Season 5 Descriptive Summary Ep 5.07 - Fait Accompli

Season 5: Episode 7 - "Fait Accompli"
11/17/2005
Summary by superintelligentone aka SIO

The show starts with the announcement “Previously on Alias.” We see a recap of Renée Rienne after getting away from breaking into a U.S. Army Storage Facility in Germany. At the APO, Jack warns “Sydney, this woman is an assassin.” Syd counters “Vaughn trusted her... They worked together for seven years. The scene cuts to Director Bristow talking to Thomas Grace at the Firing Range. Jack explains “Sydney’s contact is Renée Rienne.” Nodding in understanding Director Bristow’s motivation for telling him, Tom replies “Really?” Jack reveals “Miss Rienne has been helping Sydney with her investigation into the Prophet Five conspiracy.” The scene switches to Renée talking to Sydney in her loft apartment, explaining “Michael always told me I could come to you.” Syd nods and whispers “Yeah.” We see a recap of Vaughn slouched against a tank car being machine gunned in the train yard by Dean’s men, and then Gordon glancing at her as he enters his car. Sydney is in the London tavern explaining to Renée “These people killed my fiancé... The father of my child.” Cut to Dean’s meeting with Sloane on the pier. He asserts to Arvin “Our agreement is whatever I say it is. I’m the one who got you out of prison. I can easily put you back.” We then cut to Gordon’s veiled threat “How’s your daughter?” Sloane replies “Nadia has nothing to do with this.” With an evil glint in his eyes, Gordon replies menacingly “Oh, sure she does.”

On a black screen is the caption ‘Rome’. Daytime in the University of Rome, Syd is speaking Italian to the Chancellor “Devo ammettere, Signor Rettore... che dopo questa visita avrei voluto frequentare la vostra università. (I have to admit, Chancellor Rettore… after getting the tour, I wish I had attended your university.)” The Chancellor replies graciously “L'importante, Signora Borghese, è che Lei sia qui ora. Il vostro contributo per la nuova ala in restauro è molto apprezzato. Grazie. (The important thing is you’re here now, Mrs. Borghese. Your donation for a new restoration wing is greatly appreciated. Thank you.)” Sydney’s cover is as a patron who has just made a large donation to the university. She explains “I nuovi artisti dovrebbero vedere le Pietà del mondo. (The artists of the future should see the ‘Pietas’ of the world.)” Chancellor Rettore smiles and replies “Sono pienamente d'accordo. Veda, è per questo che abbiamo aperto la nostra collezione privata al pubblico. (I totally agree. That’s why we’ve recently opened our private collection to the general public.)” Syd chuckles in response.

Elsewhere, Renée Rienne uses a screwdriver to pry open the hasp of the locked door without needing to pick the padlock in order to gain access to the basement archive. As the Chancellor tells Sydney “Mi farebbe piacere presentar La ai Decani dell'Università. Prego da questa parte. (I’d like to introduce you to The Dean of Students. Please, this way.)” Renée com-links “I’m at the archive. Your turn now.” Arriving at a locked door, Chancellor Rettore unlocks the door with a key on a keycase, then slips it back into his coat pocket, saying “Da questa parte, prego. Prego. (This way, please. Please.)” Syd picks the card from his pocket, then gasps and swoons as if she were about to faint. The chancellor catches her and says with concern “Signora Borghese, oh mio Dio, mio Dio! Ch'è successo? Si sieda un attimo. (Mrs. Borghese, oh my God, my God! What happened? You need a moment.)” Sydney blinks and acts unsteady. Chancellor Rettore holds her with his right hand while he reaches to slide a chair over with his left hand. Helping her sit down, he says “Venga, venga, venga. Oh Dio! (Come, come, come. Oh, God!)” Sydney acts embarrassed as he asks “Sta meglio? (Feel better?)” Syd explains “Un leggero capogiro. (A little light-headed.)” The chancellor smiles and encourages her “Meglio. Respiri, respiri. (Better. Breathe, breathe.)” Sydney leans forward and confides “Il piccolino sta già provando a insegnare alla mamma chi comanda. (The little girl is already trying to teach her mother who’s in command.)” He laughs heartily and says “Questi bambini sono terribili! (These children are terrible!)” Syd then rubs her forehead as if she is feeling unwell again and asks “Potrebbe gentilmente portarmi dell'acqua? (Would you kindly get me some water?)” Chancellor Rettore smiles and responds “Comando. Respiri. (As you command. Breathe.)” then leave to get her some water to drink. Sydney smiles and says “Grazie. (Thanks.)” After he is gone, she takes out the chancellor’s key case and removes a key from it. From inside her purse, Syd retrieves an electronic device. She opens its lid, presses the key into the mold inside and reports by com-link “Got the key.” Sydney closes the lid, so the device beeps and a red indicator starts to glow. She explains “It’s transmitting now. Insert key template.” In response, Renée inserts her template into her corresponding device. The red indicator glows and then she opens the lid to see an identical key created for her. Rienne informs Syd by com-link “Perfect. I’m entering the archive.” Renée turns the key in the lock and enters the dark archive room. Sydney puts the device back into her purse and searches for something at the desk. Renée shines her flashlight as several storage shelves filled with numbered boxes, then tells Syd “I need the lock number.”

In a flashback, Sydney and Renée are talking as they walk in a corridor. Syd looks at a slip of paper as she asks “So what are we looking for?” Rienne replies “All I know is it’s intended for Gordon Dean. The intel I received said it will be left for him at the University of Rome inside a package shipped to their museum archive.” Sydney responds “Well, how will we know which package?” Renée explains “It will be sent from Milan from an alias... Marcello Demasi.”

Back in the present, Syd looks at a clipboard and com-links “I found the alias. Can you give me a moment to find the name?” Rienne continues searching the shelves with her flashlight. Flipping through pages of computer printouts, Sydney finds the name and number, so she reports “Here it is. Marcello Demasi. Num...” But before she can finish, a friendly male voice calls out “Sydney?” She looks up in surprise and sees her former teacher from university. He continues “Sydney Bristow? I don’t believe it.” Syd flips the pages back down and puts the clipboard on the table, smiling as she replies “Professor Choi.” Back in the archive, Renée impatiently checks her watch, then says “Sydney, I need the lock number.” Syd smiles warmly as she approaches her former teacher. He smiles happily and gestures as he comments “Look at you. You look great!” She has a preoccupied expression as she responds “Thank you.” Rienne complains “Sydney.” Syd can’t respond to her because she has to deal with the professor, so she asks him “What are you doing in Rome?” Professor Choi explains “Uh, sabbatical. I’m teaching classes and doing some research. And what about you?” Sydney replies “Oh, I’ve just been traveling.” Pressing her finger to her ear to transmit, she stresses “12 countries in 22 months.” Rienne understands and replies “Got it. 1222.” Syd continues “I know that’s a lot, but I won’t have a chance after the baby’s born.” The professor replies “Ah.” Renée searches, she urges her “Now get out of there, before the Chancellor gets back.” Sydney tries end the chat by saying “Well, I should let you get back to your class.” But Professor Choi replies “No problem. I’m on a lunch break. We have plenty of time.” He smiles at the thought of spending more time with her.” Syd replies “Great” and nods, but her face shows that she wants to leave.

Renée finds wooden crate labeled 1222 and reaches over to open it, but she hears the sound of someone opening the archive door. She rushes off to hide just before a man with a flashlight enters the room. Rienne hides behind some crates with her pistol at the ready.

Looking at Sydney’s pregnant belly, Professor Choi asks with an embarrassed tone “You know, uh, I don’t wanna be presumptive, but, uh, you married?” Syd decides to lie and replies “Newlyweds.” The professor responds “Ah, eager to start a family then?” She explains “I guess you could say we dove right in.” Choi notes “Well, he must be some guy. You seem really happy” and smiles. Sydney is caught off guard at hearing that, then composes herself to say “He is.”

Renée watches as the man heads directly to Box 1222. He speaks through a com-link “I found the shipment. I’m retrieving the package.” As he opens the crate, Rienne creeps towards the man with her pistol at the ready. As he takes out a Chinese teracotta statue of an imperial soldier, Renée announces “I’ll take that.” He turns and looks at her in surprise. She orders him “Put it down. Step back.” The man lowers the statue then tosses it to her, then he jump-kicks Rienne as she catches it. She loses both her gun and the statue, which flies into his hands as she slams back against some crates. He draws a pistol from his waistband, but Renée preforms a sweeping kick with her left leg to his gun hand before he can shoot her. His shot fires into a crate and then the pistol falls to the side. She follows up with a sweeping kick his legs, knocking him down to the ground. The man rolls onto his back, then performs a kip up, springing to his feet and counter attacks with a side kick with his right leg. Rienne falls back, but blocks his follow-up roundhouse right punch. Renée tries to pull the statue from his right hand, so he punishes her with 3 successive punches with his left hand. The man then grabs her around the throat with his left hand and pushes her backwards into the crates behind her. She tries to pull his hand away, but she can’t, so Rienne punches the man in the face instead. He stumbles backward, and drops the teracotta statue, which breaks open and reveals a key card hidden inside. She ducks under his counter attack kick and grabs the card, pivoting to deliver a spinkick to the man’s head with her right leg. She then finishes her stunned opponent with a front kick with her left leg. Renée looks at the keycard as she com-links “Got it. I’m on my way to the extraction point.”

Still chatting with Sydney, Professor Choi asks “So is he with you, your husband?” Syd replies “He’s at the hotel” and notices Chancellor Rettore is coming back with a glass of water in the distance. She continues “I’d love for you to meet him. Um, we’ll take you to dinner. If you’ll just write down your number.” The professor is delighted with her invitation and replies “Sure, I would like that. Here, take my card.” He looks down at his attache case to find a card, but when he looks up again, Sydney has slipped away. Choi mutters “But... Uh?” The Chancellor arrives with a glass of water and both men look confused. Outside the university, Sydney walks down the steps and then Renée joins her on the sidewalk, explaining “It was inside the sculpture.” As they walk, Syd asks “Any idea what it is for?” Rienne replies “No. So... who was that man? Choi?” Sydney tersely explains “No one... He was from another life.”

Nighttime in at the National Naval Hospital in Los Angeles, Arvin Sloane presents his credentials to a marine guaring the wing where Nadia is being kept. He reluctantly walks into her room and gently kisses her on the forehead. The naval doctor handling Nadia’s care, Dr. Peter Marks, looks at her chart and tells Arvin “She’s still unresponsive. There’s been no change since yesterday. I’m afraid the Xylenol didn’t work.” Sloane suggests “The drug is still in the experimental stage. It deserves more time.” The doctor reluctantly explains “Mr. Sloane... We’ve kept Nadia in a medically-induced coma for five months now... None of our procedures have shown any promise. When we bring her out, she displays the same violent propensities... Now these treatments are extremely costly.” Arvin angrily replies “Expense is not an issue.” Dr. Marks continues “We’ve simply run out of options... At this point, anything that we may try is unlikely to inspire change. It may... even do more harm than good.” Sloane shakes his head and explains “I am not prepared to give up.” The doctor replies “Neither are we. In the meantime, I think you should consider alternative care... in a place a little more comfortable.” Arvin tersely responds “Okay. Thank you, Doctor.” After Dr. Marks leaves, Sloane puts his hand on Nadia’s hand. Moments later, Arvin’s cell phone rings. Taking it out from his jacket pocket, Sloane answers “Yes?” Gordon Dean who is calling, asks “How is she doing today? I feel for you. I can’t imagine how hard it must be looking into the face of your own sins.” Arvin steps away from the bed to go speak by the window and says with annoyance “What do you want, Dean?” Sydney Bristow has taken something of mine - an access card. I want you to get it back.” Sloane replies “Why? What is it for?” Gordon tells him “That’s none of your concern. Forty-eight hours. Don’t let me down.” After the call ends, Arvin looks unhappy with his assignment.

Gordon Dean and Kelly Peyton emerge from an office building after the phonecall. As he puts his cellphone away, she asks him “Are you sure this is the right move?” Dean asks “The right move?” Peyton explains “If they find out what you’re up to...” Gordon interrupts “Oh, they won’t. Besides, I don’t think I have a choice at this point.” Kelly sighs and tells him “You’re being paranoid again. You’re too important to this operation to be dismissed over a few setbacks.” He replies “Well, maybe you’re right, but some life insurance will help me sleep better at night. You, too, I imagine. Odds are, if they terminate me, they’ll decide our entire cell is a security risk.” As he enters his car, he adds “I’ll let you know when Sloane contacts me.” . Peyton watches as he drives off and looks as if she is contemplating her options.

At APO, Director Bristow is in his office, intently reading something on his laptop computer when Sloane enters and calls out “Hello, Jack.” The director informs him “Arvin, good news. Sydney’s mission in Italy was a success.” Sloane replies “Yes, I already knew that.” Jack responds with suspicion “Did you? ... How?” After a dramatic pause, he explains “Gordon Dean told me.”

Morning at Sydney's house. Rachel is sitting in the Living Room reading a file, when Syd comes in from outside. Gibson informs her “Marshall ran analysis on the card you retrieved.” Setting her purse down on the countertop, Sydney adds “He suspects it’s an access key for a secure network.” Rachel jokes “So we just have to figure out which network... Well, luckily there are only ten billion secure networks in the world.” Syd concedes “We may have a dead end on that side, but we intercepted Dean’s property. I’m guessing he’s not too happy about that, so...” Just then, the doorbell rings. She continues “I’ll take what I can get” then goes off to answer the front door. When she opens the door, she sees two delivery men are carrying a large cardboard box. The man on left announces “Delivery for Sydney Bristow.” Syd responds cheerily “Hey! Come on in.” She leads them in and points to her right, saying “Just put it in the nursery. It’s right through there.” As they walk past her, one of them says “Thanks.” Rachel looks at Sydney for an explanation. Noticing her expression, Syd responds “Crib.”

Inside the nursery after the delivery men have left, we see that it is empty of furnishings, other than the wall-unit shelving and some paint cans on the floor. Rachel enters the plain beige room and comments to Sydney “You know, the, uh, nursery could use a little work.” Syd looks around and jokes “I don’t know. I think it’s kind of airy.” Sydney then gets an uncomfortable expression, then she tells Gibson “I’ll grab my bag. We can head in to work.” Rachel questions her “I thought you were taking the day off.” Syd explains “I was... That was before we had ten billion secure networks to analyze” then grins and leaves the room. As she follows Sydney out, Gibson suggests “I have a better idea. First, let’s set up the crib, and then at least that way, we’ll know we got something accomplished today.” Syd grins and shakes her head, saying “It’s okay. I’ll do it later.” Rachel presses on, saying “What could it take, half an hour?” Sydney has to explain her reluctance, saying “I used to think that stuff would be so fun - decorating a room and... picking out colours.” Syd has to pause to compose herself, then sadly adds “Hasn’t turned out exactly the way I thought it would.” Rachel looks at Sydney with sadness and sympathy. Just then Syd’s cell phone rings, so she answers saying “Yeah?”

The call was for Sydney to meet with her father at the APO. Inside Jack’s office, Sloane explains his arrangement with Gordon Dean to Jack and Sydney, saying “I was first contacted about a month ago. It was during my sentencing hearings. As I told your father, the terms were simple. They offered to sway the Committee’s decision for my release... and I, in turn, would be indebted to them. It was not made clear what that would entail, but I had an idea.” Syd shakes her head with disapproval and says “You’ve been lying to us this whole time.” Arvin apologizes “There’s no justification... However, faced with spending the rest of my life in prison while my daughter was in the hospital, I...” Director Bristow interrupts “Nadia hasn’t made any improvement. Why admit this to us now? What’s changed?” Sloane sadly admits “Nadia won’t be getting better, Jack.” Jack looks over at Sydney with sympathy and sees that she is crushed by the news. Arvin explains “If I have to face a life without my daughter... I still have to live with myself.” Pausing to regain composure, he adds “It sounds hollow, I know, in light of what I just told you... but I consider you both to be my family.” With an incredulous expression, Syd asks “You expect us to forgive you now?” Shaking his head, Sloane replies “No, Sydney. Not at all.” He explains “I know how much pain Dean has caused you, as well as Rachel Gibson. I have damaged your investigation enough.” After a pause, Arvin adds “Ironically, Dean’s arrangement puts me in a unique situation. The last thing he expects of me is to double-cross him.” Syd asks hopefully “You’ll help us arrest him?” Sloane replies emphatically “Yes. He’s tasked me with recovering something you took from him - an access card. I can use that as bait.” Sydney takes a stern tone and warns him “Understand something. If this is a setup...” Sloane cuts her off and with an emphatic tone, says “It’s not, Sydney. I assure you... Once we have Dean in custody, he will be forced to expose his organization, and you will have all the answers you’re looking for.” Sydney and Jack exchange uncertain glances, then he asks “You have a way to contact Dean?” This is Jack’s conditional consent for the plan.

A short time later, Sloane telephones Dean from the APO to bait the trap. Gordon answers his phone “Hello?” Arvin explains “It’s me... I have what you wanted” and glances at Jack who is watching him with crossed arms. Dean replies “Good. I knew I could count on you.” Sloane asks “Where should we meet?” We see that Dean is standing at the balcony of his hotel suite, dressed in a robe and holding a glass as he replies “Get a pen. Write this down.”

At the planning meeting in the Briefing Room, Dixon looks at the grandstand seating chart as he announces “The meeting place is a racetrack. Dean may trust Sloane, but he’s still being cautious. He picked this location because it’s safe - several exit strategies, a large crowed to blend-in with.” Marshall jokes “That or maybe he’s got ‘Lollipop’ in the second.” Sydney points out “We’ll have to grab him before he has the chance to slip out.” Rachel explains “That won’t be easy. Dean doesn’t go anywhere without a security detail. It’ll most likely be two men - heavily armed, nearly invisible. We can assume that one will shadow Dean, the other, Sloane.” Marshall interrupts “Um, sorry. Is anybody else having déjà vu here? I mean, first Sloane was good, then he’s bad, now he’s good again? Although, I guess he was bad at first. I just thought...” Direct Bristow tires of Marshall’s babbling, so he interrupts with a loud voice “We have a significant tactical disadvantage... Dean knows what we look like. He can ID every one of us. Thomas points out “Not everyone. He’s never seen me... But I look forward to making his acquaintance.” Jack replies “Good. Tom, you’ll take lead. Dixon, Sydney, Rachel, you’ll provide support in the field. I want a plan drafted within the hour. Wheels up at 1500.” He concludes the meeting by saying “We may not have another chance like this. Let’s make it count.” As the meeting adjourns, Sydney glances at Arvin sitting in his office. The two of them exchange concerned looks across the hall.

On a black screen is the caption ‘Dubai’ (United Arab Emirates). It is daytime in the stable area of the Dubai Racetrack. Inside a surveillance van parked near the stables, Sydney gives Sloane a ticket, explaining “Dean’s reserved you a seat in the grandstand. He won’t arrive until he’s confirmed you’re alone. If we put a transmitter on you, his security countermeasures may detect it, so I’ll be tracking you remotely.” Arvin nods. Then she adds “You’ll need this” and shows him the access card that was hidden inside the teracotta statue. Sloane comments “It’s a facsimile, I assume.” Syd explains “No, it’s the real card. Dean may verify it with a reader. We’ll move in as soon as we’ve intercepted his men, but until then, you’ll have to stall.” The side door slides open and Rachel enters the van, explaining “Okay. I hacked into the closed-circuit feeds. We’re ready to go.” Sydney nods then says to Arvin “Okay, you’re up.” Before leaving, Arvin confides “Look, Sydney... I may have lost the opportunity to save my own child ... I only hope that by taking out Dean, I will have helped to save yours. Good luck.” As he leaves, Syd watches him with concern. Agent Gibson takes his seat next to Sydney and types at the laptop computer, saying “Okay...” Looking at four closed-circuit feeds onscreen, she sees Marcus dressed in a keffiyeh (Arabic headdress) & traditional Arabic clothes sitting in the lounge reading a newspaper on Camera One, Grace at the bar in Camera Two, Sloane’s grandstand seat in Camera Three, and the stairs to the grandstand in Camera Four. She reports “Dixon and Tom are in position. No sign of Dean yet.” Syd comments “He won’t reveal himself until Sloane is in place.”

Under an Arabic/English banner that says ‘Emirates Racing Association’ Sydney pushes her way through the crowded grandstand area 'disguised' as a pregnant obnoxious American lady dressed in a light blue dress with matching stole wrapped around her shoulders and wide-brimmed hat, saying in a southern accent “Excuse me. Momma coming through. Watch out. Don't jostle the package.” Thomas is standing at the bar area drinking from a silver pocket flask. Syd flashes her ticket at the usher who grins and waves her towards her seat at the dining observation area of the racetrack. As she makes her way to her seat, she smiles and says to the people near her “How y’all doin’? How y’all doin’?” Pausing to talk to a man wearing a keffiyeh (Arab headdress), she jokes “You gonna help me pick a winner today, Skinny?” Sydney points and laughs “Haha. He’s cute... for a sheik!” then takes her seat and places her purse on the small table. She looks down several rows below her to where Sloane will be seated, then points her purse at the seat. Syd press a button and then a laser microphone and camera built into the purse extends and activates. Picking up her binoculars, she watches as Sloane takes his assigned seat in the grandstand, saying to someone “Excuse me, that’s my seat.”

In Marshall’s lab at the APO, he and Director Bristow watch the transmission on his desktop computer. Marshall notifies Sydney “Okay, laser mic’s on target, Phoenix. Reception’s good.” He turns to give Jack an assuring grin. Syd sees Arvin glance at his watch nervously. From the bar, Thomas com-links “Hey, base. You got a visual?” Bringing up the image of Tom onscreen, Marshall replies “Affirmative, Sidewinder.” Grace jokes “Good, ‘cause uh, I was wondering, what do you think of this suit? Pretty sweet, huh?” Marshall replies “Yeah, it’s a nice... suit on you. Blue’s a good color.” He then turns to add “And for you as well, Director Bristow.” Jack replies without emotion “Thanks... Oracle, can you get us a closer look at Sloane?” From inside the van, Rachel zooms in on Arvin from one the racetrack’s security cameras and asks “How’s that?” Director Bristow replies “Fine.”

Sitting in the lounge area, Marcus looks at the stairs and sees Gordon Dean coming up. He com-links “The package has arrived. East Concourse.” Marshall brings up the feed and points at the screen, saying “There.” Watching Arvin with her binoculars, Syd reports “Sloane’s in position.” As Dean makes his way through the East Concourse and Dixon follows him from a distance, reporting “Sidewinder, we’re headed your way.” Grace responds “Ten-four. Let’s do this” and leaves the bar to join in the pursuit. Looking at her monitor, Rachel says with determination “We’ve got you.”

Marcus narrows the distance to Gordon. Director Bristow alerts Thomas “Sidewinder, you’re up.” In response, Tom dabs some whiskey onto his face from his flask and pretends to be a drunk in order to expose Dean's secret bodyguard. He bumps into Gordon and using an Australian accent, says “How ya doin’, mate?” Dean tries to continue on his way, but Tom walks backward to maintain the conversation and says “Well, I’m fantastic, thanks for asking. You know why? ‘The Tasmanian Devil’ (racehorse) is straight as a string. Gonna make me a rich man. The thing is, I’m short two grand. What do you say you front (finance) me, and I double it for you by dark?” Annoyed, Gordon replies tersely “Not today.” Grace persists and points at Dean’s wristwatch, complaining “Come on, mate. That watch alone would get me two grand across the card.” Walking away quickly, Gordon com-links “We need an assist here.” A moment later, Dean’s secret bodyguard, a man dressed in a grey suit grabs Thomas roughly and leads him away, saying “This way.” As they approach a sitting area, Grace pulls a taser from his pocket and shocks the man in the abdomen into unconsciousness, then sets him down into a chair. Tom com-links “First security detail down. The second one hasn’t shown. But this guy’s wearing an earpiece.” Back at the APO, Director Bristow responds “Which means Dean’s communicating with him via radio. He could be anywhere. Outrigger, until we ID the second detail, we’ll have to proceed with the meet.” Dixon replies “Copy that” and stops his pursuit.

Looking through her binoculars, Sydney sees Thomas looking at her. As she pans to the left, she sees Gordon walking towards his seat. The man that Syd called the “cute sheik” seated behind her notices that she is watching the crowd rather than the track, so he says to her “You search crowd. Someone you know?” She is surprised for a moment, then she turns to explain “Yes, I do.”

Arvin turns as he notices someone approaching. Dean greets him “Lovely day” as he takes his seat to Sloane’s right. Sloane replies “Yes, it is.” Rachel alerts Dixon “Outrigger, if Dean’s following his standard protocol, that second detail shouldn’t be any more than fifty feet away.” Marcus starts looking towards his left. In his seat, Gordon asks “Do you have something for me?” Arvin replies “I do” and takes the access card out of an engraved silver cigarette case and passes it to him. Dean smiles with satisfaction. From her seat, Syd spots the second bodyguard through her binoculars by him wearing an earpiece, so she alerts Marcus “Outrigger, I’ve got him at your 12 o’clock. Blue cap, binoculars.” Seeing the man that Sydney is talking about, Dixon replies “I’m on it.” Sydney observes Marcus walking up to the man and hears him say in an Arabic accent “Excuse me, sir. I believe you have my seat.” As the bodyguard begins to stand, Dixon tasers him on the abdomen, rendering him unconscious. The man slumps back into his seat, so Dixon exclaims “Drinks too much! Filthy habit” to the neighbouring spectators. Marcus then reports “Second security detail is down.” Jack replies “Good work” and Marshall nods.

The bell rings and the race horses leave the gate. The track announcer begins calling the positions over the public address system. The crowd rise to their feet and they cheer for their favourites. But the people are now obscuring Sloane and Dean. Director Bristow orders “Outrigger and Sidewinder, move in.” Unfortunately, the APO team only hears feedback on their com-links caused by the public address system.

Still sitting in their seats, Gordon Dean swipes the cardkey through a scanner to verify it is genuine. He turns tow Sloane and says “It’s been a pleasure.” Ready to leave, Dean com-links “Post One, what’s your status?” Marshall and Jack watch the obscured closed circuit feed helplessly. Director Bristow repeats his order “Outrigger, Sidewinder, move in.” Concerned that the first bodyguard isn’t responding, Gordon com-links “Post Two, what’s your status?” Sydney tries to com-link Rachel “Oracle, I’ve lost sight of him.” But Gibson only hears static. Dean repeats his call “Post Two, do you copy?” Jack urges “Sidewinder, come in! Outrigger, do you copy?” On their monitor, they see Marcus struggling to get a look at Dean and Sloane. Marshall speculates “Their PA system must be bleeding into our channel. I’ll try to find an open frequency” and types frantically at his computer. The team is in chaos. Syd urges “Oracle, do you copy? I’ve lost...” Gibson calls “Outrigger? Phoenix?” Director Bristow shouts “Come in. We’ve got a problem!”

Dean turns to Sloane with suspicion and demands “Stand up.” Arvin asks “Why?” Gordon explains “We’re gonna take a walk.” Sloane looks around as if seeking help. Dean pulls out a pistol from under his jacket and presses it against Arvin’s abdomen, saying “Do it now.” Reluctantly, Sloane gets up and heads for the stairs, with Dean following immediately behind him. Rachel calls out for instruction “Base? Anyone?” Tom still can’t hear anything but squawking on his com-link as he maintains his position. Jack calls out “Phoenix!” and Dixon struggles to hear through the squawking on his com-link. Gibson complains “Damn it” then gets up to go off on her own.

Dean pushes Sloane through the stable area with his gun at Arvin’s back. Sloane insists “You don’t need to do this. I’m telling you, I came here by myself.” Unconvinced, Gordon replies “Just keep going” then uses his remote control to unlock his Mercedes Benz. Realizing that Gordon is preoccupied, Arvin pivots around and knocks Dean’s pistol away. Sloane’s punch to the head gets blocked, then Dean counters with his own punch to the head, a punches to the gut of the older man, then slams Arvin’s head against a wooden fence and tosses him to the ground. Sloane valiantly gets back up to his knees, so Gordon kicks him in the stomach. Rachel calls out “Stop” which gets Dean to turn around to look at her. Gordon is amazed and says “Isn’t this a surprise. What are you doing here, Rachel?” She doesn’t respond, but glances down at his gun on the ground. Dean notices her looking at it and concludes that she wants to use it against him. He asks her “You gonna fight me? Why do you think we never put you in the field? ... Because we knew you weren’t equipped.” Gibson courageously says “Well, then... that was your loss” then attacks with a left kick to his legs. Dean blocks her kicks and punches, then counter punches her in the face. He blocks another punch and then grabs her by the back of the neck and slams her head against a wooden fence. She drops to the ground, dazed, so Dean turns to retrieve his pistol from the ground. But when he turns back, Rachel hits him across the side of the head with a shovel. With the race finished, the track announcer stops his radio interference, so Sydney is able to call as she walks from her seat “Oracle, come in. Do you have a visual?” Breathing heavily, the rookie agent replies “Yeah, actually, on... on Dean.” Confused, Syd asks “What’s he doing?” Gibson replies “Eating dirt. I just hit him with a shovel.” Sydney asks “A shovel? Is he conscious?” Looking at him, Rachel replies “Yeah, I think so.” Syd then orders “Then hit him again.” Obeying her order, Gibson bashes him again to render him unconscious.
Nighttime in Los Angeles, Gordon Dean is dressed in a prison jumpsuit, wearing shackles as he is escorted into the APO by Rachel and two guards. He glares at Syd as he walks by. Syd phones Renée to tell her “We got Dean.” Inside a restaurant at night, Rienne is using her cellphone as she replies “That’s good. What happens now?” Sydney responds “He tells us everything, and we get the truth about Prophet Five.”

Inside an interrogation room, we see that Dean is strapped to a examination chair by his hands and feet. Sydney enters the room, closes the door and then stares at him. Gordon sneers at her “You seem very pleased with yourself.” Walking up to him, Syd says in a business-like tone “I’ll keep this simple. We have a few questions for you. We want to know who you’re working for and what their agenda is. The only other question is whether you’ll cooperate willingly or unwillingly.” As she says this, Sydney removes the safety cap and shows him the syringe that she is threatening to use on him. Dean isn’t intimidated and comments “The ironic thing is, Ms. Bristow, you and I may not share the same agenda, but we have the same goal.” As he says this, Syd is drawing a dose of the drug from a vial. He continues “I want to know who I’m working for as much as you do. Unfortunately, for both of us, you robbed me of that opportunity... The access card.” Sydney explains “You were making a power play” as the reason why he had to be stopped. Gordon rationalizes “The people I answer to... their power stems from remaining anonymous. I was hoping to balance the playing field. All the information you want can be accessed off a communication hub using that card. But before I tell you the location, you have to agree to do something for me.” Syd replies skeptically “And what is that?” Dean dictates “I want ten million dollars, as well as documents to authenticate half a dozen false identities. And dental implants capable of fooling facial-recognition software. In short, you’re going to make me disappear.” Sydney shakes her head and replies “Not a chance” as if his demands were ridiculous. Gordon tells her “I wouldn’t be so hasty. That access card will expire in just under twelve hours, at which point the information will vanish and I can no longer help you, so... I suggest you talk to the people you answer to and share with them my offer.” Syd replies “I don’t need to” and reaches for the syringe. She says confidently “I don’t think it’s gonna take that long.” Dean is surprised that she is going to inject him. After Syd injects him with the drug, he begins gasping and trembling, looking at her strangely. She studies his reaction and then leaves the room.

Watching the closed-circuit feed in another room, Rachel asks “What is it?” Marshall replies “LSD... Well, sort of. See, I started with a lysergic acid diethylamide-based serum and, you know... Flinkmanized it.” He smiles with pride. Then Marshall explains “Of course, he’s not gonna see any dancing bears on this trip, I promise you that. Not that... I mean, I heard... about it from a guy once. I’ve never...” His protests are unconvincing. As Jack walks into the room, Marshall greets him “Hey, Mr. Bristow.” The director asks “How long till we can interrogate Dean?” Marshall replies “Not long. In about an hour, he’ll think you’re God. He’ll tell you anything you wanna know.” Then Marshall adds confidentially “Of course, if you’d like, I could facilitate the process” with a knowing raising of his eyebrows. Jack nods and says “Let’s do that.” Marshall turns around and types at his computer. Weird rock music by ‘Twisted Sister’ begins playing. Jack comments “I see you’ve done this before” and makes a disapproving smirk then leaves the room. Rachel looks at Marshall strangely, suspecting that Jack is correct. Marshall smiles. Gordon begins reacting to the music.

It is daytime at a pier. Arvin Sloane is standing at the railing, looking out to sea when he notices a stranger walk up beside him. Sloane looks at him with suspicion. The man named Joseph Ehrmann, looks to the sky and says innocently “Peaceful, hmm?” The man closes his eyes to bask in the sun for a few moments. Arvin replies “Yeah, it is” and returns to looking out to sea. Ehrmann comments “Hmm, I imagine you’re having quite a difficult day.” Sloane turns with a look of surprise, then the stranger continues “Am I right?” Arvin studies Joseph for a moment, then says “Excuse me. Do I know you?” Ehrmann turns to face him and replies “Nope, you don’t know me, Mr. Sloane... But I do have one small favor to ask of you... My associates and I are aware of your adventure in Dubai. We also know that Gordon Dean is still in custody, presumably at APO... We need you to eliminate him.” With a skeptical expression, Arvin asks “Eliminate him?” Joseph nods and replies “Yes, and we have every confidence that you’ll be able to overcome any obstacles that stand in your way.” Sloane stares as he replies “I see... You can go to hell. I’ve already confessed my bargain with Mr. Dean. You people no longer have any power over me.” The stranger agrees “That may be... But we do still have plenty to offer.” Arvin replies “I doubt there’s anything that you could do for me.” Sloane's cellphone rings. As if knowing what the call is about, Ehrmann tells him “Uh, you should answer that” then walks away. Sloane looks at him puzzled, then answers the call “Yeah?” His expression changes to one of surprise and he lets the phone slide away from his mouth, dumbfounded.

A short time later, Arvin rushes through the door to his daughter’s wing of National Naval Hospital and then stops to look in astonishment to find Nadia stirring in her bed. He enters the room and comments “My God” as he walks to her bedside. Sloane places his hand on Nadia’s shoulder and turns to ask Dr. Marks “What did you do?” The doctor looks up from making notes to Nadia’s chart, shaking his head as he replies “Nothing. It just happened. The nurse came through on rounds fifteen minutes ago and found her awake.” Arvin makes a “Hmm” sound, then turns to bend over to deliver a kiss. Nadia reawakens and whispers weakly “Dad?” just before he kisses her on the forehead. Sloane gently says “I’m right here, Sweetheart. I’m right here.” She asks “Where am I?” Arvin assures her “Home... You’re gonna be okay, Nadia... You’re gonna be okay.” Nadia nods slightly and then drifts back to sleep.

Back in the interrogation room, we see that Dean is reacting violently to the combination of Marshall’s LSD derivative, rock music and flashing lights, convulsing in his restraints in the examination chair. Watching his monitor in the adjoining room, Marshall notes “Well, his brain waves are all over the place, which I guess explains why his heart rate’s off the chart. Maybe Twisted Sister wasn’t the way to go.” Looking on with Sydney and Rachel, Director Bristow orders “Cut it.” Shutting off the music, Marshall comments “Right. You know, I think I gave him too much diophorazide. My bad. I mean, he is hallucinating hard. Whatever he’s seeing, it’s scaring him to death, literally.” Jack tells him “We have to stabilize his vitals. He won’t talk otherwise.” Marshall sheepishly admits “Well, no, I don’t think his body can withstand any more drugs.” Syd asks “Then what do we do?” Marshall explains “Well, not that I would know or anything, but... well, he needs to feel safe.” He then has a sheepish expression as he adds “I mean, maybe if somebody comforted him.” Jack looks over at Sydney as the one who could do it.

A short time later in the Interrogation Room, Sydney is sitting next to the hallucinating Dean. She puts her hand on his left thigh in order to revive him. She smiles and then puts her hand on Gordon’s shoulder in a comforting way. Dean turns his head in her direction and opens his eyes. His eyes widen in fear and calls out “You!” Syd replies gently “Shh. I’m not gonna hurt you. I know you’re scared. Just relax.” Gordon struggles to explain “They want me dead. They’ll kill me.” Sydney assures him “Well, that won’t happen. I won’t let it.” Switching to a comforting tone, she tells him “I’m taking care of you now.”

Watching Dean’s lifesigns on the computer, Marshall reports “Okay, his heartrate’s coming down. It’s working!”

Sydney explains to Gordon “I’m gonna ask you some questions. When you answer me, I’ll make sure no one can hurt you. Okay? No one. Do you understand?” Dean sobs “They want my eyes. Don’t let them take my eyes.” Syd assures him “No, I won’t. No one can hurt you as long as I’m here. No one... Listen, the access card... it was designed to patch into a specific network. Tell me which one.” Gordon turns away, trying to think clearly. Sydney repeats “Which network does the card access?” Dean struggles to explain “I can help you... When you see the watchman, you’ll need me. I can help you.” Syd tells him “Listen to me. You need to focus. How do I get into your organization’s network?” Syd has an expectant look, but Gordon’s gets a fearful expression and shouts “Get away from me!” She tries to calm him by saying “Shh.” Dean angrily shouts “It’s your fault! I needed to find the secret. I needed protection!” Sydney explains “I’m protecting you now. Tell me the secret. I’ll keep it safe.” He calms down, then looks away. Syd tells him “Stay with me, Gordon.” Cooperating once again, Dean says “The watchman is on the roof. You... need to go... to the roof.” Nodding, Sydney replies “Okay. Which roof? Where do I find it?” Crying and turning away, he replies “Glenheim.” Syd asks “Okay, what is Glenheim?”

Searching with his laptop computer, Marshall announces “Okay, there’s a Glenheim Corp in Seattle. The Glenheim Towers.” Director Bristow orders “Pull up the building schematics” and moment later, Marshall says “I’ll pull up the building schematics.” Looking through the schematics, he notes “Okay. There’s a satellite (dish) on the roof connected to the network of servers.” Jack then orders “Rachel, we need a plane fueled and ready to leave for Seattle within the hour.” As she gets up and leaves, Jack’s cellphone rings. He answers “Hello? ... When?” Marshall turns in curiosity.

Meanwhile, Dean sobs then cries “I shouldn’t have done it. I didn’t mean to. They insisted.” With a questioning expression, Sydney asks “You didn’t want to do what?” He explains “They insisted to k- kill Michael Vaughn.” As she looks on with interest, Gordon explains “I can help you defeat them, but you have to hurry. They have plans for you.” Syd asks “What plans?” but Dean turns away. Jack then enters the room which makes Dean react with fear. The director explains “Sydney, you need to go. I’ll take over from here.” Syd looks at Gordon, wanting him to explain what he meant, but Jack tells her why she needs to leave, saying “It’s Nadia.” Sydney turns with a surprised, questioning look for her father.

Back in Nadia’s room, Arvin strokes her head lovingly and says “You’ve never looked more beautiful, Nadia.” She awakens and asks “Sovogda?” concerned about what happened there. But Arvin replies “Shh” concerned that she isn’t well enough to know yet. Nadia presses him “What happened?” Sloane assures her “I’ll tell you about it in time. Just rest for now.” Grimacing, she calls out “Dad?” Arvin asks “What is it?” Her breathing becoming more labored, Nadia asks “Where’s the doctor?” Sloane explains “Just stepped out for a minute.” She calls out “What’s happening?” then goes into convulsions, clutching his hand. Arvin reacts in horror “Oh God...” when he sees that her eyes have turned red. Then he yells “Please, I need help here! Please! Help! I need help here! Doctor!” Dr. Marks and a nurse rush into the room. The doctor instructs the nurse “Help me hold her down.” then turns to say “I need you to step back, Mr. Sloane.” Arvin cries “Nadia! Please!” in despair. The doctor announces “Blood pressure 170 over 50. I need 500 milligrams of Detropine I.V.”

Minutes later, Sloane is looking at Nadia with despair as Dr. Marks is finishing sedating her through her I,V, drip. He turns towards the hall window at hearing Sydney arriving. Syd looks heartbroken at seeing that her sister has relapsed. She looks downward after Nadia lapses into another drug induced coma.

It is now nighttime out in the corridor outside of Nadia’s room where Dr. Marks explains to Arvin and Sydney “We were forced to induce coma again. Look, I’ll be honest. Waking up without any signs of her disease was, frankly, a fluke.” Sloane looks disappointed and Syd notices, then resumes looking at the doctor as he continues “Without an explanation, it’s likely this is never gonna happen again... Of course, we’ll watch her closely.” Arvin looks too heartbroken to reply, so Syd says “Thank you doctor” for the both of them. After Dr. Marks leaves, Sydney looks at Sloane with sympathy for a few moments, then consoles him “You’ve done everything you can for her... Beyond that, it’s out of your control.” Arvin replies “Thank you, Sydney.” She gives a slight nod, then leaves. Sloane turns with an expression showing that he knows that he must do as the man from Prophet-5 requested even though he doesn’t want to.

On a black screen is the caption ‘Seattle.’ Nighttime in the skies over Seattle, Washington, a black helicopter equipped with noise suppression hovers over Glenheim Towers as Dixon and Grace dressed in black tactical uniforms, descend by wire onto the rooftop. Marcus reports by com-link “This is Outrigger. We’ve touched down.” as the detach their safety harnesses. Back in his lab, Marshall replies “Copy that.” As Sydney enters the room to join her father and Rachel looking at Marshall’s computer, Jack says “I heard. Are you okay?” Syd replies unconvincingly “Yeah.” Then he asks “How’s Sloane?” Shaking her head, she says “Not well.”

On the rooftop, Thomas opens the access hatch to the Glenheim Towers building and then leads the way by sliding down the ladder. Dixon quickly follows by taking two steps at a time. They descend a second ladder the same way and then approach an electrical panel. Grace reaches into pack and hands Marcus a small cutting torch.

Jack informs Syd “We figured out what Dean was talking about. The network his organization’s using is mobile.” Not understanding the significance, she asks “Meaning?” Gibson explains “Their communications are piggy-backed through a series of telecom satellites. The Glenheim people don’t know they’re being used, which is exactly the point.” Sydney nods, so Rachel continues “They wouldn’t know the network was there unless they were looking for it.” Director Bristow adds “Further, the network is rerouted every few days as a precautionary measure. If we lose them now, we won’t find them again.” Syd then asks “How much time do we have?” Checking the time, Gibson replies “Twelve minutes, fifty-eight seconds.” With a concerned look, Marshall com-links “Sidewinder, what’s your status?”

Thomas replies “We’re at the dish. We’re cutting through now” as Dixon works at cutting the door of the satellite dish electrical panel with the mini torch. Marshall replies “Great. When you open up the panel, let me know what you’re looking at.” Marcus finishes and lets the door drop to the floor. Seeing a numeric display, he reports “I’m looking at a keypad and an LCD readout.” Marshall replies “Okay, um, any access ports?” As Grace hands him an uplinking device, Dixon replies “Affirmative” and then plus it into the access port. He announces “Uplink should be coming your way.” Marshall’s computer displays ‘Acquiring Node Data’ as the binary data downloads, so he notifies everyone “Got it.” Sydney asks “Marshall, what are we looking at?” Working on analyzing the data, he replies with a puzzled expression “Not sure. It looks like the network’s not tracking back to just one source.” With a concerned look, Director Bristow asks “Meaning?” Marshall explains “Meaning when I try to locate the origin, several addresses keep popping up. I mean, it looks like the information’s being fed by a number... Wait a minute. That is weird... One of the nodes streams to Credit Marquis!” Not understanding the significance of that name, Rachel asks “What’s that?” Jack explains “Public front for French Intelligence.” Pointing at the screen, Marshall adds in amazement “That’s not all. I mean, there’s a stream back to Russian SVR (Sluzhba Vneshney Razvedki - Russia’s Foreign Intelligence Service), a European pharmaceutical conglomerate, the CDC (Centers for Disease Control), MI-6... This list goes on!” Director Bristow asks “So they’re hijacking government servers?” Shaking his head in disagreement, Marshall replies “No, if that were the case, I’d be able to detect it. I mean, this suggests...” Turning to look at Jack, he says ominously “They are government.” Director Bristow looks very concerned. Syd adds “Dad? Gordon Dean didn’t bribe someone on the inside to get Sloane out of jail. His organization is already on the inside.” Quickly assessing a plan of action, Jack asks “Marshall, can you trace those nodes?” With a worried expression, he replies “Yeah, let me see what I can do” and types at the computer.

Sloane walks the corridor of the APO checking his watch. As the bank of surveillance monitors shut down, a security technician comments “Right on time. Network diagnostic is up and running.” As Arvin walks past a now non-operative security camera, the technician tells his colleague “You got two minutes to grab that coffee. Oh, and get me a cup too? A little cream?” Sloane uses his access card to get into the room holding Gordon Dean. Still strapped to the chair, Dean calls out “Arvin” after he enters. Sloane announces “For the next minute and a half, no one knows I’m here.” Thinking that Arvin is there to free him, Gordon replies “Good. Get me out of these.” After bending down to check the restraints, Sloane announces “That isn’t exactly what I had in mind.” Dean has a concerned look as Arvin gets up close to him.

As Marshall works on his laptop, he announces “Okay, I’ve narrowed the network down to twelve isolated nodes. I think I can trace their point of origin.” Thinking aloud, Rachel says “Twelve?” Marshall replies “Yeah.” The young agent recalls “If there was never a one, there was ever the Twelve.” Sydney looks at her with concern. Agent Gibson explains “In the Caymans, that was one of Dean’s account protocols.” Marshall’s computer begins beeping, so he groans in exasperation “Oh.” Syd asks “What just happened?” With a frustrated tone, he explains “We’re locked out. Let me try to bypass the encryption.” As he attempts to that, a window pops up on Marshall’s screen and beeps in warning with the announcement ‘Grade 3 Watchman Encryption. Requesting Access Code.’ Marshall groans “Oh, no”, so Director Bristow asks “What is it?” He explains “‘Grade Three Watchman Encryption.’ There’s no way around this in six minutes.” Rachel comments “The program’s requesting an access code.” Sydney recalls “Dean mentioned ‘Watchman.’ He said when I find the watchman, he would help me.” Sydney’s eyes light up and explains “This is what he meant. He has the access code.” Jack agrees and orders “Go.” Syd leaves to go to get him.

In his room, Gordon pleads “Don’t do this, Arvin. I have the access code!” Sloane grabs Dean by the back of the neck and reaches into his pocket. Gordon cries out “You can take down Prophet Five!” Holding his head back, Sloane forces a pill into Dean’s mouth, saying “God forgive me.” Sydney is on her way to the Interrogation Room. Gordon struggles as Arvin holds his hand over his mouth to prevent him from spitting out the pill. Satisfied that the pill has been ingested, Sloane releases his hand and steps back. Dean screams “Help! Somebody, please!” Arvin explains “These walls are soundproof. There’s no point in shouting.” He opens a small switchblade knife and looks menacingly at Gordon.

Sydney rounds the corridor and opens the door of the Interrogation Room. Entering the room, she is astounded to see Dean slumped over in the chair, dead. There is a trace of blood on his lip. Syd looks disappointed that they’ve lost the chance to get to Prophet-5.

Later in his office, Director Bristow pours Sydney a glass of water from a pitcher and tells her “According to medical services, Dean took his own life. Apparently with a cyanide pill he had subdermally implanted inside his cheek.” He sits next to her on the couch and hands her the glass. Syd is puzzled, saying “I don’t understand. This morning he wanted immunity. He wanted to live[/].” As she drinks the water, Jack speculates “Clearly, Dean thrived on power. Once the drug wore off, he must’ve realized he was facing a life sentence... Death was easier to accept.” Sydney then mentions “Marshall counted twelve sources that make up Prophet Five. Twelve, Dad. It’s like The Alliance all over again.” Jack nods slightly in agreement, saying “I know.” Syd says pessimistically “If they are embedded inside global government, where do we even start?” Her father assures her “We’ve already started.” Sydney pauses to contemplate that for a moment, then says wearily “I guess I’ll see you tomorrow.” She gives him a weak grin, which he returns in kind. Syd is about to leave, then hesitates to ask “Do you have any plans for tonight?” Jack smiles warmly and asks “What did you have in mind?”

Inside a limousine at night, the Prophet Five man from the dock, Joseph Ehrmann, pours a glass of liquor from a decanter and invites Kelly Peyton to join him in a drink, saying “You’re sure you won’t join me? We can drink to your success.” As she accepts the glass, he adds “Or, perhaps, if you like ... to soothe your guilt” and pours a glass for himself. Peyton lets out a slight chuckle, then comments “Guilt isn’t one of my driving emotions.” Ehrmann raises his glass in toast and replies “To your success, then.” After she grins, the Prophet-5 representative continues “As we agreed, Dean’s operation is now yours. But with one warning ... I appreciate ambition, but if you’re considering any further betrayals, they will come at your own expense.” Kelly replies solemnly “I understand.” They clink their glasses and then sip their liquor. The limo comes to a stop a short distance in front of a car waiting at a dock, so then Ehrmann excuses himself, saying “I’ll be right back.” He exits the car and meets Arvin Sloane at the front of their vehicles, greeting him “A job well done, Mr. Sloane. I’m so glad you took our offer.” Sloane coldly replies “I didn’t have much of a choice, did I?” After a slight pause, the Prophet-5 man responds “There’s always a choice.” Arvin says softly “Yeah” and looks away with regret. Then he asks “My daughter? When will she be cured?” Ehrmann tersely replies “Soon.” Sloane can scarcely hide his displeasure as he responds sarcastically “Soon? Perhaps you could be a bit more specific.” The man tells him “I wish I could. But there are a few more things we need you to do first.” Arvin insists “We have a deal.” With an equally assertive tone, Ehrmann counters “No. We have an arrangement, which you don’t seem to understand very well.” Sloane shakes his head in disbelief at Prophet-5's misrepresentation of their deal and curses “You son of a b*tch.” Ehrmann says “We’ll be in touch. Till then, I want you to remember one thing... You have something now that you didn’t have this morning.” Arvin replies “What’s that?” The Prophet-5 man explains “Hope” and nods. He turns and walks back to his limousine. Sloane glares at him. The chauffeur starts the engine just before Ehrmann gets into the car, then backs up and drives away.

Nighttime in the living room of Sydney’s house, Elton John’s ‘Your Song’ plays in the background as we see Jack is assembling the baby's crib near the warmth of the fireplace, announcing with satisfaction “Okay, that’s the headboard.” Looking up from the instruction book, Syd notes “That’s the... footboard.” He nods and claims “Mm-hmm. That’s what I said” and walks over to work on the other end of the crib. Pausing for a moment, Sydney asks “Have you ever actually built anything before?” Looking up, her father replies in an annoyed tone “Yes, in fact. I built your crib.” Syd finds that surprising, saying “Really?” As he tightens the screws, Jack then admits “Well, your mother and I did it together.” She chuckles quietly. Reaching over for the mattress, he places it into the crib and announces with a touch of triumph “Done.” Sydney seems sceptical as she replies “Done?” Taking insult at her doubtful tone, Jack responds “Mm-hmm. Why? Did you doubt me?” Closing the booklet, Syd replies innocently “No... Of course not” with a smirk and gets up to help push it. Her father gives a grin and they wheel it towards the nursery. But at the doorway, Jack is annoyed to find that it won't fit through. Sydney smiles and then suppresses it, knowing how her father’s pride is. He asks her “Get me the screwdriver” so he can take it apart. Syd nods, then turns to get it and giggles.

END

Back