Disruptor weapons

Squaith

Cadet
How do they work? Or am I thinking about disintegrator weapons?
I could not find anything definitive on Google. It can be Star Trek tech or not.
My very thin understanding is that they weaken the forces that hold atoms together and the atoms fall apart.
If so, there would be no explosion because there was no fission.
But perhaps the atoms would give off heat, giving up energy. Either way, if you disruptor'd a steak what would be left? Nothing?
The electrons fly off? Can they form a current?
Then you have nuclei doing what? If they break down, isn't that radiation?
Any info, opinions, or pointers to good web info appreciated.

How do they work? Or am I thinking about disintegrator weapons?
I could not find anything definitive on Google. It can be Star Trek tech or not.
My very thin understanding is that they weaken the forces that hold atoms together and the atoms fall apart.
If so, there would be no explosion because there was no fission.
But perhaps the atoms would give off heat, giving up energy. Either way, if you disruptor'd a steak what would be left? Nothing?
The electrons fly off? Can they form a current?
Then you have nuclei doing what? If they break down, isn't that radiation?
Any info, opinions, or pointers to good web info appreciated.
If you are referring to the weapon used on Star Trek, it was featured on The Most Toys episode, and yes it is one bad mamma-jamma. Those tv-movie weapons are banned from star fleet, there was one episode of STNG where Data came across a collector who had a one. He was so arrogant and very pushy it aggravated Data so much that the ending of that episode had Data actually discharging a weapon in transport in the bad guys direction. Dang good episode, As for your question, stick with your toy phasers and Star fleet police will leave you be.;)

Back