Course Selections

M

mystery_chick

Well, it's that time of the year for me again! I have to choose my courses for my last year of High school and I have absolutely no idea what to do... and I need advice, esepcially from Canadian students. After this year I would have 27 credits which means I only need 3 credits to graduate next year. Granted, I won't only take three classess because university requirements needs more than 3 classes. (I'm thinking about going into biochem) So basically for the large universities in Canada (UofT, Western, Guelph, Queens, York, McMaster) they need, English, pre-Cal and then two of either Chem, Bio, Geometry and Discret, or Physics. and I'm doing REALLY poorly in physics this year so I'm thinking of not taking it next year. But then everyone's telling me how if I dont' take it, I"ll have a hard time in university physics.... I just want to know if that's true or not.... Because right now, I have 6 courses lined up. I plan on taking 7 classess, one spare plus band in the morning. What I plan on taking:
Enriched English
Enriched Advanced Functions and Pre-Calculus
Enriched Chemistry
Enriched Biology
Studies in Literature
Geometry and Discret
and I wanted to take Exercise Science but if the universities require physics (well the words are "strongly recommend" :rolleyes: ) then I might just take it in summer school but then you dont' cover as much in summer school and I dont' want to have a hard time in university! ARGH so conflicted!!! :banghead:
--mandy :angelic:

ugh...

i had to slave over course selections a MONTH ago!

i tell you, how am i supposed to know what classes I'm going to take after only ONE semester?

i could find that I LOVE or HATE a class this semester and do or DO NOT want to take a similar class...

but noooooooo...that's not how they work...

*sigh*

Without Physics you might have trouble with University Physics. But that's not necessarily true.
My friend is a math major at York, but skipped OAC Algebra. She went on to get an A in that class.

It just depends on how willing you are to work at the class, in my experience most University classes teach you like you know nothing.
And there's always a tutor option to pursue.

When you pick your courses you should also keep in mind that you need the best marks possible. So if you load yourself up with hard classes, it'll hurt your average.

I don't know what the deal is in Canada, Mandy, but in the states we have these classes called AP classes, for Advanced Placement. They are basically college level equivalents taught at the high school level. And if were here in the states, I would encourage you to take as many AP classes and at the end of the year test out of the equivalent college classes entirely.

In my experience, the college classes are harder than the AP ones, and there are far more students in those, so getting personal attention is a little harder. But that's in the states, and I don't know if there is a similar program in place in Canada. BTW, I'm planning on a trip to canada soon just as an vacation. Any suggestions as to where to go?

Xin Li

xinli11 said:
I don't know what the deal is in Canada, Mandy, but in the states we have these classes called AP classes, for Advanced Placement.  They are basically college level equivalents taught at the high school level.  And if were here in the states, I would encourage you to take as many AP classes and at the end of the year test out of the equivalent college classes entirely.

In my experience, the college classes are harder than the AP ones, and there are far more students in those, so getting personal attention is a little harder.  But that's in the states, and I don't know if there is a similar program in place in Canada.  BTW, I'm planning on a trip to canada soon just as an vacation.  Any suggestions as to where to go?

Xin Li
[post="1216643"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
We have the Enriched programs but they're not college credit courses. I'm taking 5 enriched classess this year and I will definitly be taking 4 next year.

Depends on how far you wanna go. :P Toronto is definitly worth seeing. Um... Vancouver (I've never been there though) But if you like something nice and small, go east. (I'm going to Halifax with the band this year) or go to Montreal. ;) (well only if you can speak a bit of french. :lol: )
--Mandy :angelic:

mystery_chick said:
We have the Enriched programs but they're not college credit courses. I'm taking 5 enriched classess this year and I will definitly be taking 4 next year.

Depends on how far you wanna go. :P Toronto is definitly worth seeing. Um... Vancouver (I've never been there though) But if you like something nice and small, go east. (I'm going to Halifax with the band this year) or go to Montreal. ;) (well only if you can speak a bit of french. :lol: )
[post="1217229"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

You can get by in Montreal without French, though they like it if you try to speak it.

Kewii said:
You can get by in Montreal without French, though they like it if you try to speak it.
[post="1217299"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

actually, if I tried to speak french, they'll just think I'm trying to make fun of the language. And they'll probably be really insulted.

No, honestly. I'm terrible with French. But they'll treat you with a lot more respect if you tried to say something to them in French and then couldn't so you had to switch to English.

I thought I would add, Montreal is the European Visitor city of choice. It has an atmosphere much like any other European city.

Or Quebec City. ;) I would go see Toronto or Vancouver before I would go to Montreal though. Espeically since so many american movies are made in these two cities. ;) Toronto is the biggest metropolitan area in Canada and it's just... HUGE. ^_^ Though if you're interested in more than one city, I suggest you should REALLY go to Stratford and watch some plays. Very very charming little town and it's beautiful. ^_^

Ugh, I just finished finished selecting my courses for my junior year. So many classes I want to take, so little time :(

What I scheduled:
AP English Language
AP Calculus
AP Studio Art
AP US History - 20th Century
Art III
History Through Cinema
Yearbook

Wow, a lot of AP courses Tommy! History through cinema sounds interesting. and Art, is it just visual art?

Tommy said:
Ugh, I just finished finished selecting my courses for my junior year.  So many classes I want to take, so little time :(

What I scheduled:
AP English Language
AP Calculus
AP Studio Art
AP US History - 20th Century
Art III
History Through Cinema
Yearbook
[post="1221273"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Yearbook is a class? Nice

Yeah, art is only visaul art, drawing, painting, sculpting. Our art classes work strangely. After you take Art I and Art II, which are year long courses, you take Art III for a semester in your third year and AP Studio Art for the other semester. Then, in your senior year, you take Art IV for a semester and then another AP Studio Art for the second semester.

Yes, Yearbook is a class, one that I have to take actually since I'm majoring in visual arts. Its pretty in depth, surprisingly.

I took Yearbook in high school.

Next year--my final year of undergrad (yea)-- I'm taking:

History of Russia
Victorian History
Renaissance History
Environmental Science
Classical Studied: Myth to Argument

Can you tell I'm a history major?

Kewii said:
Can you tell I'm a history major?
[post="1221387"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

nooo not at all. :P Yearbook was a course but last year they no longer made it a course but instead a club and nothing got done. :lol:
--mandy :angelic:

gahhh i have to select my courses soon.
this is tentative:

ap english
ap us II
pre calc honors (didn't get into ap calc. i'm a FAILURE. jk)
physics honors
french IV honors
advanced photography which is digital with photoshop
creative photography II which is in the dark room

I think next year will be my favorite year! I have so many good classes

AP Chemistry
Honors Calculus
Honors French
Religion
English
Digital Art
Tech Theater