Cyberpunk show for Fox in september 2008

Tim

Creative Writer
The Dolls being a group of men and women imprinting for certain tasks, where one becomes self aware is maybe a confused description on behalf of the reporting staff.

Time will give us the exact storyline which I think might be more "clones built and imprinted with memories, skills, etc" to perform dangerous or clandestine tasks.

More Manchurian than Cyberpunk,it could be one confusing premise confused further by the creators and muddled even further by the reporters!

Four join cast of Whedon's 'Dollhouse'

Thursday, March 27 2008, 10:48 GMT (05:48 ET)
By Dave West, Media Correspondent
160x120_bsg_tahmoh_penikett_as_karl_agathon.jpg
Penikett in 'Battlestar Galactica'

Tahmoh Penikett, Fran Kranz, Dichen Lachman and Enver Gjokaj have joined the new series from Buffy the Vampire Slayer creator Joss Whedon.

The drama is about a group of men and women, known as dolls, who are charged with carrying out a series of "assignments". They can be imprinted with different memories, skills, language and abilities appropriate to each task.

Penikett (Battlestar Galactica) will play FBI agent Paul Smith who wants to find the dolls, viewed by others as an urban myth. Kranz (Welcome to the Captain) joins as bright-spark programmer Topher Brink who does the imprinting.

Lachman (Neighbours) and Gjokaj takes the role of dolls Sierra and Victor respectively. Both are friends of main doll Echo who begins to become self-aware. Eliza Dushku (Buffy, Angel) has already signed to play Echo.

Fox is planning a seven-episode season of the show for September.

Don't all US network shows start like that? After the pilot episode that goes round the network suits, they order 7 episodes, see what the public think of it (only those people with the system in their houses) then decide to order half or full season ahead.

Don't all US network shows start like that? After the pilot episode that goes round the network suits, they order 7 episodes, see what the public think of it (only those people with the system in their houses) then decide to order half or full season ahead.
Others can correct me if I am wrong but usually shows are ordered by either a full season (22 episodes) or a half-season (11-13 episodes). Shorter orders, like 7 episodes, are usually done for shows that will be used as a short-term filler show for the season. Short orders are also done for shows where the network doesn't have confidence in the show so it'll order a few episodes to see what the ratings are like before sinking more money into it.

At 7 episodes The Dollhouse better get some huge ratings if it wants any chance at surviving.

My bet is that it won't last all 7 episodes being aired and that Whedon fans will be soon clamoring for a DVD release.

Back