Politics Do you believe in god?

Do you believe in God?

• Yes

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters
Where does it say that Adam and Eve had only two children? Adam and Eve obviously had more children.

They did have more children, but to procreate would mean that continually incest would have to occur. With brothers and sisters or brothers and mothers or sisters and fathers mating, then how come we haven't seen massive amounts of mental and physical retardation? It's fact that if two people who are closely related (such as brother and sister) breed then their children will be much more likely to be born with disabilities. Then if those children breed with their family members it continues on. A population would not be able to survive thousands of years if the people doing the breeding were that closely related.

The concept of evolution is not fact nor is the concept of creation. Neither could be observed. None of us was present at the primordial soup stage when apparently very complex proteins were formed that somehow turned into a living being...

Let's not forget that evolution didn't just occur during the primordial soup phase. Evolution, though very slow, is occuring every day. How else do you explain skin pigments? If we all came from Adam and Eve then shouldn't we all basically have the same color skin? Evolution has caused people who live in Africa where they get more sun to have darker skin, while someone who lives in Europe has lighter skin.

Catholic church was not around during the time of the beginning of the church in the Bible. Not sure if this is considered a part of the Bible that is true, though. And I am pretty sure, although I of course was not there, that the early church did not teach evolution.

The Catholic Church began when Peter went to Rome about 45 AD (though I've heard 60 AD as well). The Catholic Church has been around longer than any other Christian denomination, even if it might not have exactly been called that (Catholic is just a word that means "universal" for Jesus' vision of a universal church).

And no, I'm sure the early church didn't teach evolution, but just because they didn't teach it doesn't mean it didn't exist. I'm sure schools hundreds of years ago didn't teach quantum physics, but it's very much a subject in today's world (trust me, my boyfriend is studying it). The Catholic Church does believe that biological evolution is possible, but has happened because of God. They feel that He is the driving force behind biological evolution, and feel that they cannot ignore the evidence that is out there.

Okay so you see the evidence of evolution all around us. I see the evidence of creation all around us. I do not understand how anyone who has studied any of biology can believe in evolution. Does no one see how utterly complex we are? And there are people out there saying that we evolved? That by some random chance we became what we are today? I honestly do not understand how this can be possible. Even from a scientific standpoint, I do not see how evolution can be even plausible.

I've studied biology extensively and I don't understand how someone can turn away from evolution after studying it. I definitely see how complex we are, and think it's absolutely amazing and wonderful that we turned out the way we are, when so much could've been different. To think that if just one little thing went wrong millions of yeas ago we might not be here today is utterly fascinating, and quite honestly makes me appreciate life so much more (but that's just me). I've studied evolution in my classes and I find it extremely plausible it all makes sense (and you really must not just look at Darwin for this, there are many other scientists out there who have studied evolution extensively). I've read books and watched documentaries and to me there seems like no other way. How else can you explain the transitional species they've found? Just one example being the whale they recently discovered that actually descended from a wolf? (It's true, I watched an entire documentary on it...very fascinating too). Or if Adam and Eve were placed here by God thousands of years ago, then how do you explain that dinosaurs existed millios of years ago? These are questions that I don't think creationism has the answers to.

In my school, I have been taught both evolution and creation. I have seen a debate between a creationist and an evolutionist who both had doctorates. The evolutionist just babbled about how the earth was very old, while the creationist gave very clear and logical responses. I have had many, many lessons of simply studying evolution. I feel very fortunate that I have been allowed that chance. I have compared creation and evolution for assignments and on my own. Evolution just does not add up to me. It does not add up to some evolutionists either. These are some things from a book about evolution written by evolutionists.
"We do not know how life arose from the primordial soup. This remains the greatest gap in our knowledge of the development of life."
Wow! One rather large gap! If life never arose, it never evolved, right?
This is something that I love in this book. These are two statements from the text. One occurs at the beginning of the paragraph. The next occurs at the end of the same paragraph.
"The most dramatic evidence for evolution comes from fossils - the rockbound remains of past life"
"The fossils that remain, therefore, are at best a spotty historical record of earth's life."
Rather conflicting. And if fossils - which are spotty at best - are the best evidence for evolution, that is not very good evidence, is it?
Okay, after one very long post, I have one thing left. I know somewhere rather far back someone said something about there was no evidence for creation. I have procured a website that has some evidence for creation. I am in the process of finding more sites. Anyway here is the site: creation site

As far as the evolutionist and creationist goes, I wasn't there so I'm not sure about the arguments that were presented. But I feel pretty confident that someone who saw the same debate who believed in evolution would feel that the creationist babbeled on, while the evolutionist presented very strong and valid points. And even if not, let's not forget that these are just two people in the whole scheme of things.

Of course there are going to be gaps in how life got it's start. Evolution is a fairly new concept in the scheme of things. We're talking about going back billions of years. And actually, that book must be a bit outdated, because scientists have been able to create the primordial soup. They created it by smashing together different elements. Studies are still going on, but it's looking very promising.

I'd be interested again of the date of that book and the context that those two sentences were taken out of, because I feel that I'm missing something.

I visited that website and glanced over their evidence for creation. All of those arguments have another scientist somewhere else who says that those statistics are wrong or that they are naturally occuring, or even point towards evolution. Just depends on who you ask. As well as the fact that some of the arguments that were presented where just backed up because it would be extremely rare for something like that to occur. Extremely rare things do happen.

I was going to say pretty much exactly what Jamison said, too.

Hey! Maybe there is a mixture of the religious stories and evolution. Adam and Eve were actually gorillas, and they had little baby gorillas, and the little baby gorillas kind of made incest babies, and these incest babies weren't exactly baby gorillas, but they were something new! this was the first stage in the evolution of men and women. so these little baby things continued this tradition ... possibly sleeping with a bear at some point, you know the Indians used to believe that humans evolved from bears ... and over many thousands of years, humans finally formed. And then they realised that if they stopped having incestral sex, then the gorilla-bear-human things would stop being deformed.

Hey, it's just as plausible as both the religious and scientific explanations. Just because it may sound ridiculous now, you never know ... the theory of evolution sounds ridiculous to some closed-minded people.

Wow! One rather large gap! If life never arose, it never evolved, right?

WTF?????? *by the way, those are initials, not capitals*

If life never arose, then how are we here?????????? Hello???? That was, no offense, really stupid.

i went onto that site and i was totally cracking up at most of it. But there were a couple of things that confused me.

"If I ascend up into heaven thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there." v. 8

so God controls Hell? So he's the devil as well? So that's like the evil side of God ... ?

"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Romans 6:23

??? Explaining ... please ... The cost of sin is death > but insanely religious people die too, not just normal people. WAIT ... perhaps your sin is being closed-minded and not accepting other peoples' religions!

"If thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." Romans 10:9 "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." Romans 10:13

You shall be saved? You shall be saved from what? Death? Hell? So if you believe that Jesus came back to life, you'll go to Heaven. What if you are religious, but you don't believe that?

?

That a maker is required for anything that is made is a lesson Sir Isaac Newton was able to teach forcefully to an atheist-scientist friend of his. Sir Isaac had an accomplished artisan fashion for him a small scale model of our solar system which was to be put in a room in Newton’s home when completed. The assignment was finished and installed on a large table. The workman had done a very commendable job, simulating not only the various sizes of the planets and their relative proximities, but also so constructing the model that everything rotated and orbited when a crank was turned. It was an interesting, even fascinating work, as you can image, particularly to anyone schooled in the sciences.

Newton’s atheist-scientist friend came by for a visit. Seeing the model, he was naturally intrigued, and proceeded to examine it with undisguised admiration for the high quality of the workmanship. ‘My! What an exquisite thing this is!’ he exclaimed. ‘Who made it?’ Paying little attention to him, Sir Isaac answered, ‘Nobody.’

Stopping his inspection, the visitor turned and said: ‘Evidently you did not understand my question. I asked who made this. Newton, enjoying himself immensely no doubt, replied in a still more serious tone. ‘Nobody. What you see just happened to assume the form it now has.’ ‘You must think I am a fool!’ the visitor retorted heatedly, ‘Of course somebody made it, and he is a genius, and I would like to know who he is.’

Newton then spoke to his friend in a polite yet firm way: ‘This thing is but a puny imitation of a much grander system whose laws you know, and I am not able to convince you that this mere toy is without a designer and maker; yet you profess to believe that the great original from which the design is taken has come into being without either designer or maker! Now tell me by what sort of reasoning do you reach such an incongruous conclusion?’

Apart from this obviously having been rewritten by a religious person, given the bias in the adjectives used, i can give an answer to his question.

If the world and all it's inhabitants and the solar system and EVERYTHiNG came into being through evolution, then it already existed at the time of the person making the model. The person who made the model of course made a copy of something that already existed. They didn't go into the infinite details and the complexities in the anatomy of the planets. They made an aesthetic copy.

You see my point?

Well, i'm done for tonight. Ciao pplz.

I do believe in God and that we're all here for a reason and that we were all meant to do something. I keep having epiphanies and looking at the world and taking in things in a different light. I wear a cross to show my faith and even though I went through a really hard time I thought I could make it through it for a reason. I did have one...helping people.

can anyone give me some evidence of evolution? that was neither rhetorical nor an attempt at sarcasm. I am genuinely interested in some of the evidence scientists have found. I am sure there is much evidence considering many people have made mention to it. I am well aware of the "cavemen" for lack of a better word, and I am also aware of the rock-dating method ( i have a feeling i am saying that wrong). It would honestly help if someone could support the evidence with sites or even simple examples. Also, one person mentioned researching some other scientists findings and not Darwins. (the person who wrote this has a major in biology i believe- for clarification's sake). Sorry, for the vagueness and poor writing..I am in a rush and I need to babysit. thanks.

ps- I would prefer primary journals/sources and I care not for secondary sources but if the former can't be found then the latter i guess will suffice.

You shall be saved? You shall be saved from what? Death? Hell? So if you believe that Jesus came back to life, you'll go to Heaven. What if you are religious, but you don't believe that?

What are you asking specifically? What's "that"? Are you asking the religious people whether they believe one will go to heaven if he believes in Jesus? I think it would be contradictory to say a person is religious yet he/she doesn't believe that one cannot be saved. Being religious means you have faith in God and his power of forgiveness. And being saved means one has recieved redemption. And I believe being saved is living a life filled with God's power and love; being without those things would be hell.

can anyone give me some evidence of evolution? that was neither rhetorical nor an attempt at sarcasm. I am genuinely interested in some of the evidence scientists have found. I am sure there is much evidence considering many people have made mention to it. I am well aware of the "cavemen" for lack of a better word, and I am also aware of the rock-dating method ( i have a feeling i am saying that wrong). It would honestly help if someone could support the evidence with sites or even simple examples. Also, one person mentioned researching some other scientists findings and not Darwins. (the person who wrote this has a major in biology i believe- for clarification's sake). Sorry, for the vagueness and poor writing..I am in a rush and I need to babysit. thanks.

ps- I would prefer primary journals/sources and I care not for secondary sources but if the former can't be found then the latter i guess will suffice.

I'd be more than happy to share some scholarly websites/journals with information supporting evolution :smiley: I can post some tomorrow when I get access to my biology materials (I'm at home right now). I'm actually not a major in biology, but someone who has always been interested in it, and who has been forced to take years of it for school.

There are also several documentaries I've watched that have been quite fascinating in their evidence for evolution. One was specifically about Darwin and his theory, another that was quite interesting (in my opinion) delt with fossils. Primarily a strange "whale" fossil scientists found, they ended up being able to trace this whale back to a wolf. Then showed all the different creatures that the wolf evolved into before becoming the whale. It was really remarkable.

I'll definitely post some websites/texts/movies that have really been helpful tomorrow, or maybe even later tonight if I can get my act together. ^_^

ETA:

Here are some resources on evolution, that I've found to be pretty good.

Evolution (this website goes hand in hand with a documentary that PBS did several years ago, which was excellent...highly reccomended)

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/ (also a good resource)

http://anthro.palomar.edu/evolve/evolve_3.htm (this website gives some examples of evidence for evolution)

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-transi...rt1a.html#intro (gives info about what exactly transitional fossils are)

There are plenty more resources out there in regards to evolutionary evidence. But these (especially the first two) do a great job in giving backing to evolution. I would also highly reccomend some documentaries. PBS' Evolution series was amazing and very fascinating, Carl Sagan's Cosmos is also fascinating (and a good watch, even if it isn't directly about evolution), as well as Nova's The Elegent Universe and Origins. All of these documentarites were very interesting, and not boring. They all really held my attention, and are great resources.

I'd be more than happy to share some scholarly websites/journals with information supporting evolution :smiley: I can post some tomorrow when I get access to my biology materials (I'm at home right now). I'm actually not a major in biology, but someone who has always been interested in it, and who has been forced to take years of it for school.

There are also several documentaries I've watched that have been quite fascinating in their evidence for evolution. One was specifically about Darwin and his theory, another that was quite interesting (in my opinion) delt with fossils. Primarily a strange "whale" fossil scientists found, they ended up being able to trace this whale back to a wolf. Then showed all the different creatures that the wolf evolved into before becoming the whale. It was really remarkable.

I'll definitely post some websites/texts/movies that have really been helpful tomorrow, or maybe even later tonight if I can get my act together. ^_^

ETA:

Here are some resources on evolution, that I've found to be pretty good.

Evolution (this website goes hand in hand with a documentary that PBS did several years ago, which was excellent...highly reccomended)

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/ (also a good resource)

http://anthro.palomar.edu/evolve/evolve_3.htm (this website gives some examples of evidence for evolution)

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-transi...rt1a.html#intro (gives info about what exactly transitional fossils are)

There are plenty more resources out there in regards to evolutionary evidence. But these (especially the first two) do a great job in giving backing to evolution. I would also highly reccomend some documentaries. PBS' Evolution series was amazing and very fascinating, Carl Sagan's Cosmos is also fascinating (and a good watch, even if it isn't directly about evolution), as well as Nova's The Elegent Universe and Origins. All of these documentarites were very interesting, and not boring. They all really held my attention, and are great resources.

thanks. would anyone or everyone consider Darwin's Origin of Species a quality argument for evolution? Or is it an obselete argument?

thanks. would anyone or everyone consider Darwin's Origin of Species a quality argument for evolution? Or is it an obselete argument?
Darwin's Origin of Species was not intended to include humans, yet the principles can be applied. he also did not incorporate genetics into it, so parts of it are obsolete. however, the basic principle is there and to toss out Darwin's works altogether would be the equivalent to throwing out the foundation to most biological discoveries in the past century.

I remember someone bringing up point in this topic about how when addressing God we should capitalize God as well as He, Him, etc...they viewed it as a lack of respect. Ironically enough this topic came up today in my journalism class, and actually with using pronouns to address God (or Jesus), it is not in proper form to capitalize them (this according to AP style). Just thought I'd mention that to show that we weren't trying to be disrespectful, and were actually using proper form in not capitalizing he and him.

Anyways my real reason for visiting is because of the topic of evolution. We have covered it extensively just in the past few days in my biology class.

I didn't want to hunt up all the quotes that I'll be addressing (because I'm lazy), but I do remember them being said, and want to rebuff them. (and I want to thank the Berkeley webpage on evolution, because that's where my professor has pulled a lot of the information)

I remember someone talking about that since evolution is a "theory" it is not wildly accepted, or something along those lines.

That's not at all true. A theory in science is a much different thing than a theory when not talking about science. I don't know if people realize but gravity is still a theory. While we all know that when we let go of a pen from a distance it's going to fall, there is still a slight chance that it won't. A theory in science has to be countered many many times and is a way of life, not some far out hypothesis. The United States is one of the only countries in the world that is having such a debate about evolution. A good portion of countries accept it and don't have this debate as to whether or not it should be taught in schools.

Evolution is also not a theory about the origin of life.

Evolution does not rule out that there is a higher being. It does not tell us how we got on earth. It tells us how we've changed and adapted, something that without a doubt we have. Creatures have always evolved. Whether that is something that was put into place by a higher being or natural causes, isn't what evolution is looking. It looks at the process, the origin of species. How species come to be, not how life came to be.

Some people think that evolution is only by chance.

In most cases it is not. Natural selection is a non-random form of evolution. Look at fish. The most streamlined fish will be able to swim faster and get away from their predators. It's not by chance that the fish who are not as well streamlined are the first to be eaten.

Those are just a few things that I decided to post now, but there are many others out there.

actually the grammar in the Bible capitalizes He and Him when referring to any part of the trinity...

Yes, but that's the Bible. Most religious texts from various religions refer to their god in a capitalized He or Him, that's not uncommon. I was making the point that as far as non-religious texts go, such as books or articles you aren't supposed to capitalize those pronouns.

In my journalism class we have to write in a certain format, which is AP Style. According to AP Style you do not capitalize he and him when referring to God. And it is my understanding from my professor that it is in proper form according to many styles to not capitalize pronouns when regarding God or Jesus.

I was just pointing out the fact that when reviewing style books on grammar it is not in good form to capitalize the pronouns. The reasoning was because I remember being labeled as disrespectful for not doing it, when in reality it isn't disrespectful.

as tempting as the subject of evolution is, i'll not get into it at this point. just know that i accept the theory of evolution more readily than the Bible.

but about the original question: i do believe in God, but not in the most traditional way. i'm more polytheistic, though i don't follow a strict religion. i do believe in a higher power's creation of the heavens and the earth and all that, but i believe that there are separate divine entitites that control certain aspects of life. for example, there's the King of Heaven who is the God most people stick with, but there's also the goddess of the earth, of the spirit, and so on. i haven't done tons of research or anything, but this is the basic belief i've always stuck with. i've just never been able to readily accept a monotheistic view because of the admonishment i've received when asking the question "If God created to everything, what created God?" sure, i'm throwing in the traditional scientific belief that everything is created from something, but like i said - i'm not traditional.

I do believe in God. Sure there are lots of bad things in the world, but that's because of people, not God. And they'd be there regardless. For me the only way I can stand all that goes on, the only hope I have for tomorrow is God. I think a lot more people don't believe in God now because they think He's responsible for the bad stuff, He's the one who wants everything to work out. And people are to caught up looking at Christians not Christ, they're very different. He's not just some distant far off God for me, He really is my best friend.
Lucy ;)

Honestly, I couldn't have said it better myself. My faith in God has helped me get through a lot of tough times. I would be lost without him.

i believe god is just an imaginary friend people need when they feel lost.
i wish i believed in anything supernatural. it would make life easier. but i don't and knowing that this life is the only life i get makes me want to do the best out of it.
i moved to california from sweden 7 months ago and i've never met so many religious people. it was hard at the beginning, because i had never really met any religious people in my 22 year long life and it's difficult to stay open-minded, but i try. most people here think it's strange that I could never go out with a religious person. i just feel it's sad that people so easily accept the bible as the truth just because other people do. and i have a question to any religious person: how do you know your religion is the right one? if you're a muslim, why not christianity..? if you're christian, why not islam? people believe in different things based on where they come from. Both can't be right! so why this religion?? I grew up allowed to pick any side, any religion and we never ever talked about religion at home.. or evolution or any of that stuff..

i also want to say: i'm a hard core atheist and that does not mean I'm a bad person. I give blood, give money, do volunteer work and have a positive view on life! and: statistics show that there are more christians than atehists in prison (compared to the number of atheists and christians there are in the US).. so why this image? it's actually the opposite if you look at the numbers..

Back