Curiosity Killed The Cat

Kathy

CIA Director
I've uploaded my Halloween story couple months ago and the fictionpress.com is down (I guess) Some of you had problems trying to get to the site and my story, too. Anyway, I've posted my story on here :smiley: Let me know what you think!

Title: Curiosity Killed The Cat
Author: Kathy Bruce
Email: KathyAnn@netscape.com
Rating: PG
Disclaimer: My first non-Alias fiction. I claim my storyline, characters, etc…
Summary: The worse thing you could do is to let your curiosity get the better of you.
Special thanks: My beta reader, Jess.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A great darkness consumed the room and the only thing stopping it from completely devouring all in sight was the faint flicker of several candles strategically placed around the room, creating a safe, warm bubble of light. A couple of teenagers eager to frighten one another by telling the scariest Halloween story they knew huddled in a tight circle and drew comfort from the candles which flickered momentarily as a silent breeze drifted from the partially open window.

All eyes turned to one boy who had been silent for most of the night and everyone knew of his ability to tell a good story. He had been listening to the stories but hadn't contributed any of his own. Until now. "I haven't told you about a man who found a card board box in Central Park."

“No. You haven’t.” A boy said.

“Do tell.” A girl said.

Jordan looked at his group of friends. “Alright, there was a guy who had blonde hair, blue eyes, tall and slender. It was foggy as hell and the wind was blowing. The man who was all by himself in central park. Just him and this strange box...And he well never forget.”

Central Park, New York
October 31, 2003
Halloween
~~~~~~~~

The blonde hair man was walking alone in Central Park. He was wearing a long business coat. He looked like a doctor or maybe a lawyer. He was in his late 20s, not married, lived alone in a house.

Walking in Central Park, he was minding his own business until he came across a suspicious-looking brown box sitting by a bench.

He started to walk away, but the tempting to uncover the mystery surrounding the harmless looking box was too overwhelming. There was something in there, and he was dying to find out.

He turned around and walked back to the box. He scanned his surroundings to make sure that no one was watching him.

He looked at the box very carefully. He noticed there was no address, there was about 10 stamps on the box that had a Halloween stamps of a ghost and he noticed large letters that were written in black ink:

“FRAGILE! DO NOT SHAKE ME! DO NOT KICK ME OR DROP ME ON THE GROUND! DO NOT THROW ME AWAY! YOU WILL BE SORRY!”
A thousand questions started to flood the man’s mind and all were questioning the mystery surrounding the box. ‘What’s in this mystery box? Is there a bomb? Should I take the box to the police? Who would leave a box in central park in New York!’

He scanned the park again, and then he looked down the box and picked it up. All of the sudden, a gust of wind blew and it was accompanied by an eerie cloud of fog, ‘What does that mean?’ he thought. ‘After all it is Halloween night, anything can happen.’ he thought again.

He grabbed the box and hurried home, he turned on the lights and lay the box down on the table. He grabbed a bag full of candy and dumped it in a large bowl for the little Halloween critters. He walked up to the coat hanger, hung up his coat and his hat, and walked back in the kitchen to grab himself a cold beer. Sitting himself and the beer bottle down at the end of the table he glanced in the direction of where the was sitting box, but was alarmed when he noticed it was no longer where it should be. ‘THE BOX IS GONE?! WHERE DID IT GO?!’ He thought to himself again.

All of the sudden, he heard scratching.

*SCRATCH*

*SCRATCH*

*SCRATCH*

*SCRATCH*

It sounded like someone scratching the chalkboard with their finger nails and he hated that sound. Walking to where the box was obediently sitting, he started at it and pondered about his next move.

He grabbed his beer bottle, took a guzzle and he thought, ‘Should I shake it?’ He knew that he
was curious as hell, and he was warned not to shake the box. But the temptation was too great as he had a habit as a little kid where he use to shake his Christmas gift, which often got him into trouble.

He couldn’t take it anymore. He put down his bottle of beer, picked up the box and started to rigorously shake the box. Suddenly, the box started to yell, “YOU FOOL!!! I TOLD YOU NOT TO SHAKE ME!!! HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU!!!”

He knew that the voice scared the hell out of him as he quickly set the box back down on the table, almost dropping it in the process. He couldn’t believe that the stupid box yelled at him and he only had one drink! And he knew that he wasn’t drunk or losing his mind.

He stared at the box some more and he noticed a tiny little hole. He lifted the box again and looked through the tiny hole. He saw a gleaming, red eye staring back at him, causing him to gasp and carefully place the box down in its original position.

A few hours went by, and he wondered more about this mystery box, ‘What’s in this box? Is it an Alien? Some kind of creature?’ He couldn’t take it anymore
and he slowly opened the box and started to scream.

*Back to the group of kids*

“What happened to the man?” A girl asked

“Don’t know...”

“Was me murdered?” A brown hair boy asked.

He didn’t say anything.

“What was in the box?”

He shrugs his shoulders, “Don’t know...You have to use your imagination

They all looked at him and nodded their heads no.

He started to tell the story

A tall slender man, with blonde hair and blue eyes, just walking in the park on a cold, Halloween night.

He was minding his own business when he noticed a brown looking box. He started to walk away and he couldn’t keep his eye of that box. He felt like someone was pulling him to go back and get that box.

He couldn’t take it anymore. He scanned his surroundings to make sure no one is watching him before kneeling down on the soft grass to look at the address of the box.

There were no address or even a return address on the box. There was 20 Halloween stamps on the right side of the box. He started to read the large letters that was written in black. ‘FRAGILE! DO NOT SHAKE ME! DO NOT KICK ME OR DROP ME ON THE GROUND!’

He started to ask himself questions, a thousands of questions ‘What’s in this mastery
box? Is there a bomb? Is there a million of dollars? Should I take the box to the FBI? Why would someone leave a box here at the central park?

He scanned the park again and then looked down at the box and picked it up, and all of the sudden, a gust of wind blew and even fog. He took the box home and sat it on the table.

He grabbed himself a cold beer and he stared at the box for the longest time.

A couple trick or treaters came by and rang the front door bell as he gave them candy. He walked back the kitchen.

His kitchen was huge, even the rest of his house was huge. He wasn’t poor. He had a good job that he loved. He doesn’t do drugs, he drinks once in a great while.

He sat back down at the table and he noticed the box moved. He swore he lay the box at the end of the table and it was way over to the counter. He picked the box up and lay it back on the table.

All of the sudden, he heard some scratching. His blue eyes glared at the box once more. He picked the box up and started to shake it.

“YOU FOOL!!!! I TOLD YOU NOT TO SHAKE ME!!!” It was a loud eerie voice that came from the box. Where the voice even made his hair on his arms stand up.

He knew that the voice scared the felgercarb out of him as he hurried and set the box and in which he almost drop the box, he sat the box back down on the table. He couldn’t believe that the stupid box yelled at him and he only had one drink! And he knew that he wasn’t losing his mind.

He stared at the box some more and he couldn’t take it anymore and he opened the box.

*Back to the teenager*

“What was in the box?” A Girl asked.

“Don’t know...”

“Was he killed?” A boy asked

“Did the creature drink his blood?”

Jordan looked at his group of friends and shrugged his shoulders again and continued. “A month later...No one heard of the man. They had the police over at his and they searched for him, top to bottom. No sign of him anywhere, not at work, not at his friends house or even parents. He vanished from thin air. They even thought that, he might had a secret girlfriend or something and there were no signs of that either."

“How about the box?” Another boy asked.

“The cops never saw a box in the kitchen. It vanished, too...”

Back