Differences Between Guilds and Clans

Seeria

Cadet
Just a thought... maybe put up a sticky that contains the rough definitions we know from the GMs so far as two what a guild, clan, and house are? Might help clear up all the guild posts. (Traditional idea of guilds being clan size, guilds being alliances, and houses being one of the three factions.)

Clans are the first level of "continual grouping", if you want to think of it in that way... somewhat similar to other MMO's guilds except that the name of the clan you join, becomes your last name. A clan is just what the name implies, your "family", of sorts. Who can join a clan? Individual players.

Guilds are more similar to alliances (such as those found in DAoC), yet again, they are different. Guilds are meant to be true guilds, accepting whole families (clans), or single individuals as members. If a you belong to a clan, and the leader of that clan, makes the clan as a whole join a guild, you then are part of that guild, and in order not to be associated with that guild, you must leave your clan.

Great Houses are the three factions: Kinnaes, Arcanum & Gear. At this time it is not understood if any one person or guild will control a great house, however, members of the Great Houses are made up of guilds. The three factions, or Great Houses, thus strive to control the Triumvirate. The Triumvirate oversees everything, as a ruling body of sorts, as I understand it.

Thus it is my understanding, as told to some of us by Simu staff, that clans will align with guilds which align with the three factions, or Great Houses, which then fight to control the majority of the seats of power on the Triumvirate (think ruling council). It also has not been made clear, but it's been suggested that whichever Great House occupies the majority of the Triumvirate will thus establish bonuses for any players aligned with said faction/Great House. This was possibly suggested by other players, or hinted at by GM's, I do not recall... so take it as it is given, a possibility and in no way fact.

Clans names will be your last name, Guilds will be displayed in some form as a title, and not sure if your faction/Great House is also displayed.

Hope that helps...

~ Jaraeth

Aw, it turns the clan name into your surname? That's kind of lame... I mean, of the three characters I've dreamed up, that might work for one... :(

I wonder if there will be a way around that or not. I mean, just... :(

A sticky of a sort could be helpful, but I think its too hard. I totally agree with Jaraeth and his explanations. But of course, different people will have their different opinions.

On the same note....

How many of you have participated in things such as clans in your MMOs?
For me, my clan has always fromed from people I knew within a guild. Possibly a regular group, or maybe just a few friends.

Does that still count as a Clan?

Kuzzle said:
Aw, it turns the clan name into your surname? That's kind of lame... I mean, of the three characters I've dreamed up, that might work for one... :(

I wonder if there will be a way around that or not. I mean, just... :(
Possibly a one-man clan? Its basically a family name so if you're an orphan (and goodness knows there's lots of RP orphans out there) you could still participate in the guild/faction structure.

Well, not an orphan, but someone from a specific culture that thrives on the plains. Assuming there are plains, anyway... :( Well, I could just pretend that it's so far away, you can't get there. Anyway, yeah, that's what's got me concerned. I mean, a one-man clan might be ok, but it wouldn't really serve the whole "reason for a clan" thing, would it? Well, not the adventuring group-type reason, anyway.

Well, I got the impression that the clans or families would in function be more like a RP tool to allow shared last names or for those not into RP as a glorified buddy list or short-list of preferred groupmates. The true politics and the like would start at the guild level and up. At least that was my impression based on past knowledge of Simu.

Evran said:
Well, I got the impression that the clans or families would in function be more like a RP tool to allow shared last names or for those not into RP as a glorified buddy list or short-list of preferred groupmates. The true politics and the like would start at the guild level and up. At least that was my impression based on past knowledge of Simu.

I think you've got it fairly good there Evran. Clan's are, I am guessing, more along the lines of your close friends who agree to group and share last names. I'm thinking of making my one guild into an HJ clan ("The Peacebringers", ie: names of "Peacebringer"), and making another into a guild (Runs with Scissors, crafters & helpers of all types... prepared with their trusty shears to cut cloth or jab an enemy in the eye).

I'm hoping to dredge up as much info on guilds, clans and great houses as possible ;) Lots of question about 'em running through my mind.

~ Jaraeth

PS: I stickied the thread as requested, good idea :smiley:

Being a Scot, I rather like the idea our little band of friends will all have the same last name.

Would be nice if they let us have middle names, too.

Back