Disney buying Lucasfilm, prepping new 'Star Wars' movie for 2015

Not entirely made by Lucas = not a SW movie to me. :smiley: I wish it is good, but it won't be, imo.
Don't forget though that The Empire Strikes Back was actually directed by Irvin Kershner and, for some fans, is considered the best movie of the original trilogy. Lucas served as producer & wrote the original story treatment but it was Kershner who brought it to life.

More news to be filtering down is that the standalone movies that have been rumoured over the last few months are definitely happening and have been confirmed by Disney President, Bob Iger. There's nothing concrete as of yet but there are mutterings that Yoda, Young Han Solo and/or Boba Fett are set to get their own movies outside of the main Episode VII-IX arc. Also confirmed is that screenwriters Simon Kinberg and Lawrence Kasdan are in charge of developing these projects.

News for Episode VII is that Mark Hamil has confirmed that he and several of the original cast have been asked about their interest in reprising their roles (and Lucas promising that if they weren't interested, the roles WOULDN'T be recast, but would simply be written out of the script). This gives some weight to the rumours that the new films will focus on the offspring of Luke Skywalker and co.

Hamill has stated that no contracts have been signed of yet, so it's not completely official, but let's be honest, who wouldn't want to go back?? Even Harrison Ford has publically expressed interest in bringing Han back one more time!

More news to be filtering down is that the standalone movies that have been rumoured over the last few months are definitely happening and have been confirmed by Disney President, Bob Iger.
I had not heard too much about those! Some classic character based side-movies would be pretty cool to fill in the gaps between the existing movies.

This gives some weight to the rumours that the new films will focus on the offspring of Luke Skywalker and co.
From what I understand movie VII is being based on source material from SW novels that pit the Skywalker kids against the Solo kids as, between them, not all choose the good side.

I'll be satisfied as long as we don't get a Yoda, Boba Fett, Young Han Solo, or Young Darth Sidious movie. As for the original stars coming back, I don't think it's worth it. Part of why Indiana Jones 4 tanked (Other than the horrible, horrible script) was that Harrison ford is an old guy now. He can't be the Indy we all know and love.

I'll be satisfied as long as we don't get a Yoda, Boba Fett, Young Han Solo, or Young Darth Sidious movie.
With Yoda it wouldn't be too hard to do a 'side-movie' that fills in the gaps, since he is now entirely CGI generated, but movies with actors playing the younger versions of established charters is not something I'd be interested in either.

With Boba Fett, you don't think they could take him back to the original trilogy days, where he was always in his armor & never showed his face, and work on a movie with that character?

I think Boba Fett as a standalone movie faces 2 problems. The first problem is what I call the 'Spiderman effect.'
If you watched The Amazing Spiderman you've seen it in action. He couldn't keep his damn mask on. This happens for a number of reasons, but two of the main ones are: 1 - Actors don't like to cover their faces; and 2 - It's hard to empathise with a mask.

The Boba Fett helmet is completely non-expressive, so naturally, at every opportunity, his helmet would be removed. This detracts significantly from the mystery of the character.

The second problem is the Boba Fett mythology. It's scope exceeds the value of the character. Some how, (and I have no idea how) a silent background character grew to a status greater than any of the main characters. Now, I've never read any of the EU novels, comics etc, nor have I watched any of the TV shows. So my complete exposure to the character has been the movies, and the massive hyperbole that he's subjected to on the internet.

He's escaped from multiple sarlac pits, he's the baddest dude in the galaxy, he's immune to the force and he flies his own death star.

Even the prequel movies don't seem to have diminished the mythology. Even though now, all I see when I look at him is that ridiculous Kiwi kid.

The character is popular, not because he is an in depth character, but exactly the opposite. He's a complete NON-character. Literally any personality can be given to him, depending on what circumstance dictates. But, the Boba Fett fans, who are the ones this movie would be made for, are fanatical about his EU adventures. And those adventures, are too big for a cohesive movie.

To make this movie would not only cheapen a character that the fans love, it would take a character that non-fans have basically no attachment to and try to build him up to the point of space Hercules. Combine that with the attitude that many people have: The original trilogy are the only REAL star wars movies - and you have something that won't grow the universe, and will in all likelihood, desecrate a beloved non-character.

Back