Science Discovery News Facebook Newsfeed

Tom

An Old Friend
I started following Discovery News on Facebook a few years ago. Back when I could tolerate the cable science and history channels. Last night while scanning the feeds I noticed that Discovery News has really gotten stupid. The featured feeds are slanted to a 5 year old's mentality and the subject matter is chosen to illicit "Likes" from a population of Facebook idiots. Their feed headlines are written in a way to illicit fear and anxiety or pet peoples egos.
Discovery News is to Science as SYFY is to Science Fiction.

The post that really set me off was "What if there was no Moon?"
I watched the video thinking it would be filled with scientific speculation and found it immature and incomplete.
Not sure how to link you to Facebook
Discovery News | Facebook

With this enlightenment I looked at more of my newsfeeds on facebook.
My NASA related feeds are still intelligent but most of the feeds related to documentary shows are dumbed down and nonsense.

Sites that should be teaching and telling about REAL SCIENCE are now pandering to the generation that thinks the Simpsons and Family Guy are intelligent.
Insultingly Stupid!

/end rant

Sites that should be teaching and telling about REAL SCIENCE are now pandering to the generation that thinks the Simpsons and Family Guy are intelligent.
Insultingly Stupid!

/end rant
Tom - what's real science to you?

Science to me is about imagining the possibilities and then testing for them. It's about analytically pursuing what you want to be true to discover it is. It's about slapping the old farts around who think they they uniquely have the universe figured out and saying to them 'you dont know jack felgercarb' and showing them another way to do and look at the world.

Have you considered the characters in Family Guy and the Simpsons are alive, living in a world where physics and science quite literally have a whole different meaning that has yet to be quantified?

While you judge the pursuit of possibilities of these alternate universes, I personally think you have a lesson to learn in underestimating that the next generation has made a choice not to inherit just the felgercarb being handed to them, but to inherit all the other possibilities as well.

You're a great man and I enjoy our chats.

But this inheritance is coming whether 'more experienced' people like you think it's silly, stupid, or not.

Perhaps you have something to learn from why these choices are being made?

And the very necessary rational reasons behind the appeal of consensus reality and consensus science through externalized methods such as Facebook, Twitter, and the like.

Want to see some science which will blow you away?

Watch Jimmy Neutron and Futurama.

I await your definition of 'real science'.

The Discovery Channel lost their way some years back when realized that "reality" shows were cheaper to make & got better ratings than actual science related shows. What they did to TLC (The Learning Channel), Science Channel, and Discovery Channel was a bit of a travesty.

Back