David Anders Interview

From David Anders.com-

[slight spoilers]

WE KNOW THAT ALIAS IS COMING BACK FOR A THIRD SEASON, BUT IS THERE TALK OF MR. SARK COMING BACK FOR THE THIRD SEASON?
David Anders: Absolutely. I'm a regular. I have a future on the show. Don't worry, Sark fans.

WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO YOUNG PEOPLE WHO WANT TO GET INTO ACTING?

DA: Just follow your heart. If it is a dream, like it was for me, then just nuture your talents and follow it wherever it may take you. For me, it took me to L.A.. I mean, I was accepted to certain programs, and I decided to just 'rock it' immediately. And that has worked out thus far. At the start I thought it was going to be a bad move, it was going to be futile, but it has turned out for the best. I just say, study...study, study, and nurture it, and see where it takes you.

WHAT ARE YOUR FUTURE GOALS IN TERMS OF YOUR ACTING CAREER, AND WHAT IS YOUR ULTIMATE GOAL?

DA: My future goals?...I just want to keep working. As often as possible. Whether it be on TV, film or stage, I just want to constantly be working. Ultimately, I would just love to be in film, ultimately, but I really have no control over that. I would be happy just being a working actor, someone who is not even recognized or anything. Someone who you know their face, but may not know their name, you know what I mean? I am fine being anonymous really. Maybe I am talking out of turn, but I would rather a Robert Logia than a Tom Cruise, you know. A John C. Reily than a Tom Hanks. Retaining your ananimity, but that too is out of my hands.

IF YOU WEREN'T AN ACTOR, WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO DO?

DA: I don't know, really. I mean, I think acting is what I am suppossed to be doing. Acting is what I most enjoy doing. I'd probably be a teacher or something. I'd like to a coach of some sort. Honestly, I would want to be a football player. I mean, if I had a true chance in life, I would want to be a football player. That's it. That's all I ever wanted to be. But alas. Moving on.

HOW HARD IS IT TO GET INTO THE BUSINESS OF ACTING?

DA: Well, it can be very. It's all subjective. It is very hard to get into the 'business' of acting. If you are in the 'business' of acting, try not to immerse yourself in the 'business' of acting. Just involve yourself in the 'acting', I think. You always have to have some business-sense though, or else you get screwed. Surround yourself with people who you trust, and who can be trusted with your money and your livlihood. It's hard. But some people can do it pretty easily. I'm lucky. I kinda lucked out.

WHAT IS IT LIKE TO WORK WITH JENNIFER GARNER?

DA: It's awful. No, it the best. She is the sweetest, most hardest working actor in Hollywood, I think. I have never seen any trace of ego or pretense with her. She, and everyone else in the cast, they are all terrific to work with. Very giving. It's just a delight. They are all lovely people.

IF YOU COULD WORK WITH ANYONE IN THE BUSINESS, WHO WOULD IT BE AND WHY?

DA: Directors would be Cohen brothers, Paul Thomas Anderson, [Martin] Scorsese. Actors, it would be Sean Penn, Johnny Depp, Gary Oldman, Philip Seymour Hoffman, [Daniel] Day-Lewis. Actresses, it would be Meryl Streep, Dianne Weist, and of course the lovely Natalie Portman. The reasons are obvious.

DO YOU HAVE ANY FUTURE PLANS TO ATTEND COLLEGE?

DA: It's always been a point of interest my mom always brings up. (imitating his mother) 'You know you should take some classes sometime when you are on hiatus' and stuff like that. For the time being, it's not what I really want to do. Ultimately though, I would love to have a degree in something that is completely opposite of theater. I would like to get an English degree. I would just like to broaden myself right now, as far as the craft goes. I think of myself as a sponge as far as life goes. I'm a student of life, I guess. Right now, I'm kinda absorbed in work for the time being. Yes. I would love to go to college. Eventually.

HAVE YOU EVER STUDIED MUSIC, AND DO YOU PLAY ANY INTRUMENTS?

DA: I studied piano for two years. I've played the drums for four years. I'm alright on a set, not very good, but like um, I was in the middle school band. Snare drum, tri-toms, timpini, [stuff] like that. I am not proficient on neither, today.

WHAT IS IT LIKE TO PLAY AN EVIL CHARACTER LIKE SARK?

DA: It's a whole lot of fun, man. I've always said that its more fun to play the antagonist than the protagonist. It's, I don't know, it's just so opposite of who I am and it's so fun to slip into the skin of someone as devious as some people might see Sark. You can't ever judge your character or characters. You can't ever say that he's a bad guy or a good guy. I guess it's kinda cut and dry on Alias, it's kinda black and white, but, I don't know. I think William H. Macy said you can never, um, he plays a lot of people who could be viewed as 'losers', you know what I mean, but you can never play it like a loser. You always gotta play it like a winner. He hasn't lost yet, you know. I think that's how I see Sark. I think Sark is a guy who didn't have certain things. He feels like, for whatever purpose, he feels like it's not bad what he's doing. It's just a means for greater things for himself and maybe for the world. Maybe Rambaldi has the key to eternal happiness. That's what Sark wants. Who knows.

I would die if he wasn't on the third season. I am a BIG Sark fan.(Thats the understatement of the year) :D The truth is that....I am really........a............SARKAHOLIC! :rolleyes:

Back