Dave Eggers

Dave Eggers is awesome, has anyone else read either A Heartbreaking Work Of Staggerring Genius, his semi-autobiographical debut, or You Shall Know Our Velocity? If you haven't, I recommend them to all who enjoy the modern novel.

I'll definitely look into it... I'm all for a good book rec! Right now though I'm reading The Ice Storm by Rick Moody; but I'll be sure to check out Dave Eggers next! Thanks!
But just 'cause I have to ask... what kind of style is his writing?

:cool:

I don't know how exactly to describe it, but these guys took a stab at it:
"Headlong, heartsick and footsore....Frisbee sentences that sail, spin, hover, circle and come back to the reader like gifts of gravity and grace....Nobody writes better than Dave Eggers about young men who aspire to be, at the same time, authentic and sincere." -- The New York Times Book Review

"You Shall Know Our Velocity! is the work of a wildly talented writer... Like Kerouac's book, Eggers's could inspire a generation as much as it documents it." -- LA Weekly

"There's an echolet of James Joyce there and something of Saul Bellow's Chinatown bounce, but we're carried into the narrative by a fluidity of line that is Eggers's own." -- Entertainment Weekly

"Eggers is a wonderful writer, bold and inventive, with the technique of a magic realist." -- Salon

"An entertaining and profoundly original tale." -- San Francisco Chronicle

"Eggers's writing really takes off -- his forte is the messy, funny tirade, stuffed with convincing pain and wry observations." -- Newsday

"Often rousing ...achieves a kind of anguished, profane poetry." -- Newsweek

"The bottom line that matters is this: Eggers has written a terrific novel, an entertaining and imaginative tale." -- The Boston Globe

"There are some wonderful set-pieces here, and memorable phrases tossed on the ground like unwanted pennies from the guy who runs the mint." -- The Washington Post Book World

"Powerful.... Eggers's strengths as a writer are real: his funny pitch-perfect dialog; the way his prose delicately captures the bumblebee blundering of Will's thoughts; ... and the stream-water clarity of his descriptions.... There is genius here.... Who is doing more, single-handedly and single-mindedly, for American writing?" -- Time

Back