Movies Covid Compared to Previous Germ Movies

screenersam

This is news, Vincenzo, NEWS!
[no politicks please!]

in the past we've had various germ movies ('Outbreak', 'Contagion', 'Virus'). (I don't like the subject so I never watched.)

how do those movies compare to what we've actually experienced this last year?

lots and lots of them involved 'zombies' (not real zombies but you know what I mean), which doesn't inspire me to watch.

anyone remember the book and movie 'Andromeda Strain'? early 'techno-thriller'. really well done.

I watch a lot of "BAD" movies.
I've seen about 5 movies based on Covid and they all suk!

There are movies which are good which are based on global pandemics.
Andromeda Strain was not based on a global pandemic but an alien pathogen.
I class it as the same genre as The Day of the Triffids. A novel written by John Wyndham.
Personally, I preferred the mini series of Andromeda Strain & Day of the Triffids better than the original films.

Some ... decent global pandemic films include;
Day of Resurrection aka Virus (1980) - After a virus devastates the global human population, survivors in Antarctica desperately try to find a cure and save the human race.

Contagion (2011) - When Beth Emhoff (Gwyneth Paltrow) returns to Minnesota from a Hong Kong business trip, she attributes the malaise she feels to jet lag. However, two days later, Beth is dead, and doctors tell her shocked husband (Matt Damon) that they have no idea what killed her. Soon, many others start to exhibit the same symptoms, and a global pandemic explodes. Doctors try to contain the lethal microbe, but society begins to collapse as a blogger (Jude Law) fans the flames of paranoia.

Carriers (2009) - When a virus threatens to wipe out humanity, Danny (Lou Taylor Pucci), his brother Brian (Chris Pine), and their friends Bobby (Piper Perabo) and Kate (Emily VanCamp) set out across the desert in the Southwest, trying to elude the pandemic. Over the course of several days, the four friends learn that the darkness within themselves may prove deadlier than any microbe.

Songbird (2020) - American dystopian science fiction thriller film based on the COVID-19 pandemic. Immune to the COVID-23 virus, a courier races against time to save the woman he loves from a quarantine camp. (IMDb Rating 4.7/10)

12 Monkeys (1995)
The Omega Man (1971)
good movie despite zombies
I am Legend (2007) good movie despite zombies
The Happening (2008)
Pontypool (2008)
not really global but an interesting take on viral infection
Children of Men (2006)
The Stand: Part One (1994)
Ebola Syndrome (1996)
Perfect Sense (2012)
Bird Box (2018)
Locked Down (2021)
The Directive (2019)
Host (2020)
Help (filming)
Orca (2020)
Dead Or? (2021)
Lockdown (2021)
The Neon Across The Ocean (2020)
The Day of Destruction (2020)
The Pandemic Anthology (2020)

Covid-25 (2021) Tv Show​

COVID-21: Lethal Virus (2021)​

COVID-19 (2020)​

COVID-19: Invasion (Post-production)

COVID-25 the Virus Has Mutated (2020)​

COVID (2021)
Covid (2020) (TV Mini-Series)
The Covid Killer (2021)
Covidences (2020)
Covid Diaries NYC (2021)
COVID: 2020 (2021)
COVID-19: The System (2020)
The Vaccine: Conquering Covid (2021) (TV Movie)
Surviving Covid (2020) (TV Movie)
The Covid Conspiracy (in development)
A Covid Christmas (2021)
Covid Release (2021)
Covid-19 Ground Zero (2021)
Covid.12 the Hanged (2020)
COVID-93 (2021)
Four Seasons of Covid (2021)
Global Threat: Covid 19 (2020) (TV Mini-Series)
Mission COVID (2020)

Corona (II) (2020)
Corona (2021) (TV Mini-Series)
Corona Zombies (2020) (Video)
Corona Depression (2020)
Coronavirus (II) (2020)
Coronaphobia (2020)
Corona Clown (2021)
Anti Corona Virus (2020)
Corona Camp (2020)
Coronapocalypse (2021)

Alone (XXI) (2020) aka "Pandemic"
Pandemic (2007) (TV Mini-Series)
Toxic Skies (2008) aka "Pandemic: Kansen wakusei"
The Pandemic Anthology (2020)
Epidemic (1987)
Birdemic: Shock and Terror (2010)
The Coming Pandemic (2005)
Pandemiocracy (2021) (TV Movie)
Pandemic Response (2021)
Race Against Pandemic (2020) (TV Movie)
Birdemic 2: The Resurrection (2013)
Anatomy of a Pandemic (2009) (TV Movie)

Its easy to see the films based on the Covid pandemic are not very good.
There are many more covid based films featuring zombies and none of them are good.
There are pandemic films featuring zombies which are good.
Any rage virus - live infected film considered a zombie movie is a pandemic based film.
There are also alien invasion films featuring alien initiated pandemics.
Alien: Covenant (2017) postulates the alien universe was initiated by a viral pathogen. Prometheus (2012) set the story to go that way.
Many vampire films and werewolf films portray vampirism and lycanthropy as a viral condition.

Personally, I like viral infection stories which are not common. I really enjoyed Pontypool for its unique viral pretense.

Covid is a pandemic and it is a real virus. The virus however is not as deadly as some virus outbreaks. What makes the covid pandemic so bad is the response of the public and the fear propagated by the media. Another result of media overload.

Population density caused the pandemic situation. World-wide travel made it spread fast.
The numbers are insignificant tho. Not only are the total infected less than 1% of the world population, there are far more recoveries than deaths.
Many things in history have killed more people. Not that loss of life isn't tragic, the numbers don't justify the panic....Media Overload, media-induced panic.
You say "No Politics" but the current pandemic hysteria is politically driven by the media.
The public hysteria is doing more harm than the virus itself. (Lynch Mob Mentality) (Pavlovian 'sheeple' response)

thanks much for the reply
you really know this stuff
had no idea there were covid movies out. guess I shouldn't be surprised.

(spoiler) I remember reading Day of the Triffids and they (the triffids) didn't even bother me, it was the fact that 90% of the human race got blinded. scene where this (blind) couple is trying to get their toddler to get food for them and he wasn't comprehending. really disturbing.

Just found another one...

1622314884408.png

4.8 IMDB Rating
Drama
105 minutes
Journey through the human experience as the pandemic tests what we are made of both as individuals and as a culture.

Stars: Mitchell Hoog, Krista Allen, Eric Roberts, Robert Picardo (ST:Voy EMH), Eliza Roberts
Director: Tayo Amos, Carmelo Chimera,John Crockett,Manaal Khann

House of Quarantine 2020​

1626825936878.png

Thriller
81 minutes
Nine people have been locked down together in a house while trying to make a movie. Unknowingly, one of their group is infected with Covid-19. The next three weeks become a life and death struggle for survival with no help from the outside amidst a global pandemic and national chaos.

Stars:​

Philip P Carlisle
Drew Leatham
Zoey Walker
Dylan Garcia
Nathan Gayan

Contagion is the movie that freaks me out because every disease has come out of China 🤔
Contagion stands out in the COVID-19 comparisons because of the 'bat out of China' origins as well as the character that promotes a fake cure. If the same movie was made today it would feel more like a documentary. :(

Most of the COVID-19 movies I've seen are terrible. I won't watch Lifetime movies so you might find something from there which involves the covid pandemic.

As far as virus movies are concerned, the covid pandemic is not much of a threat. Most of the movie fodder surrounding covid involves the effects of the pandemic reaction and not the virus itself. Realistically, movies would be more about dealing with the restrictions more than a threat from the virus. Therefore, most movies will involve personal drama dealing with the restrictions and not a deadly threat menace.

Outbreak, Contagion, Virus and movies like those involve deadly (species-ending) threats. COVID-19 is not a species-ending pathogen (yet).

As tragic as Covid has been, it has manifested itself mainly in the form of endless drudgery, with everyone stuck at home or following arrows around supermarkets. Unless there emerges a bizarre public hunger for films in which tired parents try to connect their tablets to Google Classroom during a phone call with their boss, it is hard to think that anyone will want to watch the reality of this pandemic reflected back at them.

Contagion stands out in the COVID-19 comparisons because of the 'bat out of China' origins as well as the character that promotes a fake cure. If the same movie was made today it would feel more like a documentary. :(
Some of my college classmates are freaked out by that movie still.

Back