Tutorial Creating and using a brush.

• Select and open the image you wish to use

Select an image you want to turn into a brush, I simply found a 'Ink Splatter' on a search engine.

Open the image in photo shop, duplicate the layer and delete the original background, you should be left with one layer that contains your image.

33757237.jpg
  • Removing the white background
You can try to use the magic wand tool. Select the wand tool > Click the background > Press delete. You may find this method skips little bits of the background, if so I suggest using the method shown.

Select > Colour Range should bring up a screen like the one below, you then need to click anywhere in the background (I marked with a red circle where I clicked) then simply click OK!

56641841.jpg
You should be left with your image in my case the splatter selected

54832346.jpg
Press the delete button on your keyboard to remove the back ground or Edit > Cut

38850428.jpg
  • Saving the brush
The next step is to save your brush, click File > Define Brush... you will then be prompted to name your brush, pick a name and click OK and your all done.

• Open a new page
Open a blank page File > New or open an image you want to use the brush on File > Open...

14420128.jpg
  • Select the brush
To selecet the brush you just created follow these three steps

1. Select the brush tool
  2. Click the triangle to open the brush preset picker
  3. Pick the brush your made

35080775.jpg
  • Use the brush

Have fun using the brush and be creative! You can easily change the colour, size and opacity.

97359246.jpg

Ooo I didn't know this could be done. I'll try it out a bit later. This will be handy if I can't find a brush that fits what I need.

Thank you for the feedback guys, I will be making and posting a few tuts similar to this, the first being how to make some awesome patterns. If you have any suggestions or requests feel free to PM me.

Back