Discipline and Pwnage

Pietoro

Cadet
Terra Nova's blog had another interesting post today. About raiding guilds and their effect on their member's playing abilities outside of that discipline, and also of how games supported (or not) that kind of play structure.

After reading the article, what are your opinions on that Priest gal, her experiences, and the overall idea behind the article? Do you think a raiding guild member normally gets so regimented that their ability to adapt and play freely is affected? Do you have any personal experiences about that kind of thing?

Interesting indeed! A bit insightful since I'm not really a raider at all. I've done it, even lead a couple way back in EQ1. But it was always WAY more laid back than what I've seen from other folks.
Not a fan of raids or raid systems tho'. At all.

It makes sense that 'Priest gal' or anyone would become a zombie if they exclusively participated the same raid over and over, unable to effectively group or raid anywhere but where they were conditioned to raid.
I have been on a few hard core raids. My guild in WoW - Emerald Dream (rppvp), Frostwolves, was one of the highest ranked horde guilds while I was there. There were daily raids and the DKP (dragon kill points) system was used to give the players who participated the most a fair choice of loot drops... I was mostly into PvP, but I ran Molten Core a few times with them. I remember the first time just trying not to look like a complete n00b. After about a week of raiding, it was second nature... but it was also boring. I decided I would rather have fun than go through this for purpley gear.
My raiding experiences prior to that go back to DAoC... RvR raids, which probably don't apply here, and 'Darkness Falls - Prince' raids. Those were fun for awhile, but much less structured than WoW has become.

I'm only recently getting into WoW. I've got a lvl 21 Warrior and I'm really starting to enjoy the game. But people are very hostile about how I play my character since I refuse to spec into any tanking or tank period, regardless of raiding. And luckily, I found a guild where everyone plays their character however they wish. Everyone keeps telling me, "Get swords, not axes." "Don't go fury. Go arms and buy a 2 hander if you want to pvp with us." "If you want to DPS, then roll a rogue, noob!" I pity those kind of people that have no desire for cc.

That was a very interesting read. Having played as a feral druid myself in a small guild, I didn't have much experience with raiding. Though on occasion I would get invited to a raid, provided I brought all my healing gear along and did precisely what they told me to do.

But the arcticle definitely raises points I can agree with and a few that I actually observed in action.

i can healbot the ---- out of MC too, but i can also adapt to new situations rather easily and really enjoy it. i get bored as hell in raids, especially ones i have raided to death but i do it because i LOVE the teamwork needed to succeed. and the purples are nice too

I'm only recently getting into WoW. I've got a lvl 21 Warrior and I'm really starting to enjoy the game. But people are very hostile about how I play my character since I refuse to spec into any tanking or tank period, regardless of raiding. And luckily, I found a guild where everyone plays their character however they wish. Everyone keeps telling me, "Get swords, not axes." "Don't go fury. Go arms and buy a 2 hander if you want to pvp with us." "If you want to DPS, then roll a rogue, noob!" I pity those kind of people that have no desire for cc.

So many of those people are dolts who read others' opinions on a class/strat and just parrot it over and over as gospel without any actual understanding of the capabilities of the class. They tend to be not worth being around.

i think what he is saying is too many people are telling him to use the cookie cutter template for his toon and he just wants to play his toon the way he wants to. and this guild lets him play his warrior his way. so if he wants to show up in a skirt with a bunch of flowers he can.

That was an excellent article, thank you very much for referring me to it.

I was in WoW from day one. I actually was at the Fry's Electronics in Orange County at 12am when the game was released. I still have photos of the line going around Frys....twice.

I played WoW for 10 months, and by the end of my experience (a positive experience for the most part), I became acutely aware that the WoW I had played to level 60 had changed into a purely raiding experience. Like the article said, if you knew your role, you would do well in raids. But it was the getting to the raiding level that really taught me how to think on my feet (I was a mage).

I remember those who powered through the levels so they could raid too, and most were not enjoyable to party with.

This is why I have hope for HJ. I want that sense of thinking on my feet. I was lucky enough to play a mage in the LotRO stress test this last weekend, and I had a wonderful sense of WoW partying nostalgia. I again felt that sense of adapting to the situation, and I believe the reason is because there is overlap in the character classes and the functions they can perform. I hope HJ is able to accomplish this feat as well.

Back