Politics Deep Throat's identity revealed

Jinnie

Chronic Lurker
* This is not an anti-Bush/Republican/Conservative topic and has no business turning into one like every other thread. This is history!

FYI: "Deep Throat" was the secretive source who provided information that helped unravel the Watergate scandal in the early 1970s and contributed to the resignation of president Richard M. Nixon. (Wash Post article)

CNN.com : Deep Throat Revealed

And then:

Woodward, Bernstein and Bradlee (editor) confirm

BugMeNot info on accessing washingtonpost.com:

Anyone else feel the urge to rent/read All The President's Men?

Maybe it's just me, but my goodness it was all that was on the news today, when that didn't seem necessary.

I guess I don't see the big deal. Sure he was the main reason Nixon resigned, but that happened whether or not we would've ever found out who "Deep Throat" was. I say that, and by no means want to belittle what he did...but it happened 30 years ago.

It just doesn't seem like it warranted the coverage that it got. Even Ted Turner, who founded CNN, said that he thought that the coverage was ridiculous. Us knowing who Deep Throat was doesn't change anything that happened in history.

For some reason, I really don't care :lol: Perhaps it's because of my feelings towards Nixon and how his actions during his term effected my family. I tip my hat to DT.

I don't understand how this can be brought back to President Bush...considering that his father wasn't in office during that time.... :confused: I coud understand if this thread was related to religion, or one of issue he's spoken about like stem cells, war in Iraq but this is the past..... :blink:

I don't understand how half the topics here eventually lead to Bush. :P But that's neither here nor there.

I think DT is so huge because it's one of the few times where the media is justified to pat themselves on the back. The reporters' dogged determination toppled the then-most powerful man on earth (and 40 other politicians/Nixon staff members).

And it may have been thirty years, but mistakes are best avoided by learning from the past. :smiley: As a result, history will never be irrelevant.

I understand why it's significant and I also tip my hat to the press in this situation. They had the nerve to expose the administration. It's just, I don't really care about who Deep Throat was. Honestly, I'm just thankful for what he did and I wish there were more whistle blowers today.

As a whole, I love history but there are certain parts that I don't embrace like DT's identity being revealed, that's just me though :D :rolleyes: *shrugs*

I'd actually like to know who Carly Simon wrote about in her song "You're So Vain" ;)

sugababyboo said:
I understand why it's significant and I also tip my hat to the press in this situation.  They had the nerve to expose the administration.  It's just,  I don't really care about who Deep Throat was. Honestly, I'm just thankful for what he did and I wish there were more whistle blowers today. 

As a whole, I love history but there are certain parts that I don't embrace like DT's identity being revealed, that's just me though  :D  :rolleyes: *shrugs*

I'd actually like to know who Carly Simon wrote about in her song "You're So Vain" ;)
[post="1364549"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Mick Jagger

noggi16 said:
Do have anything like offical secrets act? Should deep throat be prosecuted?
[post="1364888"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I don't think he should be prosecuted...and given his age it is highly doubtable.

But, technically he could be prosecuted for his actions. He did leak secret intel to the Washington Post. This is one of the reasons that they wanted to keep his identity secret until after Deep Throat passed away.

I believe theres a statue of limitations for stuff like this. Besides, who cares? It was 30 years ago and it was NO suprise that this guy was deep throat.

There probably isn't a statue of limitations, (although there is a large chance I could be wrong.) because they wanted to prosecute that man in Japan.

Its probably his age that would stop them. And it would be a partisan prosecution

noggi16 said:
There probably isn't a statue of limitations, (although there is a large chance I could be wrong.) because they wanted to prosecute that man in Japan.

Its probably his age that would stop them. And it would be a partisan prosecution
[post="1365922"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

They made it sound like there wasn't one, just because they originally didn't want his identity revealed until after his death. So it makes me believe the reasoning for that was for his safety and so he wouldn't be prosecuted.

I doubt that he would be in the US at least. Anyone who tried would be met with fierce oppostion.

the problem here is that there is the isssue: Should he be Prosecuted?

NO! the man is a hero! he toppled a dispicable guy by exposing THE TRUTH

i can't believe that they (and i know you all know who i mean by "they"...) want to put this poor old man on trial for doing something to expose their (and i know you all know who i mean by "their"...) party--

i for one am glad that he announced who he was--for once the mysteries of the past are known

()aliasyeah() said:
the problem here is that there is the isssue: Should he be Prosecuted?

NO!  the man is a hero!  he toppled a dispicable guy by exposing THE TRUTH

i can't believe that they (and i know you all know who i mean by "they"...) want to put this poor old man on trial for doing something to expose their (and i know you all know who i mean by "their"...) party--

i for one am glad that he announced who he was--for once the mysteries of the past are known
[post="1366244"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

There are people who don't think he is a hero, and have come out and said that he is a "disgrace" and should be prosectued.

I definitely don't think he should be...but sadly, there is a chance that he might be, because like I said I don't believe there is a statue of limitations on something like this.

He could be like Roman Polanski and flee the country! I kid, but he is quite old and many others deserve to be imprisoned, instead of him.

The thing that bothers me about all of this is that his family has openly come out and said that they want money to put his grandchildren through college, and that's the reason they wanted him to come forward. They are already looking at book and movie deals. They were in it for the money.

The reason his identity was not to be given up was the legal consequences that could face him. By forcing him to come forward, he could face legal ramifications (though I doubt that would happen, it is still a possibility).

Jamison said:
The thing that bothers me about all of this is that his family has openly come out and said that they want money to put his grandchildren through college, and that's the reason they wanted him to come forward.  They are already looking at book and movie deals.  They were in it for the money.

The reason his identity was not to be given up was the legal consequences that could face him.  By forcing him to come forward, he could face legal ramifications (though I doubt that would happen, it is still a possibility).
[post="1366602"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

That just reminds me of Jeff Gannon, he said that he left talon news to protect himself and his family. Not even a week after, he went on all these talk shows, opened up a site and actually hoped that he would be invited to White house dinner. He wasn't and he was upset. Bill Maher went :lol:

That's horrible that his family is selling him out. He should flee.

Back