Crafting, buying, and selling

[Part B - Forum is 404'ing and won't let me post this in full]

So, how would I do things differently?
Remove the concept of you being a crafter or an adventurer altogether.
Remove the need for their to be two groups, who eventually start fighting each other on the forums and bring about nerfs where they don't need to be.

When creating your character, you have the different skill choices you can learn.
You can only learn one or two.
Even have it secondary to the Class choices.
In this list of skill choices have things like Geology, Prospecting, Herbalist, Alchemist, Lore Expert etc.

Then, when you travelling on your adventures, you come across an interesting looking rock. You use your Prospecting(+mining) skill and extract a pretty little pink rough gem (skill+practise = chance at good gem). You put it in your pocket and keep walking.
Later you come by an abandoned house, go inside and search around. You find an old tome you cannot read. You put it in your backpack. You also find a chunk of metal that you know to be iron. You take that too.

When you return to town, you look through your pack and find the gem and book, and wander off to the tavern. You ask around for a Geologist, finding a couple, and ask what the gem is. They appraise it for a fee (one can't due to too low skill at trying, the other can). You pay your fee and now know what the gem is. It's a gem that, when combined with metal, makes any edge razor sharp! (Hey this is fantasy! hehe).
You then carefully bore a socket into your favourite sword using a tool you bought, and insert the gem in there (this could even be the domain of a jeweler - making the socket and putting a clasp on top so the gem doesn't fall out).

You then wander off to the Temple, to find a Lore Expert, usually found with the Priestly types. You find one, show her the book. She translates it for you (perhaps on a timer) and you now have a translated version of the book.
Reading the book (only you can, not the Lore Expert, as it's your loot) you find it's a map of a secret dungeon - or a book of training that gives you a skill up etc.

You then wander off to the forge and smelt that piece of metal, and manually hammer it out - you know manually? as in direct the hammer, not click 'Go' - trying to make a nice sword edge. You bugger it? Well re-smelt it and try again. One blade at a time. When completed, sharpen the blade and polish it. All tools available to use in the town forge.
In the end, with that one piece of iron, you've experimented and played with it for a couple of hours and made ONE blade. You can then buy a leather strap to bind a hilt, and a custom made sheath (NPC perhaps). There you have one very nice, hard fought over sword! One. Depending on your skill, the sword will have certain stats or whatever. Even depending on the type of metal and what region it comes from! (sharper, harder etc)

And this is only a very basic, off the top of my head process. People with the skill of Devs of games etc could advance this tenfold.

To my mind, having something like this (of course refined into a system that works haha) would easily constitute crafting and would be a big advancement on the mind numbingly dull grind of current 'crafting'.
I just don't understand why crafting and adventuring are not part of the same lifestyle.

People say they want to craft and don't like getting involved in fighting etc, so create a system of classes where someone doesn't need to fight mobs to raise levels. Use things like I've described, make crafting a social aspect of the game.
As it is, crafting in EQ2, which is supposed to be about the community, is the most solo, self absorbed thing you can do. There's very little about it which says community.
You stand there alone, watching a DVD while hitting buttons.
Yay.

Well, it won't let me post Part C haha. "Thankyou!" I hear you say :P. Is only short anyways, saying that companies are in such a rush to release these days that content and mechanics never get realised.

And let's all just hope that Simu bring the DR / GS glory to MMOs and give us something beyond boring craft grinding!!

At first I was very impressed with EQ2's crafting system. It was almost an entire different game in itself...then I got tired of having to mix sub components with sub components with more sub components just to create the sub components you need. It was nice that they made it where one had to really focus on crafting, but they took it overboard.

After their KoS expantion though the crafting system got a lot better as they removed a lot of sub components. I had a carpenter and a provisioner on EQ2 and never had the problem Arremus had with selling my wares. I just stocked up my house vault and sold away. But, alas, I did find the tidious -> reward ratio a bit skewed toward the tidious. I have to admit though, with my adventurer on EQ2 I made quite a profit selling harvested materials to crafters. So while it is possible for them to go out and harvest, most make enough money, and find it in their best productive interest, to buy raws.

A balance is hard to find, but I think crafting is a must have. Even if adventurers don't need to rely on crafters at all it still needs to be an available choice for those who like to craft. It wouldn't harm the adventurers if crafting was implemented, but it would alienate an entire player base in crafters.

Personally I think a crafting system should revolve more around the social aspect of the game where crafters provide things for players that simply add environment (like furniture for houses, social clothing, hats, food, drink, etc.) Maybe I'm just bias being an RPer and all :smiley: But there is something very relaxing to me about partaking in some crafting.

Heck who wouldn't want to catch some fish, mix with some spices and other ingredients, and hold up your creation saying "Look what I can do!" Lets face it, Gemstone III still has a huge player base and I have a feeling it has a lot to do with the social element they provide. I surely hope Simu plans to provide that for us on HJ.

As far as ideas on a crafting system...haven't thought about it too much. Something a bit more involved than WoW and a lot less complicated that EQ2. There does need to be a reward of some sort, but for most crafters the finished item is the reward. I have a feeling though that social items would sell really well. I know I'd pay out the wazzoo for a nice black leather thong laced in golden flower---errr, I mean for a nice manly black seal-hide cloak.

It seems like it would be easier to beak up the types of crafters to complicate the process instead of complicating the few crafters they have.

Instead of mixing to create sub items and adding sub items to get another sub item to make a whole part. Why not have a person who gathers raw material and he/she processes this into maybe 3-5 different types of wood formations, then other crafters like carpenter, furniture maker, saddle maker bow maker and boat craft each need one of each type of wood component that the wood gatherer made? This makes it easier for each class and still controls the prices through a more complicated process?

I hope that makes sense, for example a carpenter would need to buy plank wood from a wood gatherer who processed his wood into planks and may also have to buy stone tiles from a stone gather who decided to make tiles of stone from his gathered wood?

Originally posted by Gleamor@May 9 2006, 12:45 PM
It seems like it would be easier to beak up the types of crafters to complicate the process instead of complicating the few crafters they have.

Instead of mixing to create sub items and adding sub items to get another sub item to make a whole part. Why not have a person who gathers raw material and he/she processes this into maybe 3-5 different types of wood formations, then other crafters like carpenter, furniture maker, saddle maker bow maker and boat craft each need one of each type of wood component that the wood gatherer made? This makes it easier for each class and still controls the prices through a more complicated process?

I hope that makes sense, for example a carpenter would need to buy plank wood from a wood gatherer who processed his wood into planks and may also have to buy stone tiles from a stone gather who decided to make tiles of stone from his gathered wood?
EQ2 used to have full inter-dependencies, which = crafters with lots of alts.

It's great in principle, but bad for a few reasons really.
At lower levels it's great because it forces everyone to work together, communicate, help each other out.
Lots of people doing the same sorts of trades helps to keep prices low and affordable.
Then some people start to advance a lot quicker than others - you know that jeweler who is 60 when everyone else is still in their 30s etc - and suddenly that high level crafter either cannot make anything due to needing other people's goods.
Or there is only one person who can supply a certain product, and thus he charges a lot. In turn the final crafter has to charge a lot.
Also, the gatherer who has to get into the high level places to gather raws starts charging a lot for these raws, because he can.
And before you know it, there's only one or two people who can make the item you want and it costs you 3x your bank balance.
And then the next expansion comes out, and if you play more than 2 hours a day you'll possibly level up too fast for the crafting community and any weapons or armour (or resources to craft) that you want to buy are stupidly overpriced.
As was very evident in EQ2's economy from the outset, and thus still is. 4g for a level 10 Apprentice 4 spell anyone? *sigh*

The problem is that systems can account for aaall sorts of intricate and varied interdependencies, and fun, elaborate systems. But these same systems cannot account for the biggest, most negative influence of all.
Human greed.
And because of that greed, these systems will send an economy spiralling out of control.

Look at the PvP servers on EQ2. Within a week, a level 10 basic crafted spell was up to a gold each etc. Most people had enough to buy one spell, not the five they needed to upgrade. And these were all people on the SAME SIDE!
Bah.. I could rant and rave all day about the biggest downfall in any great system; the players. But I won't.. for now... :P

Back to your point though. From my experience, interdependency in crafting is great in theory but horrid in practice (due to the players).

The closest thing WoW had to crafting being interesting was engineering. Teleporters, death lasers, underwater breathing helmets.... who didn't want one of these! Only problem is, you had to have engineering as a skill to use these items, so it made it impossible to sell it unless the guy buying it could also craft that same item, given the recipe. If there be crafting, be there death lasers! Well... in all seriousness, just let it be fun and original.

I hate tedium mostly, and the amount of time I have to take away from hunting / exploring. I am an alpha type personality, and patience isn't my strong suit.

But enough about my online dating profile... (and did I mention I think I am funny?)

Honestly, I think I pretty much covered it in my last post. I hate spending all that time working at something that becomes second rate when you get a drop from a mob. Now multiply that by all the time spent scrounging / farming for mats, making secondary and tritiary materials out of them, then turning THOSE into the end Items.. IF your skill doesnt scew up and destroy all those worked for mats leaving you nothign to show for.

Continued on the next post

Xhar

P.S. Be carefull who you ask open ended questions to, I had to actually cut tyhat rant short, lol... some of us can go on and on and on...

Originally posted by Xhar@May 9 2006, 07:14 AM
I hate tedium mostly, and the amount of time I have to take away from hunting / exploring. I am an alpha type personality, and patience isn't my strong suit.

But enough about my online dating profile... (and did I mention I think I am funny?)

Honestly, I think I pretty much covered it in my last post. I hate spending all that time working at something that becomes second rate when you get a drop from a mob. Now multiply that by all the time spent scrounging / farming for mats, making secondary and tritiary materials out of them, then turning THOSE into the end Items.. IF your skill doesnt scew up and destroy all those worked for mats leaving you nothign to show for.

Continued on the next post

Xhar

P.S. Be carefull who you ask open ended questions to, I had to actually cut tyhat rant short, lol... some of us can go on and on and on...
Valid points Xhar. Fun is essential, but do you agree that crafting should be in some way difficult, if only to make it so that the market is not saturated with items?

I propose an experimentation system in crafting. Trying to combine items to see if they will make something. Sometimes it works, sometimes it blows up in your face, sometimes it just doesn't make anything. Occasionally something works so well, you can make a recipe out of it. Maybe even sell the recipe. Point is trial and error. Those who really want to craft, will try things, talk to each other to find out what things work.

To keep the web pages from listing all the recipes, introduce a level of randomness for each player. So in general, people would have an idea of how to make something, like block of wood, piece of iron = sword, but to make anything of quality, MY char needs a black amethyst as well. Your character may need a red ruby to make the same item. If I use a red ruby in my sword recipe, maybe the sword breaks, or comes out cursed. This would also personalize items.

Sorry my example is crummy, but I hope you get the idea.

Hmmm, and reverse engineering items would be cool too.

Hey, whoa... I think you have the wrong assumption

Crafting is great, I have no problems with it, and I have said MULTIPLE times that crafted items should allways be better than dropped ones, to reward crafters for their efforts.

I merely state that crafting isnt for me!

Craft, and have fun at it, and I will happily buy your wares!

Arremus great post, and I love your views. EQ2 was flawed in that you were restricted by other players. If you couldn't find someone else to help you, you were stuck. No-Go-Solo was the motto for EQ2 in my eyes.

Crafting has all-together been flawed. What I belive would be neat is to first have the plans for crafting. Open up the plans, and it shows what they BELIEVE are the proper ingrediants to go in certain areas. So lets say you want to build a sword. It requires 2 iron in the hilt, 5 in the blade. Then it also requires 2 leather straps around the hilt.

Next, when you go to craft, you open up the plans, and it shows a layout of a sword. you then drag 2 iron onto the hilt. 5 onto the blade, and 2 leather straps onto the hilt as well. Then you hit 'craft', or whatever fancy way you think would be a great idea. Then depending on the plans, your skill level, and the proper ingrediants in the right places you come out with a weapon that has varying stats based on those factors.

What do you think of that idea?

That could work Frosty.

So recipes would have a general ingredients list and as you got better at the recipe, you would need less of the raw materials. Only flaw I see is that to get better, you need to make a great deal of items, and from what I've read, HJ is not going to work that way.

So what is Hero Crafting? That is the big question.

I think they got it right in DragonRealms and I hope they take that kind of approach to HJ. Obviously it wont be the same since it is a completely different way of interacting with the enviroment, and the skill/exp system is different. The biggest part is that the best weapons and armor you can find are all player made. Sure you can find great non-player made things, but if you put time into doing something like that you should be able to learn to do it much better. The biggest thing is balancing that, especially when you could then lvl up the item. Without solid information (at least I know I don't have it) on the lvling of items I have a hard time proposing a crafting system that could fit into the rest of the game. Though I still stick with if there is an actual CRAFTING system it needs to reward your time and effort at it with a feeling of REAL accomplishment, not just selling your slightly better swords to newbs.

Czi

Originally posted by Czidvar@May 14 2006, 02:49 AM
I think they got it right in DragonRealms and I hope they take that kind of approach to HJ. Obviously it wont be the same since it is a completely different way of interacting with the enviroment, and the skill/exp system is different. The biggest part is that the best weapons and armor you can find are all player made. Sure you can find great non-player made things, but if you put time into doing something like that you should be able to learn to do it much better. The biggest thing is balancing that, especially when you could then lvl up the item. Without solid information (at least I know I don't have it) on the lvling of items I have a hard time proposing a crafting system that could fit into the rest of the game. Though I still stick with if there is an actual CRAFTING system it needs to reward your time and effort at it with a feeling of REAL accomplishment, not just selling your slightly better swords to newbs.

Czi
As I have not played any other Simutronics games, would you care to elaborate on the crafting systems that you liked.

Just some basic information on how they worked would be great.

Adding on to Frosty's idea.

You'd open up the plans for the sword and have a general layout of a sword. It would recommend how much of each material is needed. And than, because you can customize weapons, you would have to add more iron or whatever, and you could substitute something other than leather for the hilt.

Once you have the ingredients, you would than have to melt down the metals, shape your materials. Than a screen (similar to the character customization scree) would open up and show a basic sword.

From there you could click and drag out certain points to shape the sword, change the color, go back and add more materials etc. . .

Than click craft, and have your custom made sword! :D

Game is over a year away.... and Sim has been very big over the last two years about keeping things quiet. Seems crafting is one of their big secrets.

That means it's either ho-hum or it's so different that we brainwashed MMO'ers will not see it as "crafting."

Panicing yet, Presto? *giggles*

I can't wait a year!!! And i hope crafting isn't like FFXI when you had to have crystals for everything and the chances of you making something good were slim to none unless you had an ungodly high crafting skill compared to what you were trying to make.

As I have not played any other Simutronics games, would you care to elaborate on the crafting systems that you liked.

Absolutely!

As far as Forging went you had to start with an Ingot or a wire... I was never able to do this myself by the way, but I watched someone once. Anyway, Wires were for Armor and ingots for weapons... but you could change the mixes of metals and stuff. Thereby a recipe was part of it, but you had to figure it out. Then you had to work the bellows to melt the ingots and add coal and mix and make it into the metal. Then hammer and cool and heat and hammer and cool and what have you. (I dont remember if this was the exact process... I'm a commoner there) But then after that you had to sharpen it and affix the hilt. you could make any type of weapon or armor but your skill in that armor or weapon type as well as other skills such as Mechanical Lore and maybe some others added to your ability to perform these taks and make better weapons... so it was combination of knowledge, skill... and oh yeah... tons of stamina for the forge. it was detailed, the problem is it is viable for a game like that, not a graphics based game I dont think. It is quite time consuming. You did however need to be good at it before you could make anything even decent, but you didnt have to forge to get those skills... you could get them in other less expensive and less time consuming ways.

There is also Tanning, Alchemy (Alchemy is easy and can be done by anyone), Enchanting (making ability enhancing magic jewelry and such), lockpick carving and fletching.

Czi

The only problem with implementing a system like that would be the time to implement it. They probably have hundreds of things that still need to be accomplished. Something that elaborate in a graphical game such as Hero's Journey might take awhile. We'll just have to find out now wont we?

Back