Distant

Alias

Cadet
This takes place right after episode 10: The Aubduction

Distant

Chapter 1
~~~~~~~

THrough all the loud, banging music, through all the laughter and talking, she herd her cell phone ring. She reluctantly stopped dancing and made her way to her purse, weaving through the people. She grabbed her viberating phone and headed to her room. She closed the door, making the music and laughter muffled. She looked at the call ID, Vaughn. "Hello?" She asked, answering her phone.
"Syd, I'm sorry to call you this late." Vaughn appoligized. But he had that tome in his voice, that something was really wron and he didn't want to tell her.
"It's okay." Sydney assured him. "So what's up?"
Vaughn sighed. "We didn't get Marshall at the intercept point."
Sydney was silent, with no words to say. Thoughts were zipping through her head, mixing up her orginized thoughts, questions, and emotions. "What do you mean? What happened?" COncern filled her voice.
"We don't know who, but someone else intercepted Marshall on his way home before we did." Vaughn replied with his calm but worried voice. "Thought you should know."
Sydney took a deep breath. "Did you use the tracking device on his luggage?"
"Yes, but it didn't help. They didn't take any luggage, only Marshall." Vaughn explained.
"Did anyone talk to my mother yet?" Sydney asked. She had a feeling that her mom might have some idea about who did this.
"Yes, your father is right now. I'll let you know as soon as he's back and I'll tell you whatever he got." vaughn said. "Your father said that Sloane doesn't know about this yet."
"He will, he'll find out by tomorrow morning." Sydney said, worried. This was a problem. As if enough things weren't already. Her mom turning herself into the CIA, Sark joining SD-6 and now this. It must all connect somehow. "Let me know as soon as you get anything."
"I will." Vaughn replied.
"Alright, I'll see you tomorrow." Sydney said and hung up. SHe sat on her bed a minute, digesting the news that she had just herd. She didn't want to know who kidnapped Marshall, afraid that she might know what they'll do to him. But she wanted to know so that she could find them and kick their asses.
Sydney sighed as she got up to return to the party.

Irina herd the faint sound of shoes slapping against the concreit floor. The sound of the gates slowly opening and closing echoed in the hall. She waited for the visitor, wondering what they wanted from her this time. Wondering who it was this time. Sydney? Jack? Kendall? Or perhaps Agent Vaughn? He amused her.
The footsteps had stopped, the gates were closed. There was silence. She felt eyes baring down on her, waiting for her to turn around. She did, slowly, to find Jack standing there, glaring at her.
She stood up and walked over to meet him. Wanting an answer to her curiousity. She slightly smiled at him, and he just started at her with his never changing stone face.
"One of our SD-6 assests, has been kidnapped on his way home from the airport after getting back from a mission with Sydney." Jack explained, breaking the silence. Irina already knew what he wanted, but she let him continue. "His name is Marshall Flankman. He's the technician for SD-6. Do you have any idea as to who could have kidnapped him and why?"
Irina was silent for a while, having a debate in her head. Jack watched her as the battle continused in her mind. She finally looked back up at him. "No, I don't. I was trying to remember anything, any clue or hint that could've led to this. But I don't know."
They stared at eachother through the glass, once again in silence. Irina watched and waited, wondering what thoughts were streaming through Jack's head. "Is there anyone that you suggest we go after? Anyone who you think we should watch?" Jack's question took Irina by surprise.
"You would trust my opinion?" Irina asked, surprise showing in her voice.
"No. But we would take them into consideration." Jack replied coldly. "Why else would I be here?"
Irina was silent agian, having another debate in her mind. "I suggest you keep an eye on Sark. I don't know what his plan is, but he's the only one I can think of that could've done it."
Jack starred at her for a while longer. Thinking about her response. Then he turned and walked back down the hallway. Irina watched him leave, with a small smile on her face.

"Your father just got back from seeing your mother." Vaughn reported to Sydney, who was leaning against a fence.
"And?" Sydney asked, waiting to hear what information her mother provided.
"Your mother doesn't know who kidnapped Marshall. But she did suggest taht we keep an eye on Sark." Vaughn explained.
"We're doing that in the first place!" Sydney told him. Vaughn nodded. "As much as I suspect him having a plan, I don't think he'd take the risk of doing that."
"Maybe he's usuing the excuse of his partnership with Sloane to hide behind. So that Sloane wouldn't suspect him." Vaughn suggested.
Sydney shook her head. "No, I don't think so. Sark go in a lot of trouble for not recieving the last Rambaldi artifact for Sloane. Sloane is still suspicious of him, he doesn't fully trust Sark. And Sark wouldn't be dumb enough to pull something like this."
"Despite that, your mother knows Sark better than any of us. " Vaughn said, putting his hands in his pockets. "If she says to watch him, I think we should."
Sydney thought a minute, then sighed. "Your probably right." She pushed herself from the fence. "I have to head over to SD-6. I"m sure Sloane's noticed Marshall being gone. So I'm going to have to put up wtih that."
Vaughn nodded as he watched Sydney pick up her jacket that was on a crate. "By the way, "Sydney started. "how did Will do on his test?"
"He did really well." Vaughn smiled and so did Sydney. "I think it gave Devlin a bit of shock."
"I'm sure he'll be glad to hear that." Sydney replied. "This has meant a lot to him. Thanks for doing this."
Vaughn gave her his little smile. "You're welcome." Sydney just gave him a little smile and turned to leave. Which was odd because she usually said something like, I'll see you tomorrow or I'll wait to hear from you. But she didn't, and it worried him. "Syd?" Sydney stopped and turned aroung, a look of curiousity on her face. Vaughn walked closer to her with concern written on his face. "Are you okay? I mean, is something bothering you, or on yourmind?"
Sydney had a look like she had been caught. But it quickly disapeared and it was replaced by a confused expression. She shook her head. "No, why?"
"Well, you've been really distant lately. So I was just wondering is everything was alright." Vaughn explained. He still looked worried, like he didn't believe her.
Sydney flashed him a smile. "I"m fine. Thanks for asking." Vaughn nodded and watched her walk away."

She hated lying to him. But she couldn't tell him why she had been so distant. If she did it would make things awkward, uncomfortable, it would ruin what relationship they had. Or would it? WOuld it make things better? She didn't know, but she couldn't tell him her reason, not yet.
The whole drive to Credit Dauphine she was thinking about him. Which she hated becaues she couldn't have him. Well, she couldn't before anyway, but now her chances were completely gone.
She didn't let him explain because she knew that she would've broken down. And it made the pain that she couldn't have him anyway because of protocol hurt more. But what he had said about his fathers watch, it completely confused her. How could he say something like that to her when he had Alice? Maybe if she had let him explain it would make sense. And part of her was pist off at Kendall for paging them at that moment. But the other part was glad. Why, she didn't know. Maybe she didn't know what to say. She remembered that Vaughn's words had made tears sting her eyes.
Sydney parked her car in the Credit Dauphine parking garage and walked to the elevator. Vaughn was still on her mind. She waited for the elevator to reach SD-6 HeadQuarters, which took a few minutes. So that gave her time to reorginize her thoughts.
The elevator doors opened and she stepped out into the middle of the white room. It buzzed as it flashed red, making it look like the walls had been stained with blood.
The bright light didn't usually hurt her eyes, she had gotten use to it. But occasionally, it stung her eyes like poision was flooding them. Only when something was really bothering her. And today was one of those days. She closed her eys and squeezed the pain out as she shook her head. She thanked that light on days like these. Because it woke her up mantally and she would be alert and normal.
She stepped out of the room and into the dark and gloomy HeadQuarters of SD-6. People wizzed by, thinking of tasks at hand. Voices filled the halls and phones ringing in differen't tones and speed gathered peoples attention. THis was what it was like daily at SD-6.
Sydney relected back to her first time walking through here. Amazed that so called CIA agents looked like ordinary people, amazed at how busy everyone was. And when she ran into Dixon in the hallway. She smiled at the memory.
A familiar voice jogged her thoughts. She turned aroung to see Dixon. She offered him a smile. "Hi, what's up?"
"Sloane wants to see you in his office." Dixon replied. She had a pretty good idea why.
"Okay, thanks Dixon." Sydney said. She turned and headed for Sloane's office. Once again her thoughts wondered to the past. When she first met Sloane.
She knocked on the glass door as she glanced in. Sloane had a worried look on his face, which was usual. He looked up and unlocked the door for her. Sydney opened it and sat down in a chair to face him. "Sydney, good morning." Sloane greeted.
Sydney put on her everyday, worn-out fake smile. She hardly ever really smiled anymore. "Good morning."
"Sloane sat up in his chair. "I'm sure you're wondering why I called you here." Sydney nodded. "Last night, when you got back, did you see anyone, suspicious?"
Sydney thought a moment. She didn't pretend this time. She accually thought because she did want to find Marshall. Sydney shook her head. "No, I didn't. Why?"
Sloane let out a long breath, as if he was holding it in. Sydney was sure that not having Marshall, was a big problem to SD-6. "Marshall hasn't turned up. He didn't come in this morning. And when we tried to contact him, we got no reply."
Sydney gave him a shocked and confused look. "What do you think happened?"
Sloane shook his head. "I don't know. But it worries me. Marshall is critical to SD-6. If he was kidnapped, the kidnapper could get whatever information they needed about SD-6."
Sydney was shocked. For real. Marhsall would have been a great advantage to the CIA, to help bring down SD-6. "How much exactly, does Marshall know?" Sydney asked, fishing for information.
"A lot." Sloane answered. "The codes to the SD-6 mainframe, the blueprints, vault codes. All the information anyone would need to sneak in a completely shut-down SD-6."
Damn. She wished now more than ever that the CIA had gotten Marshall. He was a huge key. Sydney also realized that SD-6 was in critical danger. She didn't know if she should be happy or not.
Last time SD-6 was held hostage, Sydney ended up saving it. Which she never thought she'd do. And it didn't exactly turn out happy in the end. With Rambaldi's Prophecy and finding out that her mother must have still been alive.
Sydney gave Sloane another fake smile. "I'm sure he'll be alright." Sloane looked doubtful.
JUst then another knock came on the door. Sloane unlocked it and she herd the doors open. Sydney turned in her chair to see a tall, blonde older women. Sydney had never seen her before.
"Sydney," Sloane said. Sydney turned back around, expection and introduction. "That'll be all, thank you."
Confused and curious, Sydney got up and left. As she walked away from Sloane's office she looked back. That women was suspicious. Maybe her father would know. She should ask him.

"That women was Ariana Kane. She was sent to help Sloane in an investigation." Jack explained to Sydney.
Sydney's eyebrow's showed she was confused. "An investigation? What investigation?" She was curious. Could it be to find Marshall?
"Emily's death was not a change of health. Sloane was ordered to Kill her. If he did, he would be let into the Alliance." Jack replied. She knew Sloane killed Emily. "Recently, Sloane saw Emily."
"He saw here?" Sydney asked shocked.
"Yes. He tried to kill her using Sodium Morphate, a type of poision. A recent discovery has proved that she had taken an antidote without Sloane's knowledge." Jack said, explaining the situation. "Just the other day Sloane got a call from someone regarding his wife. They requested a certain amount of meny for her."
"That was about money?" Sydney asked surprised.
"Aparently." Jack responded. "Sloane took the situation to the Alliance. Sloane suggested taht they make the trade and put a tracking device on the money."
"Why?" Asked Sydney, taking in this news.
"He felt that this person would be a secruity risk. The Alliance agreed." Jack said to Sydney, who was still having trouble taking this all in.
"So what did he do?" Sydney asked, curious for more.
"Sloane had Marshall out an invisible, liquid tracking device on the money. The trade was made but not in person. Sloane left the case of money on a bench. In return, he was given intructions to a newspaper with a hidden envelope containing pictures of Emily with a bullet to her head." Sydney winced at the thought.
"And the tracking device?" This was all confusing. So many things had happened in the past two months. It all must connect somehow.
"The signal was lost. They never found who it was." Her father answered.
Sydney thought a moment. "So, the Alliance sent Ariana Kane to investigate this?"
"Yes."
Another thing hit Sydney. "Why didn't you tell me about this before?"
"Because it's a dangerous secret I wasn't supose to know, and since I do, I am Ariana's top suspect. If anyone learns about you knowing, she'll suspect you as well." Jack warned. "I suggest you don't tell anyone. Not even Agent Vaughn."
Sydney looked up at him with surprise. "You're telling me, that the CIA doesn't know about this?"
"They don't need to know, at least not yet." Jack said.
Sydney didn't like thi. "Dad, if you're a top suspect, I think you should let them know!"
"I can handle it Sydney. I'll tell them when I think it's time." Sydney didn't respond. No use fighting with her dad. He never listened. She decided she wouldn't tell the CIA and leave it up to him. He had more experience with this.
"Do you think that Ariana Kane suspects you for any other reason?" Sydney asked worried.
"She seems to believe that my relationship with Sloane is the perfect excuse to eliminate my chances as a supect." Jack paused. "That's the biggest reason she suspects me."
"And what does Sloane think?" This was serious, and it was making Sydney worried.
"Sloane doesn't like her way of thinking" Jack answered.
"Well if Sloane's not convinced, you should be okay. For a while." SYdney said relieved.
"For now anyway. Sloane isnt' one that changes his mind easily. But I think that Ariana is pushing him. " Jack's words made Sydney think. THis was not good. "Even if Sloane doesn't agree, he doesn't have control over Ariana. She'll do what she will."
"Dad, this is serious." Sydney argued. "This could lead to reviel your cover as a doubleagent for the CIA!"
"Sydney," Jack said firmly, giving her his glaring face. "I can handle it." He turned away from her and got in his car.
Sydney was completely, and uterly confused and frusterated. This all had to connect, somehow. Her mother turning herself into the CIA, Sark joining SD-6, Marshall's disapearence and now this. It all had to connect somehow. And she was determind to find out how.

~~~~~~

Chapter 2
~~~~~~~

He was slammed into the chair by the two men. They pushed him down as they strapped him down. He didn't scare easily, but Sloane had control over him. His mind was running wild, questions, thoughts. What had he done this time? What happened to make Sloane suspect him? They shoved the cold glass ball in his mouth and strapped down his jaw.
Sloane glared at him as he approached. "Mr. Sark, once again we have a problem. This is the second time since you've been here."
"What are you talking about?" Sark tried his best to speak with the glass ball in his mouth. "We got the terminal, and Sydney returned from her mission."
"Yes. But Marshall didn't." Sloane informed him. He walked toward Sark and glared at him as he slightly pulled the lever. Sark squeezed his eyes shut. "So tell me, what happened to Marshall?"
"I-I don't know!" Sark managed to squeak out. Through pain, past the cracking glass ball. "I have nothing to do with it!" He scream through parshally clenched teeth.
Sloane loosened the lever a little bit. "Then what, happened?"
"I-dont-know!" Sark repeated, spacing out each word so that Sloane got the picture.
Sloane studied him for a while. He removed his hand from the lever and Sark gasped for air. He let his haw hang, letting the pain out. The ball fell from his mouth. "Release him." Sloane ordered. "And have Miss Kane speak with him." He left as Sark was being unstrapped.

Sydney ignored the crickets, the cold air and the darkness. She headed straight for Vaughn, with one thing on her mind. "Did you read my report?" She asked firmly as she stopped infront of him.
"Yes, I did." Vaughn answered.
"No one else saw it did they?" She asked, slightly afraid.
"No." Vaughn shook his head. "I read it at my house, so no one saw."
"Good." Sydney nodded. "I wasn't supose to tell anyone, not even you." He gave her a look of shock and hurt. "But I had to tell someone. And you're the only one I trust. I need someone else's opinion on this." She looked at him, searching for an answer to her unspoken question.
Vaughn just sat there silent a moment, getting ready to tell her. "This is very serious, and very dangerous. I agree that all this, all that's happening does somehow connect. But, I also agree with your father."
This hit Sydney, it took her a second to recover. "What?" She looked hard at him.
"Sydney, this is too dangerous to spread around. Your father's right to say it's not smart to tell anyone." Vaughn tried to knock sense into her.
"But what are we supose to do?" Sydney yelled over him. Losing control of her voice. "Just sit back and watch things happen?"
"For now, yes." Vaughn said, stepping closer. Giving her his small glare. "There's nothing we can do about Sloane's blackmailer right now. But if we continue looking for Marshall, speaking with your mother and watching Sark it could give us clues or hints, maybe lead to something. But for now, we should just let your father handle it. He knows what he's doing Syd, it'll be alright."
Sydney starred at the floor. "I know you're right. But it's, " She looked up at Vaughn and starred at him. "it's just hard to sit and do nothing. Sit and wait." Vaughn nodded, assuring her that he understood. "It's dangerous I know. That's the reason I wanted to do something about it. But listening to what you said, it knocked some sense into me." She flashed him a smile. "And I realize now, that it's more dangerous to do something, to try adn slove it. That''s why I needed to tell someone, to get their opinion. To see if I was thinking clearly." She smiled at Vaughn again. "Thank you."
Vaughn gave her his normal, small smile. "You're welcome. And, personally I'm glad that you told me." His smile slightly widened.
There was a short silence. A short uncofortable silence. "Have you met with Will yet?" Sydney asked, changing the subject.
Vaughn's face fell. He tried to hide it, but Sydney saw disapointment and uncomfort. It almost made her smile. He lowered his head a little and quickly looked from her to the ground, then back up at her again. He put a little smile on for her. It made him uncomfortable when she brought up Will. Yeah he brought him up sometimes but, that was differen't. He knew that she just wanted toknow how Will was doing, after all he is her friend. But it just made him uncomfortable, he couldn't explain it. "Um, no, not yet. But I am this afternoon."
Sydney nodded. "Okay. He's been real jumpy to know how he did." Her lips streached out to a grin. Vaughn just responded by returning the smile and moving his eyes to the floor. "So, how's Alice?" Vaughn's eye's shotup. He was surprised by it, and he could see that she was uncomfortable, nercous maybe? Like him with Will. "Is she doing better?"
"Yes, she, she's doing alright." Vaughn answered. He wasn't comfortable talking about Alice either.
Sydney didn't like to talk about Alice. She knew that she always was the one to pick that subject, but she was curious. She could tell taht Vaughn was uncomfortable taling about her too. Sydney knew why they had become suddenly distant. It was one wall, one gap, one space, it was Alice. She didn't want to, but Sydney couldn't help but distance herself from Vaughn since she met Alice.
Sydney suddenly realized that there had been a long silence. "Well, that's good."
Vaughn looked back at the ground. "Yeah, it is." He said quietly.
Sydney stood there for a few more seconds. Then she turned to go, not saying anything. She reached the gate and was about to pull it open when she remembered what Vaughn had said last time. About her being distant. She turned to him. "I'll see you soon."
Vaughn smiled and nodded. Sydney flashed him a smile and opened the gate. She was glad that he noticed that she had been distant.

Sydney pulled up in her driveway, still trying to orginized her thoughts. Classify the questions and answers. Sydney opened the door and found Francie in the living room reading a magazine. "Hey Syd." Francie greeted, sitting up and closing her magazine.
"Hi Francie." Sydney greeted back. She set her things on the counter." You have today off?"
"Yeah, you wanna go do something?" Francie asked cheerfully. "It's been like, forever since we've accually hung out."
Sydney was a little hesitant, but she decided that she owed it to Francie. And she needed something to occupy her mind, if that was possible. She smiled. "Sure, that would be great."

Will stepped out of his car and smiled. He shook hands with Vaughn. "Hey, so what's up?" He asked, trying to hide his curiousity, his question. He tried to hold in his hopefulness and excitment.
Vaughn gave him a smile. "Well, I just thought you should know that, you did really well on your test," Will nodded, a smile slowly spreading. "and that, you're in!"
Will stood there a moment, taking it in. He was grinning, the excitment and happiness lighting up his face. "Wow, I'm-I'm in. I-I made it." Vaughn nodded with a smile, imagining the excitment. "Wow, I can't tell you how, relieved I am. Thank you."
"Well, you shouldn't be thanking me," Vaughn began to say.
"But you're the one who got me started in the first place." Will reminded Vaughn. "So, you deserve the thanks." Vaughn just smiled again. "So, when do I start? And on, what?"
"Well, if it's okay with you, I can take you to my office and show you what to do." Vaughn offered.
Will smiled. "Sure."

Sydney and Francie sat at a table eating their food. They had decided to go to the mall and go shopping. They talked about lots of stuff, work, family, friends, people. But now they were just silent.
Sydney hadn't really been eating her food. She just mixed it around with her fork. A blank expression on her face as she starred at her food. Francie noticed this. "Syd?" Sydney looked up at Francie and she tried to put on a happy look. "Okay Syd, I know what you're like when something is bothering you," Sydney had a small look of panic. She would have to find someway to tell the truth without details. "and something is definetly bothering you." Francie gave Sydney a worried and sympathetic look. "Sweetie what's wrong?"
Sydney took a deep breath adn looked around, checking her sroundings. "You're right Francie, you couldn't possibly be more right." She had a weak smile. "There's this guy, at work."
Francie looked like she completely understood already. "Is this the same guy who gave you that picture frame last year for Christmas?" Francie asked with curiousity.
Sydney flashed another weak smile. "Yeah," She nodded. "he is. He, he's been my friend from the start. He's always been there for me, he's always been so, so nice." Sydney's face seemed to light up a little, and the pitch of her voice was happy. Talking about Vaughn made Sydney happy, and Francie saw that. "We're really close noe. Closer then we have been. But, the other day, or accually a few weeks ago, I met his girlfriend that he broke up with last year. I guess they kinda, sorta got back together." Francie's face dropped and so did Sydney's mood. "And, I couldn't help but be jealous."
"Syd, why don't you just tell him how you feel?" Francie asked confused.
"Sydney hesitated. "I can't, bank rules. " Francie rolled her eyes and nodded understanding.
"Man don't you hate that? " Francie asked. "You find the perfect guy then he turns out to be a jerk. I can't believe this guys been leading you on!"
"No Francie, he's not like that!!" Sydney said sternly. "He's not like that at all. And he tried to explain the situation with his girlfriend to me but, but I wouldn't let him." Sydney's eyes started to shine from unshed tears. "Because I knew that I would've started crying, right in the middle of the office. And even if it turned out that they weren't really dating, I still couldn't have him because of the bank's damn rules." Sydney rested her forehead on her hand, trying to hide her tears. She quietly sobbed.
"Sydney sweetie, I understand that obsitcals that are making you keep in how you feel." Francie said. "but jump over those obsitcals and tell him how you feel. If what you say is true, which I don't doubt, taht he even tried to explain his girlfriend, then forget the bank's rules and tell him how you feel!" Francie smiled. "Trust me Sydney, it'll make a difference."
Sydney dried her tears and slightly looked around. She smiled at Francie. "Thanks Francie. Maybe I will, when the opportunity presents itself."

"Mr. Sark, " Ariana smiled. "I"ve herd a lot about you." She sat in the chair across from him and waited untill the door behind her closed.
"Cut the act Miss Kane." Sark said firmly. "I don't like the way this is going. The deal has been constantly putting my life in danger."
"Sark, I believ that we warned you of this." Ariana said calmly as she took off her glasses.
"Yes but if it happens again, my partnership with Sloane will be off! And what's worse he might have me killed!" Sark's voice was raising.
"Listen, there is nothing more in our plan to get you introuble." Ariana informed him. "We have all we need. Now I was sent here to talk to you about Marshall. I'll tell Sloane you have nothing to do with it." Ariana stood up to leave.
"How do you know he'll believe you?" Sark questioned. "He doesn't seem to believe you about Jack."
Ariana turned around and glared at Sark. "He'll believe me."

~~~~~~

Okay, my trip was canceled, so I have some more for you!!

Chapter 3
~~~~~~~

Right when Sydney and Francie got in the door, arms full of bags, Sydney's cell phone rang. She ran to her room and through her stuff on her bed. She answered her phone. "Hello?" She pulled out her lipstick bug killer.
"Syd, it's me." Like he needed to tell her, like she couldn't tell already. "We've picked up where Marshall is."
Her heart stopped and her eyes grew. "I'll be there in a few minutes." And she hung up. She walked back into the living room. "I've gotta go to work, see you later Francie."
"Okay Syd, good luck." Francie winked at Sydney and Sydney smiled, knowing what she meant.
When Sydney got to the Operations Center she quickly made her way over to Vaughn and Kendall. They both turned to face her as she approached. "So where is he?"
"He's being held at an underground facility, here in LA." Vaughn explained. "We still don't know who his captives are though."
"You're going in to get him." Kendall told her. "There'll be a car waiting in an hour."
"I don't have a problem with this." Sydney began, something obviously on her mind. "But I can't do this alone, the sercurity could be really tight."
"Well Miss Bristow, anything but a solo would be too dangerous." Sydney looked to Vaughn, who didn't say anything. "Be ready in an hour." Kendall said and left Sydney and Vaughn.
"I have to get ready." Sydney said before she turned and left.

Marshall shivered with fear and from the cold air. He couldn't see, it was too dark. His breathing got heavier and heavier with panic by the minute. His mind was racing and he couldn't think. His mouth was covered with blood, two teeth had already been pulled. Sweet ran down his face.
Muffled voices where near by, as well as shuffling feet. He herd the hinges on the door squeak as the door was opened. Marshall was scared, of who it was, of what they would do to him next.
The shoes made a high pitch sound as they hit the floor, high heels, a women. Thanks god it wasn't the man in the wheel chair. The clanking stopped, and Marshall could barely see the outline of the person. She leaned in, her face being washed over by the small green light. Marshall froze in shock. She smiled at him. "Hello Marshall."
"M-m-m-Miss K-k-Kane?" Marshall stuttered out, barley able to speak.
"So, you do remember me." She leaned back into the shadows. "Good."
"Miss Kane, wha-what are you doing here?" Marshall asked in confusion. He had only met her once, when she interviewed him as she did with the rest of the SD-6 staff. "What's going on?"
"Marshall, I understand that you know a lot about SD-6." Her face poped out of the darkness, on the opisite side of where she was. She startled Marshall. "I need some information."
"Why? What for?" Marshall asked, not trusting her.
The shadows blanketed her face as she stepped out of the light. "That's not important. What's important is the information you have. Will you give it to me?"

"I'm in." Sydney whispered as she quietly made her way down the hall. Doing her best to stay hidden in the dark spots. Muffled voices and chuckles were near by.
"Good work Mountaineer." Vaughn's voice crackled in her earpiece. "Head straight down the hall, and take a left, two rights and right down the stairs."
Sydney made her way down the hall. She leaned against the wall and peered around the corner. Two guards stood there whispereing and chuckling. Sydney pulled out her silenced tranq gun and shot them both. They slowly fell to the floor. Sh looked around before taking a left turn. She carefully stepped over the guards limp bodies.
She got halfway down the hall when she reached an intersection. She looked down all the halls before she went around the right corner. Voices got louder as they came around the corner down the hall. Sydney quickly stepped into some shadows, hiding herself from them. They almost reached her when they turned into another hall. Luckily not the one she was headed for.
Sydney reached the second right. She flew around the corner and collided with a guard. He started to yell at her in some other language. She kneed him in the stomach, gave him a very good knucklesandwhich and kicked his huanched over back. He fell to the floor and rolled down the short flight of stairs. Sydney stood still, holding her breath, listening for anyone who might have herd her fight. Nothing. She let out her breath.
"Boot Camp, I have reached the stairs." Sydney reported as she carefuly made her way down the stairs.
"Good job. Now there should be a long hallway with two intersections." Vaughn explained. "Take a left on the first intersection. The door you're looking for is the fifth door on the right."
"Copy." Sydney said as she counted the doors. She reached the fifth door and turned the knob and pulled. Locked. Pushed, and it still wouldn't budge. She stood back and looked around. She pulled out her gun and blew off the hinges.
"Mountaineer, what was that?" Vaughn asked with a slight tone of panic.
"Nothing Boot Camp." She replied as she carefuly removed the door. "The door was locked and I had to blow off the hinges."
"Copy that." She could hear the relief in his voice.
Sydney peered in the room. It was pitch black except for a dim green light shinning on a man on a table. Marshall. Sydney, filled with relief, swiftly walked over to him. An all to familiar sound echoed in the room and halls, and pain along with impact hit Sydney's shoulder. She had been shot. Sydney cried out in pain. She hit the floor and rolled over into a corner and she shot wildly with her gun.
She herd the clapping of heels as the person ran for the door. When she reached it, the light from the halls unmasked her face and Sydney saw it. Ariana Kane.
Before she could think, Vaughn was demanding to know what was going on as well as Marshall. Sydney raced to Marshall. "Marshall!" Vaughn was silent at hearing her voice.
"Syd? Is that you?" Marshall asked, relief and happiness washed over him.
"Marshall I'm so sorry." Sydney said as she took off his blindfold ans unstrapped him. "We'll talk later, but right now we have to get out of here." Just then, the alarm went off.

I still have more of this chapter to type, but my brother wants the computer so I'll write the rest later.

Great. The storyline is gripping and the first part of Chapter 2 is some of the best writing i have ever read. Can't wait for an update.

Well, I'm glad that you like it so far, but you seem to be my only reader. Oh well, here's some more.

Chapter 3-Part 2
~~~~~~~

"Did you talk to Sark?" Sloane asked Ariana as she came in.
"Yes. He had nothing to do with it." Ariana sat down.
"What makes you say that?" Sloane leaned back in his chair, waiting to hear her excuse.
"Not only did his answers to my questions prove it, but I can see through people." She said quietly, leaning forward to stare hard at Sloane. "I can see in his eyes, I can hear in his voice, his movements, I can tell, he has nothing to do with the disapearence of your technician." Sloane nodded disapointed. "But Jack Bristow-"
"Ariana, I know we aren't the US government, but I will not allow you to take action against Jack unless you get some hardcore evidence that he's involved." Ariana sat back in her chair.

"Hey Francie." Will walked in the kitchen and looked over Francie's shoulder. She was making pancakes.
"Hey, what's up?" Francie smiled. She flipped a pancake.
Will sat on a stool by the counter. He shrugged his shoulders. "Not much. Oh, I got a job!"
Francie spun around, her face glowing. "Will!! That's great!!" She walked over and leaned across the counter to give him a hug. "I'm so happy for you! So what is it?"
"I'm a journalist." Will smiled.
"It's good that you're doing something you like. " Francie said as she put some pancakes on a plate. "Hey, has Syd seemed really down lately to you?" Francie sat across from Will.
Will thought a minute "No, why?"
"Well, we went shopping yesterday at the mall." Francie explained. "And when we got lunch she was acting really down. So I asked her what was up." Will nodded, concern overtaking him. "Well, I guess there's this guy at work, you know, the guy who got her that picture frame for Christmas last year?"
Will froze. Sydney was down because of Vaughn? Why? Will liked Vaughn, he was a good guy, nice and all. But he felt his jealousy flaring. "Yeah, I remember."
"Well, they're really close and all, great friends and stuff. Sydney just discovered that he's sort of gotten back together with his girlfriend that he broke up with last year." Will knew her, he saw her at the bar. Alice. He noticed how uncomfortable Sydney and Vaughn had both been. "Anyway, it was a big impact on Syd and she's been really jealous." Will swallowed. Sydney was jealous of Alice, Vaughn's girlfriend. "But she wouldn't be able to date him even if he didn't have a girlfriend because of the bank rules. But, when she talked about this guy, her whole face would light up and she'd be cheerful. Just TALKING about him made her happy." Will was hating this. He didn't want to hear anymore. "I told her to just go ahead and tell the guy how she feels. I mean he sounds like the perfect guy for Syd. " Will was screaming inside. "She needs someone to be with anyway, she's been through so much."
Will just sat there frozen, silent. He was screaming inside, his heart was racing and he was beginning to sweet. He hoped he wouldn't start holding a grudge against Vaughn, or start being rude. He really liked Vaughn, but he was so steaming jealous. He'd have to watch his actions next time he saw Vaughn.

Sydney and Marshall froze in place at hearing the alarm. Panice surgged through them both. "Vaughn, they set off the alarm. They must've found one of the guards I knocked out." Either that or Ariana set it off. "We need the quickest way out, FAST!"
"Who's Vaughn?" Marshall asked. Sydney put her finger to her lips, signaling for him to be quiet.
"The quickest and safest way is the way you came." Vaughn explained.
"Marshall, stay as close as you can to me, and be as quiet as possible." Sydney whispered quickly. Marshall nodded, the panic visible on his face.
Sydney dashed out of the room and down the hall, headed for the stairs she came down. She came to a sudden stop, hearing running and yelling, just up the stairs. She spun and bulted the other way, confusing Marshall. As she ran she spoke to Vaughn. "Vaughn, we can't go that way. What's the next best way?" she glanced over her shoulder to make sure Marshall was keeping up. He was, just barley. "Come on Marshall!!"
"Syd." Vaughn said, getting her attention. "At the end of the hall your in there's an elevator. Take it to the top florr and we'll go from there."
"Sydney!" Marshall's voice called. She turned as she stopped to wait for him. "The guards are right behind us!" That's when she saw them, five or six guards, hot on their tail.
"Marshall run faster!" Sydney demanded. He did, and she waited for him to run infront of her before she started to run. "Marshall at the end of the hall to the left of this elevator is a door, go in there for cover!"
The guards started to fire their guns. The bullets ricashaying, echoing in the halls. They were fast and rapid. Marshall reached the end of the hall and flew into the room to the left. Sydney pulled out her gun and her silenced tranq gun. She slammed on the UP elevator button before following Marshall into the room.
"Marshall, when the elevator door opens," Sydney said out of breath. "run in and hit the top floor button." She flew aroung the corner, firing both her guns as fast as she could. She hit two guards, and the third was stumbling. Her bullet wound in her shoulder throbbed.
The elevator beeped and the doors opened. Marshall flew in and hit the top floor button. Sydney walked in backwards as fast as she could while still firing her guns. The doors closed, and the elevator moved. Sydney sighed in relief as she slumped against the wall. Marshall was breathing heavily. "Vaughn," Sydney said, agian out of breath. "we made it."

~~~~~

What about me?

~Me :angel2:

P.S.- Since I know you guys will actually read this story, is everyone in the romance fiction forum mad at me or something?

Why should anyone be mad at you?? And I thought that I only had one reader cause I only saw one review. Sorry about that, thanks for reading though, I'll have more up soon!

hey aliaselle nobodys mad at u i dont think I luv ya for always readin my stuff and you leave great tips!!!
and alias i love the storyu but have some s/v soon!!!!please!!!!

sark vs. vaughn, believe and trust me when I say this, there will be LOTS oh yes LOTS of S/V!!!!!! But it will take a while, but trust me, it will SO be worth the wait!!! You'll love it(i hope anyway) so just be patient and you'll get A LOT!!! :D

ok, I'm here. You probably don't want my excuses and stuff but I haven't been on for a while (well whem I did get on it was for only a few min.) and I'm just now finding this. I love it. It's really good :smiley: I can't wait to see the next chapter and to find out what happens to Syd and Marshall. keep it up! :smiley:

~Jessica

Alias said:
sark vs. vaughn, believe and trust me when I say this, there will be LOTS oh yes LOTS of S/V!!!!!! But it will take a while, but trust me, it will SO be worth the wait!!! You'll love it(i hope anyway) so just be patient and you'll get A LOT!!! :D
You're my new best friend. More please!

Wow, I'm glad that you all like it so much!! SD-1 doesn't seem to like it. See I didn't think I was getting any readers cause no one was reviewing. So I was begining to think I sucked at writing. But I'm glad that you all like it, and here's the next chapter.

Chapter 4
~~~~~~~

"How's Marshall?" Sydney asked Vaughn as she sat on a stool by a fence.
"He's doing okay. The doctors cleaned him up, and he's due for a briefing in a couple hours." Vaughn replied, watching her.
"I want to see him." Sydney demanded. She knew what it was like, to find out that you're whole life is a lie. She wanted to help him get through it.
"You can see him after the briefing." Vaughn offered. Sydney nodded and slightly smiled. "If you want, I can have a camera set up in the room so you can watch it." Vaughn tried to help, to make her feel better.
"Thanks, I think I'll do that." Sydney agreed. She looked down at the ground with a look of hard concentration.
Vaughn studied her a moment. "What's wrong?" Sydney looked up, her serious face staring at him.
"When I went to save Marshall," She paused and swallowed. "I saw Ariana Kane."
Vaughn stood still, thinking for a minute. "Ariana Kane, the one sent to investigate Sloane's blackmailer?" Sydney nodded, Vaughn took a deep breath and rubbed his eyse.
"When Marshall is done with the briefing, I'll talk to him, see if he knows anything."Sydney explained her idea.
Vaughn nodded. "Sounds good."
"I'll talk to my father after that." Sydney stood up, ready to leave. Vaughn watched her as she pulled her jacket on. He tried to think of something to say, but he didn't know what. Sydney stood there, with a look that she was thinking about something, having an arguement in her head. She looked at him, uncomfortable. "How's Alice? I mean, with her dad's death."
She asked if before and it surprised him. And it surprised him again and made him uncomfortable. "She's uh, doing better. But-" He stopped and looked away.
"Vaughn? What is it?" Sydey stepped foward.
Vaughn shook his head. "It's, it's nothing."
Sydney studied him, not believing him. "Vaughn, you've always listened to me, about things that were bothering me. Whenever I needed to talk, you listened." She smiled weakly. "If YOU ever need to talk, I'll listen."
Vaughn smiled shyly. "Thank you Sydney."
They stood there in a short silence. Sydney walked to the gate and pulled it open. THe smile was still on her face.

Marshall couldn't believe it. As much as he didn't want to, he did. They have proof, facts. They told him he was living a lie, his whole life a lie. SD-6 was his life, but it was a lie. It was fake.
He was glad the briefing had ended when it did. Because he felt like he was going to faint. It was a miricle that he didn't. Not just the information on SD-6 was shocking, but there was something else.
Jack and Sydney Bristow were doubleagents for the CIA working undercover at SD-6. This whole time, doubleagents. It was a shock, it was too much.
"Marshall?" A voice pulled him from his thoughts. The soft, elegant voice that he knew as Sydney's. He looked up at her, concern written on her face. She smiled briefly. "I know, I know what it's like." She said. "It's hard to take in, to believe." She sat down infront of him. "Marshall, I have some questions, I need you to answer them as best you can." Marshall nervously nodded. "I need to know, who kidnapped you. Who had it done."
"Ariana Kane. You, you know, the women, sent to investigate, whatever? She has like blonde hair-" Marshall tried to describ her.
"Marshall," Sydney said gently. "What did she want from you?"
"Information. About SD-6." Marshall answered plainly.
"Did she say why?" Sydney asked slowly.
Marshall shook his head. "N-no."
Sydney became very serious, more than before. "Did you give her any information?"
"No." Marshall answered. Sweet was starting to bead his face.
Sydney leaned back in her chair, relieved. "Who pulled out your teeth Marshall?"
"S-some Asain guy." Marshall described. "He had little round glasses," He made circles with his fingers and put them up to his eyes. "and he wore a suit. And, and he was in a wheelchair."
Realization hit Sydney, and she didn't like it. She knew him, how could she forget? Last time he was working for Sark. Now for Ariana Kane? Sydney smiled. "Thank you Marshall."

"Do you think that Ariana Kane could have to do with Sloane's blackmailer and Emily?" Sydney asked her father.
"Possibly. When I met her, she didn't make me suspicious. " Jack admitted to his daughter. "But the recent events have led me to believe that she has a bigger role, that she is part of all this."
"I'm afraid to go to SD-6." Sydney said. Jack looked at her confused. "She saw me at that facility, she knows I saved Marshall. But Marshall hasn't returned to SD-6. It'll make her suspicious."
"She will most likely do something about that." Jack added to Sydney's facts.
Sydney sighed. "Another thing is the guy that interigated Marshall. He did that to me and Will. He was hired by Sark to torture Will." Sydney paused and looked at Jack. "I'll talk to mom. Get more information on this guy." Jack slowly nodded, not likeing the idea.

The echos of her shoes mixed with the reeling and clanking of the gates. She sighed as she came to face her mother. It was silent a moment as they starred into each others eyes.
"A few months ago, Sark hired an Asain interigator." Sydney began. "We need any information you have on this man."
Irina was silent as she studied Sydney. "He's one of my former employees." Sydney was surprised. "I'm sure he's working for Sark now. His name is unknown. He didn't tell us, we didn't care. "
Sydney was silent as she thought, her eyes looking away. She looked back at Irina. "Thank you." She was about to leave when her mother spoke.
"Why aren't you happy?"
Sydney slowly turned back to face Irina. Her face showing her confusion. "My life is hell. You expect me to be happy?" Sydney asked in disbelief.
"You're more down today. There's a sadness in you that wasn't there before." Her mother sad softly as she stared at her daughter. "Like a piece of some little hope had been shredded." Sydney was amazed at how her mother did that, how she read people. "Why aren't you happy Sydney? Agent Vaughn is alive, is he not?"
Sydney looked her mother witha mix of emotions. "Vaughn had nothing to do with it." Sydney replied confident, staring her mother straight in the eye.
"Don't lie to me Sydney. " Irina shook her head. "He had everything to do with it. What happened?"
Sydney stared hard at Derevko. She had started to be nice to her mother, be friendly. But this was going to far. "It's not your buisness."
"Yes it is."
"Why is that?"
"Because I'm your mother." That line had an impact on Sydney before. But it didn't effect her as badly this time. Things are different now than they were then.
"Being my mother, doesn't give you the right to know my buisness. Agent Vaughn is my coleage. Nothing more." Sydney explained.
"I told you not to lie to me Sydney." Her mother reminded.
"What makes you think I'm lying?" Sydney asked curiously.
"If he were nothing but a coleage to you, you wouldn't have gone through what you went through to save him." Irina said with a small smile on her face.
Sydney was really uncomfortalbe now. Her eyes darted to the security camera. She hoped Vaughn wasn't watching. She faced her mother. "I owed it to him." And she walked towards the first gate.
"He is just as see-through as you." Irina called after Sydney. Sydney stopped and looked back at her mother. What was she saying? That Vaughn had those feelings for her? "You both are open books." Sydney just stared in silence. Then she looked ahead of her and walked down the hall.

"She doesn't know his name, but he use to be one of her employees." Sydney explained to Jack. "She said he works for Sark now. So Sark and Ariana must be in this together."
Jack was quiet, not looking her in the eyes. "Sydney, I saw the tape." Sydney was silent, comprehending this. He was watching her, again. And he herd the whole conversation about Vaughn. "I already knew you cared for him, especialy after what you did to save him. But all I'm going to say, its be careful." She was expecting a lecture. She was relieved that she didn't get one, and shocked. Her father had been different lately. She didn't know what changed him, but she liked it. It must have been the Project Christmas thing. Ever since then, he's been different, nicer, more caring, more respect. "I'll take care of the tape." And he left her there, thinking, wondering a million things.

"Damn it Ariana! That was our only chance and you blew it!" Sark tried to control his voice, but he was pist. "You didn't get anything from him at all. We didn't denifet from this one bit!"
"I saw Sydney there. She saved Marshall and didn't bring him back." Ariana said. "It's suspicious-"
"Don't play dumb with me Ariana! We both already know that Sydney and Jack are doubles!" Sark said. "That's why you're using Jack as a cover up! So that you can find a way to prove he's a double. And we can't tell Sloane about your encounter with Sydney because it'll give you away!"
Ariana didn't like Sark acting like the boss. But he was right and she knew it. "We'll have to find some other way to prove she's a double." Ariana told him.
"And what about Marshall?" Sark asked. "The CIA now has all the information about SD-6. They will no doubtedly use it."
"Sydney rescuing Marshall has changed our plans. " Ariana stated. "But it'll still work. Just in a different way."
"Yes, and what about Derevko?" Sark asked.
"We don't need to worry about her." Ariana told him.
"So what's the next move?" Sark asked with an excited tone in his voice. Ariana smiled.

~~~~~~~

woah. for some reason this fic just came up on the section, so i'm going to have to read it a few times before i can thoroughly absorb it. (i read everything at least twice before replying. it sinks in more that way!)

WOW!!! That 's good. Like I've undoubtly said before, I haven't read many fan-fics, but this is good. I can almost imagine the characters saying the dialouges(except for Sark because I have trouble with the accent). MORE PLEASE...

I only read one at a time so I don't get too comfused. :smiley: ;)

Alias Elle said:
iLoVeAgEnTvAuGhN said:
I only read one at a time so I don't get too comfused. :smiley: ;)
OMG! Have I really scared that many people? Geesh!

Don't worry. I was just telling everyone. You haven't scared me...lol. I was just kidding when I said that you actually scared me. lol. Just dont' worry about it, K? ;)

Back