Dave

Dave is another great episode. 3.5 out of 4 stars

Food for Thought -- Just when Libby persuades Hurley to get rid of his food stash, more food is discovered on the island, recreating the same problem that he had to deal with before. If Libby wasn't around, I don't think Hurley would have much of a chance at losing weight any time soon. It's a good thing that she's there for him, because she seems to bring out the best in him.

"Other" Problems -- Making up another story is not something I would suggest the "Other" to do again, especially with Sayid listening. That's twice that Sayid has caught him in a lie, and he almost died because of it. Well, Locke's not going to be able to stop any 815ers/"Other" violence with his crutches, so I think the "Other" should plan on having a rough time. He'll probably have some way out of it, though, so maybe it won't be so hard for him. They also have to figure out if he was lying to Locke about not putting the numbers in the computer, so this isn't over yet.

Not Real -- When Dave "told" Hurley that nothing around him was real, I started to get a little worried. I didn't want everything to be imaginary, but then I realized that Lost still has at least a whole other season to go, and so I didn't believe Dave. While Libby brings out the best in Hurley, I think Dave brings out the worst in him. Good thing he's imaginary then, because I don't want to see Hurley flying off of a cliff any time soon. So, if Dave isn't real, does that mean that this episode isn't real either? :lol: Anyway, I hope Hurley recovers from his mind and body problems so he can be happy again.

NEXT:
It should be really cool to see what Rose and Bernard were like before they were on the island. I think that this episode (S.O.S.) will get them closer to finding Walt, but they probably won't get him yet. That's just what I think, though. Bernard and Rose flashback time!

I thought this week's episode was good, not great like the last couple of weeks, but hey, they can't all be 10's. ;) I did enjoy seeing Sawyer get a beatdown.

My first thoughts are that the best scenes in this episode were the one's involving "Henry". His statement of "even God can't see this island" is very interesting to me. Is it more psychological warfare (which he apparently loves) or is he jaded in some way and actually believes that to be true? I'm believing more pyschological warfare myself. And I'm leaning that way because he has yet to tell the whole truth about anything. Another statement he made concerning the timer was interesting as well. Did he enter the numbers? He certainly enjoyed telling Locke he didn't and then nothing happened. Just to get a reaction out of John. And how does he know what a magnet sounds like, especially if he's no "expert"? Just leads me to believe even more he knows exactly everything about island, and certainly about the hatch he is held in. Another reference to "Him". Who is he?

I would really like to see a Libby flashback just to see the how's and why's she ended up in the crazy house with Hurley. The only thing that surprised me with her was that we saw her in the asylum at the end of the episode. I thought we'd see her in there earlier, rather than later.

Next week looks fantastic.

duuuuuuude libby was in the mental hospital!!!
how freaky - i thought she was a psychitrist (wow cant spell that word this morning)
maybe she just lied about that cuz she could probably BS her way thru it having lived in the mental ward... orrrrrr she was a doc but then went crazy orrrrr the opposite - she was crazy, cured and THEN became a doc to help ppl like her
hmmm :Ponder:

When Dave "told" Hurley that nothing around him was real, I started to get a little worried. I didn't want everything to be imaginary, but then I realized that Lost still has at least a whole other season to go, and so I didn't believe Dave.
This may be the Turn of the Screw theory. ;) That is, it's all figments of someone's imagination. However, I don't think that would be satisfying to fans, do you? To have Jack and Sawyer and Kate--all their stories--just be Hurley's feverish imagination? The numbers--the 8/23 of the accident--so coincidentally tie in with Leonard's numbers already . . . and they are before the supposed breakdown, but might help inspire it, along with the island poster in the psychiatrist's office, and so on. (BTW, great casting there, as always.) Of course, I hated Identity (it's really a love-it-or-hate-it movie) and it's basically this concept.

Other than the fact that this is (to my mind, anyway) one of the least satisfying explanations for what's going on (although it's great for the producers to tease us with it! :lol:smiley:, the main reason I refuse to believe it is Dave himself. What does Dave do, anyway? All he ever does is try to undermine and hurt Hurley. He warps all of the positive things that Hurley thinks about others and about himself with his negative comments and he has a paranoid attitude that the people hired to help him are in fact trying to hurt him--which, let's face it--is probably not true (unless they were infiltrated with Others somehow). And, lets not forget, Dave was always telling him to eat. And now he's here going to save him by "waking" him out of his catatonia? Uh huh. Right. No, he wasn't telling him to step off a cliff to his death at all. :rolleyes: (One note: the picture was a Polaroid . . . kinda hard to "Photoshop" . . .)

The most interesting thing about this is: Did Dave come from Hurley, or did he have help from the Others? After all, he wouldn't be the first vision that had appeared on the island. ;)

how freaky - i thought she was a psychitrist (wow cant spell that word this morning)
Actually, a psychologist, not a psychiatrist (the difference is that psychiatrists must have a medical degree). But it's interesting that she was a patient there--and that he doesn't remember her. Obviously she doesn't want him to know that--that must be why she lied about the plane meeting. Now, maybe we'll get a backstory on her? I wonder what her problem was?

Making up another story is not something I would suggest the "Other" to do again, especially with Sayid listening. That's twice that Sayid has caught him in a lie, and he almost died because of it. Well, Locke's not going to be able to stop any 815ers/"Other" violence with his crutches, so I think the "Other" should plan on having a rough time. He'll probably have some way out of it, though, so maybe it won't be so hard for him. They also have to figure out if he was lying to Locke about not putting the numbers in the computer, so this isn't over yet.

My first thoughts are that the best scenes in this episode were the one's involving "Henry". His statement of "even God can't see this island" is very interesting to me. Is it more psychological warfare (which he apparently loves) or is he jaded in some way and actually believes that to be true? I'm believing more pyschological warfare myself. And I'm leaning that way because he has yet to tell the whole truth about anything. Another statement he made concerning the timer was interesting as well. Did he enter the numbers? He certainly enjoyed telling Locke he didn't and then nothing happened. Just to get a reaction out of John. And how does he know what a magnet sounds like, especially if he's no "expert"? Just leads me to believe even more he knows exactly everything about island, and certainly about the hatch he is held in. Another reference to "Him". Who is he?

I still think that "Henry" is taking some very calculated risks (risky risks). For example, it's hard for me to believe that these curious and throrough scientists wouldn't know about the note on the money . . . perhaps they want to give the impression that they aren't as smart as they are? (Although they do make some mistakes--apparently Ethan's bringing in Claire before the baby was born, for example.) And surely they plan for at least some obvious contingencies (and checking the grave would be one, in my book). As much as they hate him, having a live Other is potentially more valuable than having a dead one--no matter how dangerous he might be. . . . And "Henry" still has something of an ally in Locke. In any case, after seeing that last expression in the promo--did I not tell you that actor was expert at looking creepy?--it's hard to believe that he's not still somehow in control. What a manipulator! It's breathtaking, truly.

If he ever seemed for-real scared, it might have been when he was talking about "Him." Who, indeed? "Henry" said he's "nothing, nobody," or something like that, right? Are we to take that literally or figuratively? Hm. How far we can believe him as far as the incident/numbers go is anybody's guess. He may simply be leaning on one of Locke's buttons--Locke is heavily invested in "his hatch" and the whole mythos surrounding it; if it's based on a lie, then what happens to Locke's Grand Purpose in Life? My guess, the button keeps on getting pushed. Ironic though, if "Henry" is lying and Locke believes him--thereby building a "real" cult around a "hollow" center--if you see what I mean. Good lord, but that's complicated, though.

On another note, Henry's comment about God? Good question. We can't tell, he's so equivocal about everything. But I wouldn't be surprised if these cold-hearted psychologists didn't believe in God . . . if so, they sure must not believe in God's wrath . . . because, man, they'd sure be in store for some. ;)

Man, that was long-winded. Sorry about that.
✌️

In any case, after seeing that last expression in the promo--did I not tell you that actor was expert at looking creepy?--it's hard to believe that he's not still somehow in control. What a manipulator! It's breathtaking, truly.

If he ever seemed for-real scared, it might have been when he was talking about "Him." Who, indeed? "Henry" said he's "nothing, nobody," or something like that, right? Are we to take that literally or figuratively?
That is the main reason I said next week looks fantastic. I cannot wait to see the reason why he's smiling the way he is. I get weirded out just thinking about that smile.

Absolutely, he wasn't necessarily scared when Sayid had the gun on head and certainly not as scared as when he started to mention "Him". I thought we might see a puddle on the floor. (I think "Henry's" I'm nothing statement is figurative. Kind of like in the grand scheme of things on this island, there are fish much bigger than myself.) It's clear "Him" isn't Zeke. So who? Alvar Hanso? Right now I think that is too obvious of an answer, but I could be wrong.

I was a bit disappointed about the episode.
It was really obvious, from the title and from the first sceen with "Dave'", that Dave was inside Hurleys head. Hello - Fight Club.
And what a big surprise that Libby also was a patient in the mental ward.
He said he recognized her, and she said she was a psychologist. That's a classic TV/movie thing to say, when you are an ex-mental patient now set free.
I'm soo used to beeing surprised on Lost it kind of sucked that all the major Hurley-things of the episode was expected.

But the Henry-parts was really interesting. What's he doing there? What about the button?

I liked the episode though it was quite predictable. It has been quite obvious that Libby had been a patient in the same hospital as Hurley. If Hurley knew her from somewhere else she would have said it and not tried to hide it. I guess we can stop thinking whether Libby is an Other.

I'm not sure what I think about Hurley/Libby... On one hand I like that Hurley gets a girl but on the other hand it's a bit freaky. Maybe Libby became obsessed with Hurley in the hospital?

I was bit surprised that Hurley actually believed what Dave said.. But I guess the problem with Dave is over because Hurley got rid of him, just like in the hospital. I don't think Hurley would have jumped even if Libby hadn't turned up.

Can anyone tell me the name of the actor who played Dave? He looks really familiar but I can't remember where I have seen him..

I did enjoy seeing Sawyer get a beatdown.

Oh yes, the best part of the whole episode :D

Overall, this episode didn't do much for me. Not only did Sawyer have to get knocked around a bit (for no apparent reason--the fact that the producers seem to think that his character keeps needing to be demoralized and made inferior (worse at cards, can't win a fight, etc. see the pattern? :rolleyes:) bothers me a lot--but not much happened in general. I liked the two twists (Dave isn't real, Libby was a patient!), but not much else.

I wonder if "Henry" is telling the truth when he said that nothing happend, and he didn't type the numbers.. Because I really don't think anything is going to happen!

So the man with the the beard is not the leader, acutally he is "nothing" so I really wonder who the real big boss is! Could it be Jack's father? :eek:

And Libby in that mental hospital, interesting twist.. So is she lying about being a psychologist or was this before she became a psychologist..

And one more thing, where is Michael? do we know where he took off? Is he with Walt and the others?

It has been quite obvious that Libby had been a patient in the same hospital as Hurley. If Hurley knew her from somewhere else she would have said it and not tried to hide it. I guess we can stop thinking whether Libby is an Other.
Can we? (Cue Twilight Zone music) We still haven't seen her backstory and its possible that she's manipulated by them somehow . . . ;) Maybe she was a psychologist before she was in the psych ward and was driven bonkers by her involvement with the Dharma project . . . wouldn't that be a kick in the head? :lol:

Overall, this episode didn't do much for me. Not only did Sawyer have to get knocked around a bit (for no apparent reason--the fact that the producers seem to think that his character keeps needing to be demoralized and made inferior (worse at cards, can't win a fight, etc. see the pattern? :rolleyes:) bothers me a lot ...
Yeah, the pattern is that Sawyer brings these things on himself because he hates, loathes and despises himself! :lol: If you don't know anyone remotely that self-destructive in real life, count yourself lucky. ;)

I wonder if "Henry" is telling the truth when he said that nothing happend, and he didn't type the numbers.. Because I really don't think anything is going to happen!
It's hard to know because everything he says seems to be half-truth, half-lie. But it would be nice if something would happen because nothing happening is the boring alternative. Of course, the way things are going, it looks like it might be the correct alternative, but with unHenry weighing in on the nothing side, the odds of something happening have actually just bumped up a tad. ;)

So the man with the the beard is not the leader, acutally he is "nothing" so I really wonder who the real big boss is! Could it be Jack's father? :eek:
The leader being incompetent, booze-head pop-o-Jack? Gag. :puke:

That might be enough to make me tune out. Seriously. :lol:
✌️

I wasn't that thrilled to see Hurley's flashback ... please don't ask me why ... but it seemed rather ironic that he destroyed his stash of food, when they find that whole "pack" of food right there ... and all of a sudden he starts seeing Dave ... :confused:

Hurley gets smacked, while he knows Dave is not real ... the picture ... that freaking shocked me ... and then he sees him in the jungle and he gets hit with a coconut ... why are they playing with my head like that? :thinking:

"Henry" is definitely part of "the Others" but should I trust what he is saying ... don't think so ... as someone said before ... whatever he says might be half-true/half-lie ... anyway, can't wait to see why he has that "smirk" on his face ... :woot:

and then ... :thud: Libby in the same hospital as Hurley ... how the heck did that happen? :Ph34r: that shocked me too ... ok, we have been talking about it, but to see it happen ... just like that ... wow ... :thud:

I give it a 3.5 stars out of 5 ... (y)

Back