Crossing Lines

I'm glad Michael is alright and they declared their love for each other. But time, and their good luck is due to run out. Prince Jack is sure to find out about the romance between his princess daughter and the hired help. I doubt Daddy is not class conscious.

Chris

Chapter 24

Immediately upon returning home from the hospital with Michael, Sydney was met by her father, who was shockingly concerned about her welfare. He thankfully did not blame Michael at all for the situation since the police had fully explained to him that Michael was not at fault at all. In fact, he gave Michael an entire week off to recuperate from his ordeal. This, of course, did not make Sydney overly happy. She wanted Michael to relax and take it easy for a few days, but a week off for him meant a week apart for them, which was something she did not want so soon after their I love you admissions. It was an acceptable trade, though, especially since she knew Michael needed his rest.

A week later, Michael was back and on top of his game once more despite the scar on his forehead that made Sydney tear up every time she saw it. Michael tried to assure her that it was fine and the scar would probably fade since what she was seeing was more like a scab than a scar. It still upset her, though, mostly because it reminded her of the other stupid moron (in her words) drivers on the road who were trying to kill her. Michael hugged her through her melodramatic episode and assured her that no one was trying to kill her.

For the next few weeks, things between them progressed similarly. They never ended a conversation, whether it was in person or over the phone, without telling each other that they loved one another. Because they were open with their feelings, they were able to grow just that much closer, which made them both happy. Though, Michael still was in slight disbelief that he was actually in love with a princess and she loved him back.

“Okay, okay, okay… I promised Jess I’d give this to you after she threatened to smother me in my sleep and I had to swear on the lives of my unborn children that I would so here, but you don’t have any obligation whatsoever to do anything about it,” Michael sighed before handing Sydney a lavender envelope. The two of them were sitting up in her room playing poker when he remembered the thing he promised to pass along.

“What is this?” Sydney laughed as she took the envelope. Michael grumbled, but said nothing. She opened it slowly and found inside a glitter covered invitation. “Aww, a birthday party - a slumber party!” Sydney exclaimed in a giddy tone. “I never went to one of those… I wanna go!”

“NO! No, no, no ya don’t,” he said quickly.

“Why not?”

“Because its Jess! She only invited you because you’re a princess and she wants to show you off at her stupid party. You do not want to go and have her stupid little friends fawn over you all night long,” Michael told her.

“Spoken like a true older brother,” Sydney smiled at him. He gave her a look. “Michael, this sounds fun, why wouldn’t I want to go? I mean, Jess and I have talked on the phone a few times and-”

“Wait,” Michael cut her off. “When the hell’d you talk to Jess?”

“Well, I talked to her the night of our accident… and then she called me last week to chat – it was sweet,” Sydney smiled at him. “So how many people are going to this party anyway?”

“Um, three other girls I think… I dunno, but you seriously don’t want to go,” he told her.

“I’m going,” Sydney smiled at him. “But I want it to be a surprise, okay? Tell Jess I can’t come – but not in an evil way because I know you will tell her something like I hate her because she’s a stupid little girl, won’t you?” she asked rhetorically. From the wicked smile on Michael’s face she knew she was correct in that assumption. “Promise me you’ll tell her that I’d love to go, but I have another engagement that evening, okay? OKAY?”

“Okay,” he grumbled. “But for the record I am dead set against this and I take no blame when the squeals that befall you puncture your ear drums.”

“Yes, you’ve made that abundantly clear. So… what should I get Jess for her birthday?”

“Nothing!”

“Michael, I cannot come to her birthday party without a present for her! What does she want?” Sydney asked.

“I dunno… from you she’ll want crown jewels. My parents are getting her these earrings she wanted and some clothes… I’m giving her a gift card to Wal-Mart and I dunno what her little idiot friends are giving her,” Michael sighed.

“I’ll think of something,” Sydney sighed. “This is going to be so much fun! It’s in two weeks, so I’m going to tell my publicist tomorrow not to schedule anything on that day or the day after because I hear at sleepovers you don’t actually get much sleep.”

“You heard right if my sister’s previous parties are any indication. They’re up all night squealing and giggling and eating chocolate – it’s nauseating,” Michael sighed.

“Well, it sounds like fun to me,” she smiled. Then she leaned over and gave him a long, sweet kiss.

“What was that for?” he asked in surprise.

She shrugged and rested her head on her shoulder. “I’m glad Jess invited me… it’s fun to be wanted.”

“Yeah, at an eighteen-year-old’s birthday party, I’m sure,” Michael rolled his eyes.

“Yes, it is! I mean, she didn’t have to invite me at all, but she did; it’s nice. I always wanted a sister…”

“Well, you can definitely have mine… I’ll sell her to you.”

“Michael!” Sydney exclaimed while slapping his arm lightly. “You’re terrible.”

“No, not terrible – business like,” he winked.

“Oh yeah? And what would your parents say if you sold your sister?”

“They’d be thrilled. They wouldn’t have to buy her felgercarb anymore,” Michel told her seriously. Sydney couldn’t help but laugh.

Back