Horror Dawn of the Dead

totally different. no fast zombies for one. night and day are great. original dawn is an amazing zombie movie. remake is abysmal in comparison if that influences anything.

So I watched the original Dawn of the Dead last night and I tried really hard to like it and get through it but I couldn't. After the first hour and a half I was bored and I really didn't care about any of the characters, when I checked to see how much time I had left on it and saw there was another hour I just couldn't bring myself to watch the rest of it.

I can appreciate it was good for it's time but I still 100% prefer the remake. The remake cut the movie down to an hour and a half (or so) and even with the loss of an hour it got me far more emotionally invested with the characters than the original did - and the remake had about 4 times as many characters to get to know and watch. IMO had better pacing and I was never left bored.

I know the movie is a good 30 years old but I couldn't get past;
- The horrible zombie make up. Half of them looked more blue than anything and the rest didn't look like zombies at all. I really don't remember any of the zombies at the mall looking as if they had been bit; no blood, no bites or scratches, no blood around their face and their clothes were cleaner than the main cast.
- Acting from both the main characters and the zombies. Main characters were pretty dull, and the zombies were more robotic than anything. The only decent zombie I saw was Steven as the end when he was bit - he should have given everyone else a lesson on how to move.
- As I mentioned before I didn't have a problem with running zombies. I did notice some things the zombies did in this film that bugged the hell out of me though. Getting shot by a shotgun to the chest doesn't make them move an inch, but lighting a flare will force them to shield their eyes? What? xD And at the end they were climbing up ladders - far better than the lead female did when she was trying to get away. One was even holding a gun.
- I think my favourite parts were seeing where some of the cameo's in the remake and nods to the original came from. Like Tom Savini who was a zombie in the remake I believe. I recognized him instantly xD

So yeah, I dunno. Just wasn't feeling this one.

as a remake it is totally different.fast zombies among other changes. all destroying the point of the movie and showing the outbreak (which was a good scene) totally goes against the movie it is based on. Where the causes are to never be known or seen. The acting was sub par and overall not good. A decent movie but an abysmal remake.

Maybe it would have been better if it was called Mall of the Dead or something haha. Most remakes tend to make some changes though, especially when there's a 20 year something gap between theme - different target audiences, etc.

yeah i still would not llike it but the dawn name is just tacked on. I hate the idea of remaking something and then taking away everything that matters in it.

Seen it, loved it too. It had potential for a sequel as the last scenes did show they tried to run away from the island the just landed on...

Personally it was the best movie Romero made. All the rest weren't decent at all.

I could go all day about Dawn of the Dead. I love Dawn of the Dead. I enjoy the original and the remake equally. They were both great at what they attempted to do. Romero tackled consumerism and really created a masterpiece with the original. His use of the set is amazing and the ending is so damn good. I almost cried. Snyder on the other hand tried to reinvigorate the zombie genre for modern audiences. He also did this perfectly. Fast zombies are a huge debate among the zombie world but what everyone has to remember is that DotD was a horror movie! Having slow zombies and a slow but inevitable death scared the hell out of audiences back then. Snyder knew that using Romero's scare tactics would be useless to today's more "hardened" audiences. Instead, he used fast moving, adrenaline-fueled zombies. This change brought audiences to fear zombies once more. I love both Romero's and Snyder's DotD and can enjoy both of them. I have seen them at least 5 times and they are both on my Top 5 movies of all time.

They're scarier because you're a hell of a lot easier to catch., I'd imagine :P But I do like the suspenseful atmosphere that the slow zombies bring.

I wish, I had it on a flash drive and I lost that flash drive. I remember I got a B on it though mostly just syntax errors. The professor was pretty impressed with the content though. You know Val they have a unrated director's cut of this movie and it brings a bunch of special features. It has this thing of a video diary the guy at the gun shop kept.

Aww, that's too bad :P

And yeah I think I have that version :P I've watched the special features so many times haha. Love how they showed behind the scenes and how they did the zombies.

Back