Disney to ban ads for junk food aimed at kids

The Walt Disney Company, in joint announcement with US First Lady Michelle Obama, has announced that they will no longer carry advertisements for 'junk food' on any of its kids oriented properties.

mickey-mouse-club.top.jpg
Walt Disney Co. says it will set nutritional standards for the food advertisements on its networks aimed at children.​
CEO Robert Iger announced the new policy at an appearance with First Lady Michelle Obama in Washington. The policy will apply to Disney​
Channel, Disney XD, Disney Junior, Radio Disney, and Disney-owned online sites oriented to families, effective by 2015.​
"Parents tell us they need our support and we're listening," said Iger. "And as it turns out, doing the right thing for kids just happens to be a smart strategy for the Walt Disney Company and for its businesses - opening up new markets for us and building on our relationships with families."​
The policy will not apply to ads on adult-targeted Disney networks, such as the various ESPN sports networks or ABC's prime-time programming, which are the major profit driver at the media conglomerate.​
Michelle Obama has been leading a national campaign for healthier diets. Her push includes new school lunch guidelines and a physical exercise program called "Let's Move" aimed at reducing childhood obesity.​

Source: CNN.com

I'm all for companies making such decisions on their own free of government interference. I only wonder if the ban applies to all-sugar morning cereals and "juice drinks" as well as McDonalds.

I'm all for companies making such decisions on their own free of government interference. I only wonder if the ban applies to all-sugar morning cereals and "juice drinks" as well as McDonalds.
As long as their specified standards are applied across the board then I'd think that the juice drinks & McDonald's would apply also. It'll be interesting to see how long they keep the policy in place before advertisers start offering them a ton of cash to start allowing exceptions.

Back