"Dancing with the Stars 2" to take "Alias" slot

According to Alias-Media.com, ABC has announced that Dancing With the Stars 2 will take over Alias' timeslot during Jennifer Garner's maternity leave.

Dancing With the Stars 2 will premiere on Thursday, January 5th, 2006 at 8/7c pm on ABC (which is Alias' timeslot now). It will continue to air during that same time for eight weeks. The show should be over after that time, and Alias should return the next week to air the rest of its season (series).

So, according to this information, Alias will air until the last Thursday of 2005, and will not return until early March 2006.

So, what do people think about this?

GOOD: Some people think this idea will bring in more viewers on Thursdays to watch Alias, considering this past summer's original Dancing With the Stars brought in an average of 16.8 million viewers every week to ABC.

BAD: Others think that Dancing With the Stars 2 will air for longer than eight weeks (because of its possible success), or that ABC will replace Alias with a show that will bring in more viewers.

Please give me your opinions on this topic.

-- Josh

I really don't know what to think.... my instinct says bad -- because we've been through this before with Alias.... where we go a few weeks with no new ep. and it appeared as though Alias never really recovered from those little hiatus's... fans become disgruntled and tune it out.... Hey, if Dancing with the stars can bring on the fans -- so be it... but, I don't expect it to happen.... :sigh:

I really don't know what to think.... my instinct says bad -- because we've been through this before with Alias.... where we go a few weeks with no new ep. and it appeared as though Alias never really recovered from those little hiatus's... fans become disgruntled and tune it out.... Hey, if Dancing with the stars can bring on the fans -- so be it... but, I don't expect it to happen.... :sigh:

I really hope we don't lose any fans over the eight-week period. We all know that Alias is already getting hurt by low viewer numbers.

Everyone was tired of skipping multiple weeks during Season 3, but I don't know if we lost viewers from that. Then again, we haven't gone eight weeks without an episode before. This time, it could be bad.

We can only hope that the viewer numbers will somehow increase, and we can finish the season (or series) with good ratings. How that will happen, I don't know. I doubt that Dancing with the Stars 2 will do much to boost viewers.

We can only hope for the best!

Thanks for your comments, freakforalias.

The ratings for Alias are like a rollarcoaster. They go up and down. You really can't get the hang of them. If Dancing With The Stars 2 get's better ratings then Alias, then let's just say that Alias is in danger. I just hope they put it back in the old timeslot. It was way better and got more ratings. I don't want the Season 3 exprience, where the ratings were lower.

I think that the whole thing is crazy. I mean dont get me wrong, but it seems like ABC is almost trying to find ways to get rid of Alias. I mean they really couldnt put Dancing With the Stars 2 on another night? Thats taking out such a huge chunk of the season. I mean just this week Alias got canceled for a showing of Pirates of the Carribean.

Theres a good point of viwe too though, I mean Jennifer Garner will be in action more when she returns

Well, I've been dissapointed with the 5th season of Alias, but I loved Dancing With the Stars, so this doesn't bother me because I'm looking forward to Dancing With the Stars 2. And besides its not ABC's fault that they can't air Alias for a couple of months because of Jennifer Garner's maternity leave. They can't just leave the spot empty, so they might as well put a short show in there that has already proven to be popular in the past.

Well, I've been dissapointed with the 5th season of Alias, but I loved Dancing With the Stars, so this doesn't bother me because I'm looking forward to Dancing With the Stars 2. And besides its not ABC's fault that they can't air Alias for a couple of months because of Jennifer Garner's maternity leave. They can't just leave the spot empty, so they might as well put a short show in there that has already proven to be popular in the past.

Yea but the only problem is, if dancing with the stars 2 becomes more popular and has better rating than Alias, ABC might consider filling the Thrusday/8:00 timeslot with it permanetly.

The ratings for Alias are like a rollarcoaster. They go up and down. You really can't get the hang of them. If Dancing With The Stars 2 get's better ratings then Alias, then let's just say that Alias is in danger. I just hope they put it back in the old timeslot. It was way better and got more ratings. I don't want the Season 3 exprience, where the ratings were lower.
No matter how many viewers Dancing with the Stars 2 gets, Alias shouldn't be in any danger. After the eight-week period, there should be a winner on Dancing with the Stars 2. If there's a winner, how can there be other shows after that? Think about it.

Also, don't expect Alias to get its old timeslot back. ABC has a pretty strong Wednesday night with Lost and Invasion on, and I don't think anything will happen to those shows (not THIS year, anyway).

Don't worry so much about what will happen to Alias, because apparently ABC is impressed with how well it's doing in its current timeslot.

Thanks for your comments, Find Your Alias.

I think that the whole thing is crazy. I mean dont get me wrong, but it seems like ABC is almost trying to find ways to get rid of Alias. I mean they really couldnt put Dancing With the Stars 2 on another night? Thats taking out such a huge chunk of the season. I mean just this week Alias got canceled for a showing of Pirates of the Carribean.

Theres a good point of viwe too though, I mean Jennifer Garner will be in action more when she returns
I don't think that ABC is trying to get rid of Alias. One thing many people have noticed is that there are very few commericals for it this year. I think that maybe that's because of the number of viewers it has this year. Maybe ABC has given up on trying to promote Alias, so they make more commercials for shows that have more viewers. That's just MY opinion, though.

Dancing with the Stars 2 probably can't be put on another night, because there isn't another show taking this long of a break. ABC obviously wanted to give another show an opportunity to air, and so they picked one that has already shown its popularity. They can't just have a whole hour empty for eight weeks!

Of course, we do have the problem of skipping weeks again, like with "Pirates of the Caribbean". That's just something we're going to have to live with.

Thanks for your comments, AliasAddict3.

I totally agree with you on the maternity leave issue. ABC needs something to fill the spot, and Dancing with the Stars 2 is short enough to take over for a while. It is a smart decision by ABC to make good usage out of Jennifer Garner's maternity leave with this show. I never really watched the first Dancing with the Stars, but I hope its sequel will make use of this very fortunate Alias break.

Thank you for your comments, BristowBookworm.

-- Josh

If I wasn't a devoted viewer of Alias, I probably wouldn't watch it. No offense to anyone. But in the last two years, it's changed it's timeslot twice. I REALLY dislike it when they switch timeslots because I have to work around my schedule to watch Alias. ALSO since Alias is one of those shows you have to watch every week to understand, makes it more difficult with timeslots switches. During Season 3 I found myself flustered with the week breaks. Ratings could be heavily affected by the breaks. We'll have to wait and see. :smiley:

If I wasn't a devoted viewer of Alias, I probably wouldn't watch it. No offense to anyone. But in the last two years, it's changed it's timeslot twice. I REALLY dislike it when they switch timeslots because I have to work around my schedule to watch Alias. ALSO since Alias is one of those shows you have to watch every week to understand, makes it more difficult with timeslots switches. During Season 3 I found myself flustered with the week breaks. Ratings could be heavily affected by the breaks. We'll have to wait and see. :smiley:
Although I never really have to work around my schedule to watch Alias, I am mad at the fact that it has had a schedule change twice in two years. To me, Sunday is its true home, and the day it should still be on. At that time, it had better ratings (but I'm not saying it was because it aired on Sunday) and fewer fans were frustrated.

I still don't understand why Alias has so many breaks throughout the season. Like you said, that's probably another reason it has less viewers now. I don't see other shows taking that many breaks, so I don't know what's going on with ABC.

The question is: Will things make a turn-around soon, or will many devoted Alias fans still be frustrated? We'll have to see.

Thanks for your comments, spy_girl21.

*GASP* - i don't know what to do with myself.... ok, but seriously it might be a blessing in disguise... then we could possibly see syd a bit more in the field... hmmm....

OK, first of all ... from the beginning of the season we already knew that "Alias" was going on hiatus for a long period to handle with JG maternity leave from set ...

"Dancing with the Stars" was a great success on wednesday nights for ABC during the summer, the decision to move it to thursday nights is simple ... if the 2nd season show can have the same impact as the 1st season, ABC will be happy since THURSDAY night is the biggest competition on network TV for years ... ABC just wants to see if they can have some of that pie ... and they are ... ABC used to be the last network on thursday nights ... and now its 3rd, sometimes 2nd with its shows ... "Alias" has been third in its time-slot, while "Pirates of the Caribbean" managed to be # 2 ... so, it all depends who is watching ...

and since everybody already has death sentenced this season to be the last ... well, we may as well enjoy the episodes we get ... cause we are counting down to the finale ... ;)

*GASP* - i don't know what to do with myself.... ok, but seriously it might be a blessing in disguise... then we could possibly see syd a bit more in the field... hmmm....
This hiatus could be a "blessing in disguise" for Alias. It depends on the impact Dancing with the Stars 2 may or may not have on ABC. As many people know, Thursday is a hard day to get viewers for any show.

Hopefully this long Alias break will give us something more in return when it's over.

We'll have to wait and see!

Thanks for your comments, mountaineer0414.

OK, first of all ... from the beginning of the season we already knew that "Alias" was going on hiatus for a long period to handle with JG maternity leave from set ...

"Dancing with the Stars" was a great success on wednesday nights for ABC during the summer, the decision to move it to thursday nights is simple ... if the 2nd season show can have the same impact as the 1st season, ABC will be happy since THURSDAY night is the biggest competition on network TV for years ... ABC just wants to see if they can have some of that pie ... and they are ... ABC used to be the last network on thursday nights ... and now its 3rd, sometimes 2nd with its shows ... "Alias" has been third in its time-slot, while "Pirates of the Caribbean" managed to be # 2 ... so, it all depends who is watching ...

and since everybody already has death sentenced this season to be the last ... well, we may as well enjoy the episodes we get ... cause we are counting down to the finale ... ;)
It's true that we knew Jennifer Garner would have to take some kind of maternity leave, but nobody knew how long it would last until recently. Once the word got out, people started having many different feelings about what the impact would be on Alias.

Even though Alias should have more viewers, it doesn't. If we could control the viewers, ABC and Alias would be #1 every Thursday, and we wouldn't have to worry about it anymore. Since that isn't the case, we can only hope for the best.

It's unfortunate that Alias has already been "death sentenced" by many people, because I'll probably still want more after this season.

Thanks for your comments, Alias_Gay.

-- Josh

Back