• Soup & Crackers

• Cheese & Macaroni

• Macaroni & Cheese

• French Fries & Cheeseburgers

• Cheeseburgers & French Fries

• Mashed Potatoes & Gravy

• Gravy & Mashed Potatoes

Results are only viewable after voting.
Try ordering a Big Mac at McDonalds by listing the ingredients.
I got 2 cheeseburgers and a side of the rest. The clerk was completely lost.

Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions – on a sesame seed bun

* Bread & Butter
* Peanut Butter & Jelly
* Milk & Cookies
* Soup & Crackers
* Macaroni & Cheese
* Cheeseburgers & French Fries
* Mashed Potatoes & Gravy

I also find it strange that people will often say things like:

Going to TAKE a shower or go take your shower, I just took a shower.
Taking a Bath.
Taking a walk.
Taking a drive.
Be right back gotta go take a piss.
I'm taking a test, First you have to take the driving test.

If you ask someone where they took their bath the answer is often "in the Bathroom".
Where did you take your drive? Oh, we did a big loop around the city. These answers seem completely normal.

I've got to wrap this up, I have dishes to do. Said to you over the phone.
I have to do my dishes, My dishes are done.

While it makes no sense literally, people seem to perfectly understand the implied meaning.

Now take a moment to understand the significance of understanding all the common phrases and their hidden but well-known meanings and implications.

Imagine saying those phrases to a domestic robot.
You tell it to take a walk and it starts ripping up the sidewalk and stops and says "to where sir?". It might register the command as a conflict and lock itself into an infinity loop as it ponders all the possible implications of the command. Unless someone programs 'Take a Walk' to mean a specific thing.

I find it fascinating that such simple to understand implied meanings become very complex when implied meaning is not understood.

When someone says "Be right back, I have to go do my dishes" imagine them taking a hammer and smashing all the dishes in their house.

Like common phrases differ from person to person, region to region, our understanding and use of implied meaning phrases differ. Yet somehow we cope with those differences and function as a society. Imagine the programing language that would be required for a domestic robot to understand even a simple sentence.

We tend to assume that others understand our implied meaning.

In the past I had a lot of trouble with this. Its why I try to say the words that mean what I am saying. I do find that there is less conflicting feedback. Plus I usually don't have to rephrase what I say (I often have to repeat it tho).

Another question I pose:
Do you think people are tuned to implied meanings to the point that when you are specific, the meaning escapes them?
(Not directed specifically towards anyone, just a general question)

I have said specific things to people clearly and worded correctly and I get a response of "What do you mean by that?" My response is usually "Exactly what I said"
I'm curious as to why I would need to reinforce a concise statement for their understanding?

Is saying what you mean and meaning what you say a lost art in today's society? Are we conditioned to expect implied meanings?

Back