Politics Depressed and stuck

KoalaMV

Cadet
I need help. Lately my depression has been getting the better of me, and now I feel I just want to "run away" and start over. I honestly feel I can't get back to who I was if I stay here. I love the Portland, Oregon area, but I feel a location change would be good for me, and a job change. My doctor has even said a place with more sun might be good for me. Has anyone else gone through this? It's just that every time I think about staying I seem to "sink lower."

I'm just not the same person I was 8 years ago (when I moved back to Portland), and I find it hard to smile honestly. I feel I stay because of the comfort factor (staying with what I know).

I'm 36 and I don't recognize myself anymore. I feel like I just go through the motions. I want to smile and enjoy life again.

The Las Vegas area has been on my mind (and I don't gamble), probably because of location - driving distance to some wonderful places.

I just need to get this out and maybe get some help/ideas from someone.

Heidi

I think if you could leave to a better place with sun as your doctor said then you should go for it.

Ive never had depression, so I really dont know what to say.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Depression is a hard thing. I watched my sister go through it. She's 31 and it got the better of her when her and her husband had financial problems due to his business. They really wanted to make it work but they kept sinking lower. She was the one that was bringing in the money and to her it just seemed to disappear constantly.

She got some medicine for it though and was fine after a few months.

It's just a mental thing. It's hard. I have anxiety and i know it does feel like depression sometimes because you just feel awful. But you have to try to get passed it. It's all in the mind. I'd say moving somewhere more eventful and colorful such as the West Coast is good, there's alot to occupy yourself with.

Also you should try to find something that gets your mind away from life's inconviences. I like to workout and play basketball. But i also love to write. Maybe you should try keeping a journal, and writing down what you feel and try to find ways to help fix that, or atleast free your mind from it. So i'd say taking up a hobby is good, one that you really enjoy.

Otherwise i don't know what else to say. I just hope you feel better and get passed this, i'm sure you will. Life's not easy, some people have a harder time than others, but that just makes us stronger in the long run. Once you do get passed this you'll look back at it and proudly say you beat it.

Take care!

~Kristina

I can't say that I know exactly how you feel but I had seen someone close to me go through the same thing.

We had lived in FL for many years and we had made a move to Las Vegas, that's when things began to fall apart. This person was unhappy and I watched them loose weight, loose interest in everything and no matter what we had tried, nothing seemed to worked. This person had no interest in anything.

Even I began to see that person's point, that Las Vegas wasn't for all of us and how much we missed all the things we had taken for granted.

6 months later we moved back and I can't tell you how happy we all are.

I think before you move, you really need to evaluate where you may want to move. Check out several cities and see what you think.

I'm not discouraging you from moving to Vegas (that just wasn't the place for us), but definitely evaluate the location where you want to go.

Sunshine is definitely a plus for depression and find some activities that may interest you to help you with your depression.

I hope you can find ideas in all of our suggestions.

Take care and I hope everything works out.

Ok, So this is my oppinion...
I´ve been in exactly your place and i know how you feel, but to run away from the place you live in will probebly not work. I did that exact thing last year and it worked at first but then it all came back again. You just have to ride it out, it´s hard and it takes time but i doubt that your problems will go away just because you live in a different place.

life is a horrible, shi**y , sh***y place. but you cant let it beat you, i let it beat me and it wasnt the best experience, but after that, i fought the depression, the insecurities, everything that was wrong. and i slowly managed to ge tmyself out of bed in the morning. I slowly managed to stop relying on pills, and it took set backs, i had horrid days but i didnt let it beat me again. and now i'm pretty musch through it, i'm happy, i have amazing friends and an amazing life. I guess what i'm trying to say is that you are amazxing, things are never as bad as you think they are you just have to get through ti all somehow, i know it seems impossible but you can do it.

and please realise i'm here to talk to , pm me whenever you need me,

it will get better, just ride it out, and eat lots of chocolate, and please seek help if you need it, talk to people, they're there for you

I can see exactly where you're coming from and I'd have to say if you think it will help you and if you in your heart really wanna go then go ... try to make a fresh start, that's all I've wanted to do for years, move to the other side of the world and just get away from everyone and start again (y) So do it, do what makes you happy (y)

I once thought that if my family was to move to Washington (where we were thinking of moving for awhile) that things would be better than it was here. That I wouldn't have to deal with the conservativeness of my town, the loneliness I feel at school, and just other felgercarb. But then I realized that I have to stick it out because 18 months isn't that far away (when I leave for college). I really don't know what you should do. And since you are older, I really don't know what to do. PM me anytime. I'm here for you.

Back