Foodies Costco

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
I'm a Costco can, have been for years. These days I both live by one and work by one; unfortunately that is a 25~ mile difference between home & work so I can't shop for everything at lunch but dry goods stuff I can. The one by work, though, has another benefit. The $1.50 hot dog combo. Yep, a giant beef hot dog and drink for $1.50 and the drink is refillable. It makes for a great cheap lunch at times. :D

I've never signed up for Costco. I hate paying to shop, lol. Also...if you don't buy anything in bulk, why bother?
But everyone at work loves their salads, pies, etc

If I recall Sam's was the snizzle for big bulk buying. A Wally world sub store that sells in bulk. Now it seems like all big shot chain stores are the bulk sellers. Ever buy mayo from any of those stores, Blecccchhhh. LOL:LOL:

I've never signed up for Costco. I hate paying to shop, lol. Also...if you don't buy anything in bulk, why bother?
It depends on the household. It's just my wife & I, and 'fuzzy dog' kids, but we buy enough stuff in bulk, like paper products, plus stuff like fish & chicken that it makes the membership worth it. If you buy any expensive electronics then it helps out also because we have the membership level that gets 2% of annual purchases back.
But everyone at work loves their salads, pies, etc
I kid you not, Costco makes some of the best pumpkin pies out there, plus they are cheap! They only sell them in the winter so it's a bit of a Thanksgiving tradition now to get a pumpkin pie & whipped cream from there.

I've never even been to a Costco. I had a membership with Sam's club from work that really helped when buying for a family of 6 and tires were cheap not to mention the electronics and other homeware.

I also used GFS stores for good deals. They are part of the food service supply chains that offer brick and morter grocery type stores to the open public and provide bulk foods at slight markup over restaurant supplier prices. With a family of 6 it was easy to use up a huge can of beans or a side of beef.

As a single, buying and eating for one, with barely an appetite, I find it hard to buy small quantities. I have way more food than I can eat before it goes bad. I wish there were a savings store dedicated to single servings. Ever try to buy a quarter head of lettuce? One sub bun? A half a loaf of fresh bread?

There are some things I buy in quantity, toilet paper, paper towels, stuff like that. But, as for foods, there isn't many stores geared to the single shopper. Most deals are geared for family packs and people with high consumption rates.

One thing that really hurts me is my tendancy to buy "just in case" quantities. I'm a SHTF prepper. I keep two of most things that can be stored. If I have a can of chicken soup, I have two. If I have a bottle of BBQ sauce, I have two. Not only two of one flavor but two of each flavor. When I am wanting to try out a new cooking sauce, I buy two, Just in Case I like it. My cupboards and pantry are stocked full to the brim.
Problem is, I can't control myself. I have way more than I eat. I love cooking but I have nobody to cook for.
If I ever find someone, I certainly won't have a problem feeding her.

Which brings me to expiration dates.
I fight expiration dates.
Its amazing how much food I throw away based solely on its expiration date.
I could donate it to local food banks but if I won't eat it because it might have gone bad, how can I expect someone else to.
Luckily, I'm not really hurting for money.

Just for curiosity I did a seach for local Costco warehouses. The closest is in lower Louisiana (appx 90 miles from me. The next closest is in Mobile, AL (appx 120 miles from me). I wouldn't make that trip even if I had a need. By comparison, there is a Sam's club 30 miles from me. But, with my current buying habits and eating restrictions a membership is a waste of money.

Just to add to this Costco discussion. I purchased a Dyson vacuum cleaner six years ago, and last week I realized it wasn't picking anything up. I noticed a hose coming from the foot to the vacuum chamber was shredded. I took it in to Costco, they looked up my purchase, and gave me a cash card for the current value of that vacuum (which turned out to be more than what I had paid for it, as it was on sale at the time). No hassle whatsoever.

I've done this a few times with other items, and it's one of the main reasons I will always shop there!

I'm a Costco can, have been for years. These days I both live by one and work by one; unfortunately that is a 25~ mile difference between home & work so I can't shop for everything at lunch but dry goods stuff I can. The one by work, though, has another benefit. The $1.50 hot dog combo. Yep, a giant beef hot dog and drink for $1.50 and the drink is refillable. It makes for a great cheap lunch at times. :D

Kevin I found this clip, along with the Sunny in Philly show, this funny Sponge bob clip was found by my nephew. It features a hot shot called Kevin, enjoy and have a laugh!:cool:

Those are so good. My mom is a member everytime we have gone we get that combo.

Back