Darkfall?

If the only items that degraded were things you actual wore or wielded, I'd be OK with that, I guess. I'm really more of a trinket collector. *shrug*

From a Darkfall Dev Journal - I thought I would share:

Someone was asking about arrow physics: In Darkfall arrows fly in a realistic arc and they leave a light tracer. They fly quite a bit faster than any MMO I've ever played and they have a pretty long range, longer than I've seen before in MMOs. I would say that the bow experience is pretty realistic. I don't think that we need to limit their range since you actually have to use considerable player skill, luck and plenty of experience to hit someone near the range limit. In other MMOs bow range is limited in a way by radar range since you have to select your target, something we don't do in Darkfall. Arrows in Darkfall do quite a bit of damage, and the bow will be a pretty powerful and effective weapon in the right hands.

This is real-time combat. Weapon range, weapon swing, they matter. Timing matters. You have special attacks. The location where you hit your opponent matters. Friendly fire is on. Collision detection is on. You can push people, you can box them in. You have more weapon choices than you can imagine. You have to lead the target with your ranged weapons. You aim your spells, you aim your attacks. You have mounted combat, naval combat, cannons, warhulks, hundreds of spells. What else is possible? Something I don't think we've mentioned before is that you can hit multiple opponents with one swing. So if you're fighting with a polearm right next to your clanmate there's a chance if you're not careful that you'll nick him along with your target. If you're charging players using a mount and slice at them you could cut down a few of them if they're running in a bunch. Lots of fun really, but definitely not simple.

This is one of those games that I'm really looking forward to. It has the possiblity of being an incredible experience... or the largest collection or griefers in existance. I'm hoping that the alignment system actually prevents people from slaughtering each other left and right and encourages faction based warfare like it's meant to.

What really hooked me was how realistic they made everything. If you are stalking a beast it can smell you coming, so you need to properly judge the wind and stay downwind from it. Your name doesn't glow neon above you, so if you wear dark green clothing and hide in the dark green foliage, you can successfully ambush people. Etc etc.

...Your name doesn't glow neon above you, so if you wear dark green clothing and hide in the dark green foliage, you can successfully ambush people. Etc etc.

You mean I can finally do that without going outside!? :O

SWEETAZZ!!!

(disengages Fenrak the Meanderer and runs home)

Meh, I play games to have fun... ten seconds spent on those forums is enough to show you that far too many people will be out to ruin your fun. One of the main "features" in the game, which would have helped prevent griefing, is gone. Which is that guilds can now have multiple races. That means all the evil people, regardless of race, can join up and create a town. Part of the "downside" to being evil was that you would have a hard time selling/trading/repairing/etc. But without the feature that prevent multi-race guilds, it won't take long for the griefers to make their own city and grief as often as they like.

Plus, in keeping with the "play for fun" mindset, I like getting really cool looking weapons/armor that is really powerful... and keeping it. Soulbound is lame, but degredation is even more lame. I'm liking the HJ way... wyr.

And last, but not least, no instancing plus seige warfare plus 10k servers? Yeah... right. The server(s) will be crashed more often than EVE. b-( It became a "tactic" in eve. The same will happen in DFO.

But mainly it's all the jerks. I hope it comes out, though, if for no other reason than to lessen the number of griefers in HJ.

That means all the evil people, regardless of race, can join up and create a town.

But wouldn't that make their town one giant target for the other guilds to siege and destroy? I'm still very hopeful that a nice balance will be found.

And last, but not least, no instancing plus seige warfare plus 10k servers? Yeah... right. The server(s) will be crashed more often than EVE. b-( It became a "tactic" in eve. The same will happen in DFO.

Actually it's not clear whether the caves and whatnot will be instanced. I've heard it both ways. Though yes, no instances in the main world. But don't underestimate modern server technology. It's improving all the time and I really don't think (seeing as they have many examples to go off of) that a company would purposely ruin themselves when they could just par down the number of people to something reasonable.

But wouldn't that make their town one giant target for the other guilds to siege and destroy? I'm still very hopeful that a nice balance will be found.

Well, it's a nice thought... but I wouldn't bet money on it. Or pay money on it, in this case. Even if I knew there was a decent balance, I wouldn't bet money on them actually staying. There are many games coming out, such as HJ, with many of those feature but minus the full loot pvp. So many of the "nice" players might not even stay. Whereas there are 0 full loot pvp games coming out (that I know of) so the griefers would (probably) be staying. That's just my opinion, though. Could be wrong... but again, I'm a cheap bastard. No way would I risk money on it.

Actually it's not clear whether the caves and whatnot will be instanced. I've heard it both ways. Though yes, no instances in the main world. But don't underestimate modern server technology. It's improving all the time and I really don't think (seeing as they have many examples to go off of) that a company would purposely ruin themselves when they could just par down the number of people to something reasonable.

Everything about the game will be non-instanced. There will be tunnels underground, which will work like a semi-instance. In that EVERYONE will be there, and they'll be part of the same server, they simply exist to help with travel time. Because the gameworld is supposedly huge.

I followed the game for a while... to include msg boards and all interviews/blogs/previews/etc. I still watch it, because they did say that while it was unlikely to make a non-full loot server, that it wasn't totally out of the realm of possiblity. DFO, on paper, is a very amazing looking game. But I have no faith in humanity. The things people derive joy from is, quite simply, baffling. To include griefers... and/or people who are "glad the --- cowboy is gone." Though I think that message was removed as quickly as it was posted.

So I just really find it hard to believe that there will be even the slightest chance of a "balanced" population. Nor do I think that they would stay long, if they did start.

In a world of griefers, one guild rose to power, determined to stand for truth, justice, and honor, no matter what. This is their story. This is their legend. This is...

"Darkfall: The Last Bastion of Good"

*dramatic crescendo on horn*

Coming to a server near you, this Launchmas.

~Dune~

Is there any particular reason why Darkfall isn't going to go the way of Shadowbane? The two seem conceptually pretty similar, in the very large lines, and I know SB didn't work out.

That game actually sounds really good. PvP can be potentially very good or very bad but if they made enough punishments for senseless killing then it might work out alright. Also the item degradation thing, I'm not quite sure if that's really such a bad thing. To me it seems like items will not be very important in that game which is a very good thing.

Is there any particular reason why Darkfall isn't going to go the way of Shadowbane? The two seem conceptually pretty similar, in the very large lines, and I know SB didn't work out.

I don't follow Darkfall, and I didn't follow Shadowbane. I can't really comment on their conceptual similarities. My wife followed during and played after release.

I don't think Shadowbane failed due to their concepts. In my opinion, the cause behind Shadowbanes failure was the massive amount of bugs, server instability, and the fact they never delivered on content that was promised.
The concept of Shadowbane was massive siege city vs city warfare in a lore filled world. The concept was what brought people in regardless of the problems which led to them not sticking around.

I don't follow Darkfall, and I didn't follow Shadowbane. I can't really comment on their conceptual similarities. My wife followed during and played after release.

I don't think Shadowbane failed due to their concepts. In my opinion, the cause behind Shadowbanes failure was the massive amount of bugs, server instability, and the fact they never delivered on content that was promised.
The concept of Shadowbane was massive siege city vs city warfare in a lore filled world. The concept was what brought people in regardless of the problems which led to them not sticking around.

I didn't follow Shadowbane. Didn't hear what it promised. I loved it, though. It was my first mmorpg and my first love.

I'm not really sure how much I would like it now and I'm sure HJ will be far better. First of all I don't really like any of the races (as far as I can tell). And second it doesn't really seem like the kind of game I usually like it seems very dark and I'm not sure how to put it but maybe to mature or something? I like the more fantasy like MMOs like HJ not the dark, evil, "ugly" ones.

I didn't follow Shadowbane. Didn't hear what it promised. I loved it, though. It was my first mmorpg and my first love.

*sighs* The hopes and gamer dreams we all had for that game, swiftly dashed by the reality during beta and more so after release. Great concept, superb lore master. Pity.

When did you play, Pinnelipe?

I loved Shadowbane in Beta... *LOVED* it! Then they let the lusers in once released, and the lusers ganked, and ganked. And ganked again. In two weeks, my character moved 10 feet, maybe. I cancelled shortly thereafter.

<eyes his Shadowbane icon in his gaming folder>

*sighs* The hopes and gamer dreams we all had for that game, swiftly dashed by the reality during beta and more so after release. Great concept, superb lore master. Pity.

When did you play, Pinnelipe?

I was around 14 years old at the time, so....maybe 6 to 5 years ago?

*blinks* Well with a name like Momma I'd assumed you were well... an old hag like me :smiley: But nooo you're as young as my hubby.

Trying to remember dates here... that means you played end of year one and into year two, eh? That means the major bugs, server instability was still there. *cringe* Dang those were nasty. Of course servers got better as people fled from the game like rats from a fire. heh

I am not young. I am chronologically challenged!

I remember the mass outflowing of jaded gamer refugees coming from Shadowbane.

If you don't mind my asking, what drew you in to SB? Conceptually it never seemed that newbie friendly. Which parts drew you in and made you love it so?

Back