Do games cause violent behavior?

sci-fi-dude

1963, 1899 called they want every thing back....
Classic Atari 2600, why? Because I think right now, those violent games are causing folks to skitzoid out. Until somone proves other wise, ill stick with Aventure and Adventure too. Now where is my Dr. Skipper and bag o funnyons!;)
a16e7b73d9a2d837ff96d83c465a9075.jpg
News flash, Mr. and Mrs. America, violent video games do cause mental instability film at 11...….

Doom was the first, back in the 90's the youngins that did that evil was playing doom, and they set up the scenario like doom. I have played those games and ill tell you what, It could teach a unstable person what to do. Now the realism is off the charts. I have met a few "gamers" at a local comic book shop, and one could tell by the intensity in their eyes, that they need a shrink. You may support these games, as you are entitled to, but as a detective and a college "edumicafated" red neck, I choose my own view. Thanks for responding Kevin!

Doom was the first, back in the 90's
Ah, Doom! That was a great game, still have fond memories of playing that on a LAN against family & friends. Another great, but sometimes forgotten game from that era was Heretic where you could turn other players into chickens! 🐔 Fun times.

Yeuppers...…..so I will continue to enjoy simpler games from a simpler time, hopefully those realistic blast em up games will go out of fad so folks around the country wont have to look over their sholder or be tense when some young air head looses his cool at a mall or some other place, remember don't be a victim, be aware of youre environment at all times. When I was a youngin, we really had no vid games, we hung outside, and had a blast, no nuts, no creeps, no weirdos, just simpler times and believe it or not, most youngins respected their elders.....
65deb8c78634baf0225d3812a43f6dde.jpg

Look at the terrorists now found to have violent websites on their PCs. Really it depends on one's personality and vulnerability to suggestion. most of us normals can handle it but extended periods could ease one towards an anger state and maybe after a time set it more or less permanent. Personally i think violent videos and games do induce that sort of behaviour. Like Sci-Fi Dudes comment–on the nail!

No. Games do not cause violent behavior.
Violent humans have been here since day one. Lol.
If anything, I’d reverse this thread’s title.
Does Violent Behavior Cause Games?

Ha ha, reading it backwards is a sort of palindrome in meaning. Yes Games do cause violence. What is preparing for battle or the Roman Games if not exactly that? It triggers the behaviour in those anti social types and with a bit of persistent exposure i.e. spending hours playing them alters their response when angry. Especially if the Game plays out when the Gamer has 'returned to the real world. Mind you most Gamers can handle it OK and I am sure that applies to this community.

In people or kids who are aggressive to begin with I believe constant exposure to violent media and games can cause some to act out. I don't think it is hard to link a corresponding rise in violent crime to an increase in violent games/media over the last 30 years. It's easier to see if you lived in an era when people weren't so full of hate and weren't desensitized by over exposure to violence. When I was young we were taught violence was something to avoid. These days violence is something to aspire to and games and movies are certainly part of that mentality.

In people or kids who are aggressive to begin with I believe constant exposure to violent media and games can cause some to act out. I don't think it is hard to link a corresponding rise in violent crime to an increase in violent games/media over the last 30 years. It's easier to see if you lived in an era when people weren't so full of hate and weren't desensitized by over exposure to violence. When I was young we were taught violence was something to avoid. These days violence is something to aspire to and games and movies are certainly part of that mentality.
Its funny Verna, Back in the 70's and the 80's, we had games from Atari, Magnavox, Coleco vision and a few Sears or Jc-penny< I miss those stores, Curse you I-net shopping sites ;), and those games were mild at best. There were no school shootings, no shootings that involved comic book characters from psyco-oriented "newer" 90's films, none of that. Sure Rambo and Chuck Norris and Bruce lee rocked the screens, the only violence that happened from stupid teens, was broken bones from karate wanna-be twits. But none to my recollection. I noticed this trend was from 90's plus graphic and very violent films, and Doom truly was a pre curser to violence. The Colorado shooters took from the game doom and proceeded to carry it out that way. I wonder if they didn't see the game or it didn't exist, they would have probably, put itching powder in their bully's jocks in the locker room, or put whip cream on their daddy bought cars. I just bet it would have been milder. Now the nut in Colorado that dressed up like the "newer" Joker that greased the people in that theatre. The original Joker was nothing like this disturbed nut that was portrayed in the new films. I think that son of a bastard should have gotten the Death Penality with no hesitation. Make him an example, he was high on something, that's for sure. And he made a foolish decision, he should pay for it. Now I think these games are too realistic, and weak minds could be easily influenced. Its up to us to trim this felgercarb down to calmer levels. I truly hope it gets taken care of soon! Sci-Fi dude!!!

Last edited:
A terrible tragedy occurred today. A video gaming event was going on in Florida, and 1 player was fairly eliminated threw a tantrum and shot up the place. I fully believe that violent games cause this behavior! This was unnecessary, and totally un-warrented! This sick punk felt he had to destroy other lives because he didn't win! Bastard! Its getting to the point where every where americans go we will need armed Security officers. I just bet if you dig up the punks home video game collection, you will find some violent games. This is total proof! Rip other innocent people!

A terrible tragedy occurred today. A video gaming event was going on in Florida, and 1 player was fairly eliminated threw a tantrum and shot up the place. I fully believe that violent games cause this behavior! This was unnecessary, and totally un-warrented! This sick punk felt he had to destroy other lives because he didn't win! Bastard! Its getting to the point where every where americans go we will need armed Security officers. I just bet if you dig up the punks home video game collection, you will find some violent games. This is total proof! Rip other innocent people!
You consider Madden football to be a "violent" game?

Look I’ve seen my fair share of violence, and not just physical ,
But verbal abuse, terrorism, extortion, torture, homicide, murder, man slaughter.

There’s no telling what’s going on in a typical persons mind.
You can’t trust barely anyone.

Everyone has some sort of mental, protection.
Your brain protects you.

And it almost always , upon boaring them to death,with end up in a fight.
It’s crazy.
I don’t hardly leave the house.
Because everyone wants a shot at the title.
But they can’t do anything the rite way.

And then want something in return.

It’s absolutely insane.

You consider Madden football to be a "violent" game?
Bro, you evidently are involved in the industry, hence the "code-monkey" handle you have there. If the sky looks blue is it not blue? Is the soil, soil? That disturbed bastard had no reason, except for issues with his brain, and perhaps some violent video games, to do what he and others have done. You know these modern games show folks how to operate real life weapons. Madden foot ball has nothing to do with this new violent video game fad of nowadays. Doom was the first virtual reality game to introduce folks to it, and now its so realistic its off the chains. I noticed they the media went after the second amendment again, and not focusing on the real issue. Its cut and dry! Yeup those games must be fun. But there is no replacement for proper training, safety issues, and securing a real weapon. Those games don't teach that, and they really don't teach the real life outcome of a stupid decision......

Btw, im not messing with your profession, you probably have a cool job, im just talking in general. Plus im just blowing off steam, I would love to wake up to a less depressing news day...….

Bro, you evidently are involved in the industry, hence the "code-monkey" handle you have there. If the sky looks blue is it not blue? Is the soil, soil? That disturbed bastard had no reason, except for issues with his brain, and perhaps some violent video games, to do what he and others have done. You know these modern games show folks how to operate real life weapons. Madden foot ball has nothing to do with this new violent video game fad of nowadays. Doom was the first virtual reality game to introduce folks to it, and now its so realistic its off the chains. I noticed they the media went after the second amendment again, and not focusing on the real issue. Its cut and dry! Yeup those games must be fun. But there is no replacement for proper training, safety issues, and securing a real weapon. Those games don't teach that, and they really don't teach the real life outcome of a stupid decision......
Madden football has everything to do with it because it was a Madden football tournament that was taking place and why everybody was gathered. The guy went, to quote a witness, "off the rails" after losing a round of a football video game. No violence, no gore, no blood, just good ol' American football in a peaceful environment.

Instead of trying to plame what other games the guy may or may not have played maybe it should be looked at as to why somebody with his background was even allowed to legally buy & own firearms?

Madden shooter had been hospitalized for mental illness

Madden football has everything to do with it because it was a Madden football tournament that was taking place and why everybody was gathered. The guy went, to quote a witness, "off the rails" after losing a round of a football video game. No violence, no gore, no blood, just good ol' American football in a peaceful environment.

Instead of trying to plame what other games the guy may or may not have played maybe it should be looked at as to why somebody with his background was even allowed to legally buy & own firearms?

Madden shooter had been hospitalized for mental illness
Fox news said, this wacko had friends or family that had em' and he had access to the fire arms. The first game doom put this reality into effect. I have seen and played some of those games, but it had no effect on me, of course, but, im an old fart, hell when doom came out, I was mature in my 30's, although I must say, after playing doom I did "feel" a little odd. The same with "doom-2" the oddness returned. :(When I know something is off, I chunk things in the trash! As for the tournament, it may have been madden football, which is cool, but what the media fails to tell, what other games were played in that bldg.? Did the punk have a hand held and play some shoot em' up games in the parking lot, or waiting room? The bldg. where the tournament was played, was is always madden foot ball that was played, or were there some shoot em' up games played too? News is opinion and emotion, not facts! I did professional security, and I had some good law enforcement officers tell me when I fill out my reports, to remember "Just the facts mam'm" So I need more facts.....

Btw, mentally ill is a convienent label for a psyco! Most of those freaks know what they are and were doing, mental issues aren't always the case....

Back