever again. Too Costly with games evolving up too quickly. My next pc won't be as intergrated as this one either. Only have 2 usb1 ports! yuck!

Back