Death, or Something Like It

Ok, if i fail exams, it is totally NOT my fault, i blame it on JJ Abrams.....
Anyway here is the next little segment!! it's PG/PG13 i guess....
ENJOY!!

Chapter Five

One Month Later

Vaughn woke up, for the second time that night, in a sweat. He hadn’t gotten a decent sleep since that first night with Sydney. He knew why, but he didn’t want to admit it.

She had cleverly avoided him ever since the party. When she did run into him, her manner was conversational; she treated him just like she treated everyone else. She pretended that they didn’t have an incredibly complicated, yet amazing past relationship hanging over them. He should be happy that she was avoiding him, he thought, because it meant that he didn’t have to avoid her. But you know the saying, be careful of what you wish for, because you might get it.

He cautiously slipped out of bed, not wanting to wake Alice. He felt horribly guilty, she had been so good to him the year after Sydney disappeared, and he knew he couldn’t have made it through without her. But here he was, dragging her back through all of his problems, and she hadn’t said a word of complaint. He wished she would get angry at him, it would make his life ten times easier.

He threw on a t-shirt and quietly stepped downstairs. In an effort to clear his mind, he hit the pavement, and immediately felt a great weight lifted from his shoulders. For him, running was like drugs or alcohol—it made him forget about his problems, but as soon as he stopped, they all came rushing back.

He didn’t even realize where his legs were taking him until he found himself in front of a house he painfully remembered. He had spent many contented nights in that house, but his most painful memory of the house, was his last memory. He had gone to pick her up after his debrief. They were going to go to Santa Barbara. He had walked in the front door and his heart dropped down to his feet. The house was in complete disarray. There was broken glass everywhere, kitchen silverware and drawers littered all over the floor. He checked all of the rooms, screaming her name, but receiving no answer. His heart rose when he heard an agonizing groan coming from the bathroom. He sprinted in and was ashamed that he had felt disappointed when he found Will alive in the bathtub and not Sydney. He called 911 and Will was rushed off to the emergency room.

He was staring at her house, lost in thought, when he realized her bedroom light was on. He knew he should leave because he was in danger of crossing a line he had sworn he wouldn’t. But all of that reason went out the window, like it did frequently when it came to Sydney.

He walked up to her front door and hesitated only for an instant before knocking. There was no turning back now.

He heard the clicking of her various locks, and then saw her head peak out the door staring at him.

“Vaughn? What are you doing here? Is everything alright?”

He smiled, thinking he could tell her that he was alright now, but somehow he didn’t think she would appreciate that.

“Uhh…yeah everything is fine, I just couldn’t sleep, so I decided to go for a run and I ended up here.” He looked up at her, “I saw your light on, and was wondering if you wanted to talk.”

She looked at him, and for a second he was afraid she was going to turn him away, but she stepped aside and let him through.

He looked around the room, trying to push aside the horrors the house brought back to him.

She walked past him, into the kitchen, “Do you want anything to drink? It’s a long way from your house.”

“Yeah, sure, thanks.” He said, following her into the kitchen.

She handed him some ice water, “Lets sit down.” They sat down on the couch, keeping their distance, neither one of them trusting themselves.

There was an awkward silence, which Sydney was the first to break, “So are you still playing hockey?”

“Yeah, here and there—uh, Syd—“ he said, moving closer to her, “I wanted to say that—“

He stopped, leaning forward, his face inches for hers, covering her hands with his. He could feel her breath hot on his face. He knew he shouldn’t have come.

“Vaughn,” she whispered, staring at his mouth, feeling the tingling sensation in her hands from his touch, “this is not a good idea.”

He closed his eyes, leaning closer to her, “I know Syd, but you drive me insane.”

He lightly brushed his lips against hers and when she didn’t pull back, he gently kissed her, remembering her taste and the feel of her soft skin underneath his hands. She leaned into him, wrapping her arms around his neck. He pushed her down, lying on top of her, a dull voice in his head-screaming stop. He suddenly felt her freeze underneath him. She pushed him off her, sitting up with tears in her eyes.

“Vaughn, please, just go.”

“Syd—“

“Vaughn! Go! Before we both do something that we regret.” She sobbed pushing him out the front door. She quickly closed it, trying to shut out temptation.

They both were leaning on either side of the door with their eyes closed, both cursing themselves for losing control.

Come to me now
Lay your hands over me
Even if it’s a lie, singin we’ll be alright
I shall believe

Broken in two
And I know you’re on to me
That I only come home when I’m so all alone
But I do believe

That not everything is gonna be the way you think it outta be
It seems like every time I try to make it right it all comes down on me
Please say honestly you won’t give up on me
I shall believe
I shall believe

Open the door
Show me your face tonight
I know it’s true; no one heals me like you
You hold the key

Never again,
Will I turn away from you
I’m so happy tonight but your love is alright

But I do believe
That not everything is gonna be the way you think it outta be
It seems like everytime I try to make it right it all comes down on me
Plz say honestly you won’t give up on me
I shall believe
I shall believe
I shall believe

I Shall Believe
Sheryl Crow
I'm sorry, this chapter isnt written very well, and it's kind of sad... :confused: :( .....
REVIEW!

I like it. I like it a lot. I think this is a great fic and this chapter was a nice addition. I hope she opens the door before he ;eaves and welcomes him back in. Alice can wait.

I already got a really good idea for the next chapter, and all the holes that are in my story will hopefully be filled....THANKS FOR READING!! and i only have one more exam left!!! YEAH!!

Really good! I love how u r makin Vaughn suffer...! But u can put them back 2gether ne time....'Hinting....' when r u gonna update?

hahaha!! i hadn't thought of that!!!
ok, I have the next enstallment written (IM THROUGH WITH EXAMS!!!!!) and i want an opinion from someone so if you want to review it for me first PM me and i'll send it to you!
whoever it is can be my permanent editor, cuz as my readers i need to make sure i am posting things you guys are going to enjoy!
so i need someone who is not afraid to tell me that it is A. a stupid idea B. a good idea or C. to stop writing all together....SO! PM me!!!!
Thanks!

ANYONE??? if i don't get a response soon then i am just going to post it......i'm really excited about this one.....

ok, yeah so i have no patience WHAT SO EVER...so i am posting it now, and the offer is still open for an editor :smiley:

alright, sorry about the other night guys, i was going to post it BEFORE MY COMPUTER KICKED ME OFFF THE INTERNET.....
anyway, thanks to girlincognito for responding to my plea for an editor!
here's is the chapter and sorry for the delay! and sorry that its kinda short too....

Chapter Six

Sydney lay awake, staring at the ceiling, afraid to close her eyes; afraid she would fall asleep and be plagued by the nightmares of the past two years. She hadn’t told anyone that her memory was slowly coming back in bits and pieces. She couldn’t make sense of what she had seen yet, but she had seen enough to be ashamed. She had another reason for not wanting to go to sleep. The faster she went to sleep, the faster the next day would come. She despised the day, when reality would hit her head on.
She treasured the night when she could pretend she was off somewhere with Francie, on some exotic island. She would sometimes allow herself to imagine being in Santa Barbara with Vaughn, but not very often.

She especially didn’t want tomorrow to come, because she was scheduled for her first regression therapy session. She had successfully avoided the CIA the past month, making excuses, she wasn’t ready, she needed some more time, anything to keep them away. She knew as soon as the session was over, her life before she had disappeared, would slowly fade away, until it was only a memory she could barely recall. She wasn’t ready to accept that yet, she wasn’t ready for her times with Francie, Will and especially Vaughn, to disappear. She had so few precious memories with him to begin with and she wasn’t anxious to replace them with the nightmare of the past two years of her life. And from the pieces she had seen so far, it was definitely a nightmare.

“Michael? Michael? Hello? Come back to earth…MICHAEL!” Alice finally screamed, losing her patience.

“What?” Vaughn asked, oblivious to her persistent calls. He glanced at his watch and then looked up at her worried gaze and sighed, running his hands through his hair.

“Sorry…”he muttered.

She rolled her eyes, turning back to the stove. “Is there something you want to talk about? Something you want tell me?”

Vaughn started shaking his head, but then stopped, frowning. “Actually, there is something that you should know, that I probably should have told you a while ago. I-I quite my job yesterday.” There, he had said it. He had actually quit two days ago, but she didn’t need to know that.

Alice stared at him, the scrambled eggs sizzling in the frying pan. “You what? Are you serious? W-why?”

Why had he? Well, that was easy, but he couldn’t tell it to his wife.

“I just wasn’t enjoying it anymore, my heart just wasn’t with teaching anymore.” That was partly the truth anyway. Honestly, his heart had never been in it, but then, he hadn’t really had a heart to put somewhere in the first place.

“Well, do you have another job? What are you going to do? I saw some adds in the paper for accountants…you know my dad’s an accountant. He could probably find you a job. Maybe you could work for him!?” She had turned back to the stove, stirring the eggs.

Vaughn swallowed, “actually, I already found another job. I’m going back to the CIA.”

Alice continued stirring the eggs, a little harder and faster than before. She served them onto a plate without saying anything, slammed it down in front of him.

“This is about Sydney isn’t it? It’s always been about Sydney! Even when we were dating, you’d always have to cut our dates short because she was having some kind of crisis. Even after we got married, I could still tell when you were thinking about her, you’d get this—this sad, pitiful, glazed over look. It made me sick! But I ignored it, Michael, I ignored it for us! I figured, it would pass and you would forget about her. But she’ll always come first, won’t she? Even if she dies, I’ll always come second. I don’t think I can live like that.”

“This has nothing to do with Sydney! Don’t bring her in to this!” You are kidding yourself man, she has everything to do with it.

Alice laughed bitterly, “Please Michael, she is the first person you think of when something happens. It’s always ‘now how will this effect Sydney?’ If this marriage means anything to you, then you’ll stop seeing her.”

“Excuse me? Listen, Sydney and I have a lot of—“

“History, I know, I’ve heard this all before Michael.”

“Yeah, well, you can’t just forbid me to see her!”

She looked at him sadly, and shrugged her shoulders, "You're right, i can't."

Vaughn became momentarily distracted, looking at his watch.

“Do you have somewhere to be? Because don’t let me stop you!”

“Alice, please, I have to go, can we talk about this when I get home?” He said, grabbing his jacket.

“Where are you going?”

“I-I have an appointment. Regression therapy.” He said, under his breath, half hoping she wouldn’t hear him.

“It’s for Sydney, isn’t it?” She said staring at him coldly. When he didn’t meet her eyes, she just shook her head, grabbing her keys off the table. She stopped as she passed him.

“If I’m not here when you get home, I’m probably at my parents. Don’t call me, I’ll call you.”

And without another word, she left, leaving Vaughn by himself, with only his guilt to keep him company.

Spent all you time waiting, for that second chance
For a break that would make it ok
It always some reason to feel not good enough
And it’s hard at the end of the day
I need some distraction, oh, beautiful release
Memories seep thru my veins
I may be empty; oh and weightless and maybe I’ll find some peace of mind

In the arms of the angels fly away from here
From this stark, cold hotel room
And the endlessness that you feel

You are called from the wreckage of your silent reverie
You’re in the arms of the angels, may you find,
Some comfort here

Angel
Sarah MacLauglan
alright! sorry for the delay and i hope you all enjoy it...i am going away for the next coouple days but i would lke lots of REIVEWS to come home to!! (hinthint)....
THANKS GUYS!!

BRILLIANT!!!! im sry i didnt reveiw earlier but i had evil exams gettting in the way. i luv all of the angst in this story!! ur songs also match the plot really well. POST!!!

Back