Disturbed

What in the hell is Jack doing there? Unless it's to get the journal himself.

What Vaughn needs to do is hide behind the door and then knock Jack out, and hope to God there's no security tape recording that he was there.

At least, whatever conditioning Michael has toward Lauren, it's not activated now. Of course on the flight back- who knows. He could become another member of the Mile High Club.

Thanks for the PM.

Chris

syd would be better off knowing as when she finds out will hurt a lot more knowing her lied!
loved it! :D thanks for the PM
cant wait for more

Micheal just needs to tell Syd before he gets any more caught up...she's gonna find out...she always finds out and would be better if he told her...
thanks for the pm.

I am so so so sorry that it didn't come up. Sorry!
6helterskelter6
_Freelancer_ thanks for pointing it out to be :blush:

Chapter 7

Vaughn looked around frantically, trying to figure out where he could hide to be safe. He noticed a couple of wooden benches, lining the walls. He raced over to them, ran his fingers along the edges, and found that there were hinges. He put his palms against the curved edge of the bench and pushed hard. Ignoring the cloud of dust that sprang out, he threw the few objects that were inside into a nearby box. He dove in and slammed the lid shut, praying that these weren’t the last minutes of his life. If Jack found him, he wouldn’t ever bear another child.

He had just slammed the lid of the bench shut when he heard Jack speak. “Raptor to base, I’m going to secure the artifact.” He held his breath, willing himself not to sneeze amidst all of the dust. “Affirmative.” Vaughn heard the sounds of Jack picking up the artifact, but he knew he had to stop him. He prayed one final prayer and burst out as Jack turned his back to leave. He pulled the tranq from his waist and shoved the mask on his face. He shot Jack in the back. Before his father-in-law had a chance to react, he slipped to the ground, the artifact falling from his tight grasp at the last minute.

“Lauren, the artifact is secure.” He whispered into this comm. as he walked calmly down the stairs, brushing off the coat dust that had collected on his suit.

“Sir, crab puff?” A polite young waiter asked him.

“No thanks.” Vaughn replied. He spotted Lauren leaning nonchalantly against the door and rushed over to her. “Let's go.” They claimed their coats and went back to the hotel.

Lauren went and ordered some tea while Vaughn showered. When he got back, he found Lauren curled up in a chair, drinking from a china cup and saucer. She offered another cup to him, but he shook his head, not wanting to drink anything she might have poisoned.

“Fine, but I'm not as horrible of a person as you think I am.” She said, sounding hurt. “I have feelings you know, I have to eat, I have thoughts that aren't crude or world threatening, and I do feel love. Don't treat me like a bug, I do feel.” She said, and slammed the cup down and it shattered into a million pieces. “I’m sorry for being human and making a few mistakes but I’m too deep into this to get out.” She stalked off to her adjoining room and Vaughn just was bewildered. The door slammed between them and was quickly bolted, as if to keep him out, but it didn't matter, he was too stunned to do anything.

After a while he had the sense to go try making it up to her, because he had less than 25 minutes before he left. He knocked hesitantly.

“Leave me alone you man whore.” She said.

“Look Lauren, I have to go soon, I'm sorry. I'm sorry I treated you like trash, but you used me, and you are going to have to understand that it is hard for me to ever trust you, and for me to have any sort of feelings towards you besides hate and resentment.” Vaughn paused, taking a breath. “But we can’t keep doing this. We’re going to have to work together, whether we want to be here or not. “

“I'm sorry too, you're not a man whore, and I'm sorry about lying about who I was.” She unlocked the door and gave him a brief hug.

“Thanks. I've got to fly.” He said. He patted her shoulder and she nodded, motioning him towards the door.

Vaughn felt a small burden lifted from his shoulders as he walked out of the hotel room. At least now, he and Lauren could be more civil towards each other and focus on the mission.

Back in L.A.

Vaughn walked into the house, dropping his duffle bag onto the floor. He ran his fingers through his already rumpled hair. He saw Sydney sitting on the couch, staring intently at a picture of them on their wedding day.

“Oh thank god.” She muttered, rushing over to him and placed a soft kiss on his lips. “I was worried you know.” Sydney said, sounding hurt.

“Syd I was just meeting with a contact.” Vaughn replied softly.

“I know. But I’m pregnant. And hormonal. It’s my right to worry excessively.” She said with a small laugh. “But, was the source any good?”

“Nope.” Vaughn looked away from Sydney.

“Sorry.” She kissed him. “You smell good.”

He attempted a small smile. “I took a shower.”

“Oh, okay.” She gave him a hug, her growing belly in the way, and kissed him again. “I missed you.” She whispered, placing a soft kiss on his jaw. Sighing, he threw his phone onto the counter, hoping that Peyton would give him a break.

“I missed you too baby.” He whispered. “Why don’t I take you out to dinner to make up for it?”

“You don’t have to you know. You were doing your job.” Sydney replied, a dimpled smile spreading across her face.

“I know.” Vaughn said simply. He laid his arm around her shoulder and led her out of the house.

He treated Sydney to a dinner in one of the finest LA restaurants. Afterwards, they drove to the beach. He had hoped that doing this would help relieve some of the guilt that had built up inside him, but it didn’t do any good. They walked along the beach, talking quietly and listening to the seagull flying overhead.

When Sydney grew tired, they went home.

Michael lay in their bed, gazing at his wife. Her left hand rested protectively on her belly and her belly rising slightly with every breath she took. He lifted his hand and placed it on top of hers, still amazed that there was a child inside her.

His child.

And for one moment, Vaughn let go of his worries. He stopped thinking about Peyton and Lauren and let himself get caught up in the excitement of becoming a father.

His eyes drifted shut, a rare real smile playing across his lips.

Awe, that was worth the wait! ;-) Great update. I can't wait to 'meet' that little person. He really does need to get himself straight though. I love Vaughn but he's kinda screwing up and he needs to stop doing that! Thanks for the update!!!

I'm glad Lauren and Vaughn can meet face-to-face now without tearing each other's clothes off. Now the two of them need to take care of Peyton. As long as she's around, they'll never be free.

Thanks for the PM.

Chris

Back