Sci-Fi Defiance (SyFy)

Last night's episode was well done, I thought
I had to rewind the DVR a bit to understand just how exactly the crisis of the episode was resolved. I'm still not sure I get it (the resurrection part I got, just not the part how the razor rain was taken care of).

I also wasn't sure what purpose the ending served, other than to keep eyes glued to the set...
I had to think which scene you meant then realized.... "Oh, that scene with _____ and _____ in _____ after they _____. :eek:"

I had to rewind the DVR a bit to understand just how exactly the crisis of the episode was resolved. I'm still not sure I get it (the resurrection part I got, just not the part how the razor rain was taken care of).
I don't think the razor rain itself was "taken care of" except that this round finished...just that the large chunk of spaceship (that I guess was separate from that) was diverted from its original course.

{SPOILERS, people, don't read unless you've watched the S2 finale}

I don't think the razor rain itself was "taken care of" except that this round finished...just that the large chunk of spaceship (that I guess was separate from that) was diverted from its original course.
I think I may have to go back and rewatch it. :X3: I was following that the ship was not part of the original razor rain but was 'called' from orbit at the command of the guy in the arch and that somehow the fact of the ship coming down stopped the rain.

I had to think which scene you meant then realized.... "Oh, that scene with _____ and _____ in _____ after they _____. :eek:"

As far as I understand the ship in the storm was what the shrapnel was from. Steering it to earth stopped it from being in the storm.

Yesterday's episode was a bit interesting, though didn't seem to hold my interest near as much as the rest of the season...the real excitement was at the end of the episode where they set up the next episode, I thought.

Yesterday's episode was a bit interesting, though didn't seem to hold my interest near as much as the rest of the season...the real excitement was at the end of the episode where they set up the next episode, I thought.
The astronaut story I think was just an elaborate way for it be exposed to Nolan & the others that the Votan doctor was involved in some shady stuff that has not been revealed before publicly. It also gave a little bit of more to the background story as to the war that took place. In an earlier episode we saw a young Nolan watching the first ships arrive and last night's episode showed that the astronaut disappeared prior to that event and when the aliens did reveal themselves they claimed to have come in peace. With the doctor revealing how & why the astronaut came to be on their ship it is setting up a darker story arc.

But, still, they took 45 minutes of air time to set something up that could've been done in 5.

But, still, they took 45 minutes of air time to set something up that could've been done in 5.
Agreed, and they'd already set up the doctor with some sort of "sordid past" while the bombmaker was incarcerated in an earlier episode. So, it wouldn't have taken that much to fill the audience in.

I also thought the ending with the astronaut finding his "true love" from decades ago was a bit cheesy. A person sticks around the same spot after an alien invasion, and never moves on with their life after that long, believing someone was dead?

This past week's episode was interesting in several ways, including killing off a character I figured had several more episodes in him...and then bringing on the first mayoral race challenger. Only a few more episodes until the season finale...

This past week's episode was interesting in several ways, including killing off a character I figured had several more episodes in him...and then bringing on the first mayoral race challenger. Only a few more episodes until the season finale...
I was expecting the challenger to the mayor as the those two (I can't remember the characters names, the guy & his wife) have been scheming for power since the first episode but the character who was killed, that I was not expecting at all nor even would have guessed at. With the last couple of episodes with that character getting more entrenched in the local scene I thought they were being set up for a longer story arc or even possibly as a regular character so I'm actually happy to say I didn't see that one coming (I have a bit of mental entertainment with shows of guessing what is going to happen next in an episode as I'm watching it). It seems like there is also a showdown being put in place for Little Wolf where she will need to decide exactly which group she stands with.

It seems like there is also a showdown being put in place for Little Wolf where she will need to decide exactly which group she stands with.
I definitely see that coming, since there was the drama between her and her "father" following the (what turned out to be unnecessary) killing a few episodes back. I imagine it will probably play a large role in the season finale in a few weeks...given the preview they gave of this next episode (and the constant squabbles between the lawman and the challenger), I imagine if the mayoral challenger ends up victorious, there will be quite a bit more drama involved.

Loved this week's episode. The only nit I have to pick is with revealing the "true murderer" before the end of the investigation. Well, that and the about-face by Datak near the end of the show...

I've not read through this thread as I don't want spoilers but wanted to ask if it's worth buying season 1 when its released in a few weeks as I've heard from a few people it's an ok show so I'm wondering how good it is?

I've not read through this thread as I don't want spoilers but wanted to ask if it's worth buying season 1 when its released in a few weeks as I've heard from a few people it's an ok show so I'm wondering how good it is?
I can only speak for myself, but I've loved almost every episode, and am definitely going to be putting it on a Christmas list.

Wow...watched last night's season finale of Defiance, and loved every minute of it. Lots of "oh s***" and "didn't see that coming" moments throughout. My only beef is that SyFy is going to make us wait almost a WHOLE YEAR before the new season. Um, what?

Wow...watched last night's season finale of Defiance, and loved every minute of it. Lots of "oh s***" and "didn't see that coming" moments throughout. My only beef is that SyFy is going to make us wait almost a WHOLE YEAR before the new season. Um, what?

I'm a bit surprised that they are waiting until next year as that plan didn't work out to well for Alphas, Heroes, and other shows that lost big chunks of viewers between seasons.

Definitely some unexpected twists :eek: in the finale for which I must appreciate the writers for. (y)

**** SPOILERS ****

Jim Murray (Chaos) is joining the second season of Defiance as a new regular. Murray will play Niles Pottinger, the new mayor of Defiance. Appointed by the Earth Republic, Pottinger is shrewd, polished and charming. But his civilized veneer hides a ruthless pragmatist who traffics in information and secrets, and mercilessly punishes those who defy him. His latest object of desire is ex-mayor Amanda Rosewater (Julie Benz).

I wonder what they're going to have Amanda do, now that she's no longer in charge. Take over the brothel for her dead sister?

I wonder what they're going to have Amanda do, now that she's no longer in charge. Take over the brothel for her dead sister?
I hadn't thought about that but that would allow her to stay in a role that has some influence on the town while also moving her character to be a bit more on the 'edge', so to speak, that would be more in line with Nolan.

Back