Sci-Fi Describe Something SciFi

The Alien ship appeared in the center of the armada, pulsed once and disappeared again. I watched the horror unfold as the pulse radiated thru the fleet, jamming my control stick into a vertical dive to purchase safety from it.
The pulse passed thru the immediate ships effortlessly and continued out in a blossom of death. I watched in sadness as each ship slowly dissolved into atomic dust. The few ships that were able to maneuver from the horizontal radius of it streamed off in all directions like a swarm of bees.
There were some remaining ships that only partially escaped and they were dissolved in all manner of ways. Half-dissolved panels and structures littered space along with partially dissolved people.
The weapon they used was indefensible. It was some type of pulsing wave that destabilizes the atomic bonds that hold atoms together. Its edge cuts like a knife and the pulse wave scatters the elements that made the matter like a blast wave.
The only saving grace is that it radiates outward on a plane similar to a ripple in a pond and is only about a kilometer wide and dissipates in less than a minute. The biggest fear is we have no idea how to track the alien ships and the pulse recharge time is unknown.
Too small of an effect to endanger Earth but it would certainly split the moon.
Was this a small weapon or their largest?
Who are they and where are they from?
Are they heading for our Sol System?
Is there a defensive strategy?
How do we track their ships?

Too many questions, Too much death and destruction and this is but our first contact.

The Stove watched us from afar for a thousand years. Learning us, our habits, our languages and our biology. They arrived last week, two of them in their little ship just large enough to fit them.
I was chosen as part of the welcoming committee because of my cancer. Given less than a week to live, I was prepped and instructed by the world's leading scientists to make first contact.
The Stove were extremely strange looking. Nicknamed the Black C's, because they resembled tall black letter C's. About 3 feet wide and over 9 feet tall they sluffed about on their bottoms by some unseen locomotive force.

As we met I could clearly see some type of writing in their midsection. Not a plaque or a uniform, the writing seemed to emboss out of their bodies in a brilliant yellow glow. As we grew closer I read the writing, It was English and it said "We Are Stove"
The smaller Stove approached me and the writing changed to "Heal"
It touched me and I immediately felt a warm flow fill my body. As it radiated rapidly thru me I felt overwhelmed with vitality. My vision went white and flashed back to normal. The entire sensation lasted but a few moments but the result left me feeling strong and healthy.
The writing changed again "Healed"

At that moment the larger Stove approached me as it's writing morphed into "....to be continued...

History will write that it was Mankind's first megastructure.
Poets and singers will tell the tale of the world's first cultural union.
People will forget the significance and accept it as a normal condition.
It's really quite remarkable...

The Filament is what its called.
Covering the entire planet is a tiny web of conductive nano structure mesh.
It absorbs energy in all forms. From sunlight to movement. Storing the energy within itself.
Energy that can be tapped with a simple RF-type signal.

No more fossil fuel, no more wind turbines, solar panels, batteries or power plants. No more wires, fuel tanks or collectors. No condensers or amplifiers and most important, no maintenance required.
At the sea floor, in the deepest trench to the highest peak of a mountain. A continual covering, absorbing, gathering and releasing. Stretching and growing along our changing planet surface.

Signal range is roughly 9 miles into the air. Abundant, FREE energy.

Cortez One Probe

Mission:
Send back molecular signatures from the interstellar void.

Application:
Use the molecular signatures to construct molecules and elements found beyond the Solar Bow Shock Boundary.

72408main_ACD97-0036-1.jpg

Practical Applications:
Diarite - Elemental construct harder than natural diamonds but silicon based
Pheophren - Blood additive that carries more oxygen
Triazatine - Additive that makes carbon nano-tubes mutable
Aminoblyte - Genetic absorptive that renders all genetic switches turned on
Many, many more...

Duration:
Fission powered mechanically indefinite lifespan. Funded by marketing of new materials and patents.

Controlling Institution:
UWSA - United World Space Authority

Ketchup - Who Knew?

Back in the early years of the 21st Century mankind was helpless against the effects of cosmic rays.
All until a simple space accident by hungry astronaut.

Randy Boudir haphazardly sprayed a packet of Ketchup onto a cosmic ray detector in the old ISS.
He hurriedly commenced to clean up that awful red mess from the sensor and noticed it had stopped registering any cosmic rays. As he wiped the mess away, the detector once again started spurting forth data.
On a hunch, Randy spread more ketchup onto the detector and it went eerily silent again. A simple swipe confirmed his discovery.

Next time you take your trip to one of the outer planets just remember that its only a thin film of ketchup that protects you from a relentless shower of deadly cosmic rays.

Thanx Randy!

PPBs
Personal Plastic Bottles

Nobody remembers how this got started but it is a mega world-wide business now.

It seems humans have adopted a need to carry around their own personal plastic bottle. Some are filled with liquid, some with material and some are empty but everyone carries one.
About the size of a standard 16oz drink bottle they range in color and contents to match each person's personal preference. It's kinda like those old cell phones everyone had to have. I guess when the ocular implants became the communication mainstay they opted for something else to carry around.

I have my own PPB (who doesn't) but it's just not that important for me to always have it in my possession. I've seen people really freak out if they misplace theirs.

Silly Humans...

Deep within the Earth's crust there are a series of fabricated shells of super density. Our hardest drill bits have no bite on that mysterious substance.
It wasn't until the late 21st Century that we discovered the true nature of these constructs.

During the early days of life on this planet all life was anaerobic. These life forms exhaled oxygen and polluted the atmosphere making it deadly to them. They moved underground to escape the hostile oxygen levels.
Over the eons these life forms became sentient and grew. Their scientists mastered the elements and created these huge shells as an airless habitat so they could flourish.
Three Billion Years of evolution resulted in a lifeform that is superior to the surface dwellers in every way.

Now, They want their planet back...

Panel Training

The 'Panel' was opted the slang name given to the new neural interface being fitted to mechanical structures.
As navigator on the fleets newest most powerful starship I was first to receive panel training.

Stripped completely naked I was ushered into the application chamber to be fitted with my panel. It was slightly chilly as my skin reacted to the dry cool air within, giving me a shiver and those old familiar goosebumps. No chair or furnishings I stood in the center of the chamber as directed by the unseen voice of the operator.
A holographic timer displayed a countdown so I could be prepared to hold my breath. Tens seconds agonizingly ticked by and at the last digit I filled my lungs and breathed no more.
The spray was chilled but not cold. It saturated my entire body instantly, even spraying forth from microscopic nozzles in the floor. I wanted to shut my eyes from the onslaught but I was instructed not to. The whole application took less than a second and the voice soon instructed me to breathe normally. The chamber door opened and I stepped out and into an awaiting robe. A few seconds in the scanner and I was deemed 'Applied' and sent to prepare for my tour of duty.
I didn't feel different? As a matter of fact, I felt pretty good.
I gathered up my belongings and headed to the ship. Berthing was simple and fast and after a quick bite in the mess hall I proceeded to the bridge to continue my practical panel training.

This was certainly the strangest bridge I had ever seen. There were no controls, no view-screens and no accommodations. Just a room, white in color, empty but for a few other crew members.
I was instructed to pace the room in its entirety. They told me to heel-toe the entire floor slowly and as I positioned myself in a corner I noticed the room got slightly brighter. I did as instructed and returned to stand in front of my instructor for my next phase of training.
His gaze seemed to flutter and suddenly I was immersed in activity. The entire room came alive with information. As I gazed around in wonder I noticed each crew member had a readout of color and data that followed them as they moved. I could see their health and mental awareness as hues of color. I looked at my own hands and they faintly glowed similar to my ship mates.

The instructor thankfully allowed me some time to take in this assault on my senses. Finally, quietly telling me to think of any destination. I said to myself "Saturn" and instantly a chart appeared before me with our position, our destination and thrust vectoring timing and specifications. I heard "Good, Now take us out" from the instructor and suddenly a simple control stick materialized in front of me. I made motion and grasped the stick with my hand and it felt as if I was actually holding a control stick. I pushed the stick forward and the ship moved! Raw data came pouring into my 'Panel' as I navigated the ship into Pull. Pull is the optimal location that allows all ships to maximize and amplify a celestial gravitational force. Until now, finding Pull was a tedious task requiring calculation of sensor data, mass and vectoring with a whole lot of computer assist. I had Pull instantly. As the ship came to Pull I announced "Pull" to my instructor and was commanded "Engage Pull, Navigator"
A trigger materialized on the control stick and I instantly depressed it. We engaged, Boy did we engage. A single blink of my eye and we had achieved our destination. I heard the instructor say "Passed" and the room went white and bare again.

I came to find out that the 'Panel Test' was not to test my skills or the Panel ability. It was to test my focus. Seems they actually developed a propulsion that moves the ship not with speed but with thought. A Thought Drive

The Universe is ours!

The Sculptor Void

supercls.gif

Wormhole Leo1263b opened mankind to new galaxies late in the 31st century. After establishing commercial trade routes and habitat worlds were found we expanded like locusts. Leo1263b had been stable for the last 2000 years according to our historical records. All that changed 73 solar days ago when the wormhole lost stability. Over 1,000 vessels were lost and billions of souls were stranded in the Leo Supercluster. No hope of ever returning or even contacting our empire.
Our end of the wormhole remains stationary but the other end materialized in the Great Sculptor Void.
Probes sent to find the lost ships actually found them, frozen and dead. From the data we received from the probes, before they too went dead, indicated an intelligent force within the Void. A hostile intelligent force.

Their ships emerged into our space shortly after our last probe went silent. Huge black balls with no indications, lights or propulsion method visible. Their attack was strange. According to recordings salvaged later, the huge spheres released a flotilla of pitch black orbs that absorbed all the energy of the ships and crews. We found the ships and everything aboard them completely frozen.

No sign of the strange ship or the mysterious black orbs can be found. It is believed they returned to the Void and the wormhole remains stable. Our scientists are working on a defense for the energy depletion weapon but so far every attempt involves using energy which will just give them more of what they steal.

Back in the 19th Century mankind used projectile weapons. Our weapons currently vaporize their targets using high energy discharges. They are completely futile against this enemy. Projectiles carry kinetic energy which may or may not make them vulnerable to the enemy's absorption spheres. Tests are being made to try freezing the projectiles to near absolute zero in hopes of a stealth impact.

Zycroptionium (once called Dark Matter) may be a defense or a shield since it has properties similar to their orbs. Zy blocks the transference of energy like an inert mass. It neither absorbs or radiates energy. In fact, the enemy's ships appear to be made of it or something similar. Work is currently being done to find a way to coat our ships and the new projectile weapons with Zycroptionium. Zy is expensive and difficult to extract but it can be synthesized. The problem is that the synthesizing process creates a massive energy signature that is sure to be a bright glowing target for the enemy.

We just got notified that Leo1263b is now active. Probe telemetry shows two ships emerging...wait 16..no, 60! My GOD! Its a steady flow and not slowing! 1000, 2600, 4000...

Been reading some extreme-history texts here lately. Intrigued by the prospect that
1) there was a developed civilization on Earth thousands of years ago. They built the Sphinx, the Pyramids, the stone structures in MesoAmerica.
2) Their home was what is now Antarctica. Continental drift moved it into it's current position.
3) Antarctica's original position in Pangaea was just south of the equator, hence a warm lush climate (verified by core samples finding palm tree bits). Could have been the inspiration to Atlantis.
4) depending on your philosophy, God sent the flood, or the gods of the time sent devastation, or these antediluvians destroyed themselves.

1) there was a developed civilization on Earth thousands of years ago. They built the Sphinx, the Pyramids, the stone structures in MesoAmerica.
2) Their home was what is now Antarctica. Continental drift moved it into it's current position.
3) Antarctica's original position in Pangaea was just south of the equator, hence a warm lush climate (verified by core samples finding palm tree bits). Could have been the inspiration to Atlantis.
4) depending on your philosophy, God sent the flood, or the gods of the time sent devastation, or these antediluvians destroyed themselves.

Certainly good inspiration for some stories.
I remember reading about a lost advanced civilization dated before 5,000 years ago. I don't recall the source but it cited lots of cool facts supporting the theory. It was online but that was back in the early 90's, Might have been on the old UseNet?

I recall seeing a TV show years ago that explained the great flood scientifically. Can't recall the name of the show - Might have been In Search Of with Leonard Nimoy? It talked about a release of a sub-crustal reservoir of water due to a plate shifting earthquake. Recently, I recall reading an article about another modern giant reservoir of water under the crust. That article was on a science website... Found It
Huge 'Ocean' Discovered Inside Earth

I didn't watch this just now but Here is the one I think I was referring to.

Who Knew?

James Turger was in the observatory after his shift one evening and was playing with his new 5 gigawatt spot light when he accidently shone it onto the telescope's mirror. The Scope recorded the image and as Jim tried to remove the evidence he noticed black spots in a pattern on the display.
James, being a curious guy, decided to map those dark spots against the star pattern. He flashed the mirror again and made some observations and found those dark spots were actually dark matter.

Canyons of Sedwick Four

Mission: Goldilocks-Bootes 592
Segment Time: MT3419825CT3137
Body: Binary Gas Giant Rocky Moon
Location: Bootes Cluster>Stratus Galaxy Layer 2>Dawn Rotator>Star 966/Sedwick
Mission Commander: Lanny McMurdock

Excerpt
:

"Data shows massive ancient tectonic upheaval created crustal stacking resulting in entire continents being elevated. The canyons became dammed and filled with water resulting in many waterfalls around the continental perimeter. Ranging up to 5 km wide and 3 km deep the canyons funnel across the entire plateau exiting as a massive waterfall to the West. The resultant sedimentary deposits have created small lush islands near the shore of the great basin ocean. The plateau is covered in a heavy green and yellow forest with blue water canyons giving it the appearance of a river system. There are heavy storms across the entire hemisphere."

Colony Factor: Prime 12
Phylogeny: Bacteria, Archaea & Eukaryota
Civilization: >Type Zero

~End Update~

Last edited:
Cell Theory

We thought we knew about plants. We were so wrong.
When Professor March devised a way to increase the sensitivity and speed of his galvanic sensors it was a minor scientific accomplishment. When he hooked them up to a Ficus he expected nothing more than just a bit more response signal. His discovery changed our very way of life.

During his test of the new configuration he externally stimulated different parts of the plant and recorded the results. What he didn't expect was results before the stimulus. The plant was anticipating.
The anticipation was not the only change his detector revealed. The plant was communicating. Communication so subtle and so fast that no detector had ever captured it.

On a whim, Professor March hooked the sensors up to a severed cell and found that not only was the communication happening, it was happening at the cellular level.

The Ficus was subjected to a series of stimuli that defined a yes or no answer. It was tested for prime number logic and not only did it learn quickly it was very good at it.

A Turing test was devised to determine if it had consciousness. The Ficus passed.

Professor March put together a team and started testing random plants the same way. They determined that all plants are conscious and intelligent. Work continues as the team attempts to teach the plants our language. Their response signals are so fast they are able to flash off alphabetical representations of letters with incredible speed. The team have dubbed this ability as "Cellular Response Typing".

The Game Room

I entered my new game room and sealed the orifice with a swoosh. I walked to the center of the barren room except for the control chair and activated 'The Bubble' and the clear barrier popped into place. The vent beneath me gave a quick swoosh of air and I picked up the control rod. Activating it, I chose a nice relaxing space battle game that allowed me plenty of exploring. I sat down and the holographic cockpit materialized around me. Outside the bubble the room morphed into a vista of a 3 moon gas giant and a starbase. My readouts indicated I was ready for warp and I depressed the button and the view zoomed into a blur.
My destination was a small planetoid in the Greadeez System. My goal was to reestablish communications and determine why trading had ceased. Sensors determined severe devastation all across the settlements. No radiation signatures detected. A sensor sweep of the system revealed no spacecraft or artificial satellites. Only faint scattered life signs on the surface.
When I landed, the bubble temperature increased slightly and there was a faint smell of decay present. The room morphed into a starport that changed as I walked around. Everything was blown to hell. I could see and smell dead bodies strewn about like a war zone. My control rod holographicly morphed into a pulse rifle. I did a test fire and the kickback was insignificant but I felt the rod get hotter just a little. I saw movement over by a blown out building and ran to investigate. The room changed as I moved. The bubble environment changed as well.
On the speakers in the chair I heard my mom telling me it was time for dinner. I saved my game and hit the end command. This is gunna be great!

sentient plants? what a moral quandary. how can we eat something that can communicate with us?
we're best off not knowing! imagine if cattle or chickens could plea to be spared.

Extinction Entry: ~gzyy61h72599935p12h4.00000019651G~
Subject: Event 161259885188 - Level 1
Location: Beatreest Nominan > Dderese Fontonac > Karea Pleaces Aniggata > Glomanadde
Language Conversion Matrix: Sentinel 6.English
Detection Method: Spectral Condensate
Summary:
Records show that the inhabitants of a small planet called Earth in the Sol star system created and deployed a static hole in the Universe using what they called a particle accelerator. Using electromagnetism, they accelerated a stream of leptons and collided them causing an eruption in the fabric of the Universe. The hole lasted for 6 hours standard time.
The results of this event caused a spiral boring down to the planets core at which time the planet broke apart. Ending all life and changing the balance of the system.

Reference: Glomanadde, Species h4.00000019651G, Earth, Static Anomalies, Human, Sapiens, Sapient, Type 0 Civilizations, Extinct Civilizations, Boson Physics
Details: See Spectral Condensate Capture gzyy61h72599935p12h4.00000019651G: 4,500,263,986.263 to 4,500,263,986.264

An exercise in creative writing. In a paragraph or three, describe something that fits into the Science Fiction genre. Something you made up yourself.
This is an open-ended exercise to help get those creative juices flowing.

I'll take the bait...

In the not too distant future, Doctors have begun to work with patients using the newest life saving tool in the operating room: a computer program, loaded into the human body’s electrical system, which quite literally takes over key functions of the body during surgery, re routing blood and body fluids around incisions, slowing down and even stopping the heart temporarily, and more.. so much more..

Named“The Operating System”

The invention has it’s costs in jobs, as anesthesiologists find themselves out work with the Operating System’s ability to completely turn off nerves, Blood loss is minimized as blood flow is literally re-routed and the heart rate artificially lowered. Entire organs are artificially turned off and the body’s use of them is diverted as they are replaced.

And combined with this technology - are memories…

No longer do you ave to suffer from the surgery and recovery you endured.

Your journey through the surgery is replaced with a pleasant day on the beach in Hawaii or an imaginary lover rather than 10 hours of surgery.

Yours. If you can affordit …

Reactions: Tom
Back