Politics Do you believe in god?

Do you believe in God?

• Yes

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters
To believe in god is one thing..I understand that many people do.. but to believe in the whole adam and eve nonsense is just weird.. l just like believing in Santa to me.. just my opinion..
I don't think I'll ever believe in a God of any kind.. I really would like to, but i just don't. I belive in the whole evolution theory.. That makes more sense to me.. And I'm also very curious to know: how come more americans than swedes are religious? Is it just the different traditions..? Why do more people have faith in one country?

blue_bird said:
having faith in God makes me happy.. not just happy, it gives me joy. and i feel more secure and assured in my life. its like.. in all the imperfection in this world, the faults, the evil, you know that there is a greater good and perfection that exists somewhere. and it is God. and having people who share the same belief also adds joy and satisfaction to the life that i am now living.. no pressures. just plain simple and happy.

jaz my 2 cents.
[post="1106185"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

And my 2 cents as well. I'd rather believe in God, take comfort in the fact that He's in control of everything, and that when I die, I'll be with Him forever then believe that the world just exists on its own and there's no over-arcing purpose to it all. It gives me peace in an otherwise crazy world.

I think the religious views of a country have something to do with what the country was founded on. Many of the Founding Fathers of America were religious men and that affected the way the Constitution/Declaration of Independence was written and that still has an impact today (though maybe not as strong as it used to be). As a Christian, there have been many times when I've looked at my country and just shook my head in disgust. Sometimes I wonder where it's headed.

I don't believe in a god.

Some of it is because a lot of the values taught in the Christian church (and other religious sects) bother me. And that they use the bible to preach doctrine that isn't even brought up in the bible (ie birth control).

Also I find it uneasy to think that there is someone watching from above...I don't take comfort in it. I don't like thinking that what I do on this earth only matters for an afterlife, and that you could be one of the most amazingly good human beings to ever exist, but if you don't believe in God then you're going to hell.

I'm much more scientific, and religion leaves a lot of unanswered (or unanswerable) questions, that I can't accept.

Adam and Eve for instance, makes no sense. And I'm no biblical scholar (obviously...I'm athiest), but I have an understanding and didn't Adam give one of his ribs to God to make Eve? If that's the case, then why do men and women have the exact same number of ribs? (please correct me if i'm wrong here...or if it's already been posted, let me know)

All this being said, I am by no means putting down anyone who is Christian or any religion for that matter. All of my close friends are deeply religious, and I have an enormous amount of respect for them and their beliefs...it's just not for me.

Jamison said:
And that they use the bible to preach doctrine that isn't even brought up in the bible (ie birth control).

Obviously, the bible doesn't have any passages about The Pill or anything like that. :D There are some denominations that have beliefs that I don't agree with because they aren't in the bible. Like birth control. Also, the non-use of musical instruments. I don't know where they get the idea that they can't use musical instruments in a church service. My church, of which my dad is the pastor, does not tell the congregation what birth control to use or that a member has to buy a Honda or they're going to hell. It bothers me too when some churches make statements about things like than when there's really no biblical mandate about it. Now if we're going to talk about things like murder, lying, etc., that's another story.

Adam and Eve for instance, makes no sense.  And I'm no biblical scholar (obviously...I'm athiest), but I have an understanding and didn't Adam give one of his ribs to God to make Eve?  If that's the case, then why do men and women have the exact same number of ribs? (please correct me if i'm wrong here...or if it's already been posted, let me know)
[post="1317795"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

This is an isolated incident of God taking one rib from one specific man to create the perfect partner for him. It does not meant that men and women are supposed to have a different number of ribs. Hope that helps.

Jamison said:
I don't believe in a god.

Some of it is because a lot of the values taught in the Christian church (and other religious sects) bother me.  And that they use the bible to preach doctrine that isn't even brought up in the bible (ie birth control).

Also I find it uneasy to think that there is someone watching from above...I don't take comfort in it.  I don't like thinking that what I do on this earth only matters for an afterlife, and that you could be one of the most amazingly good human beings to ever exist, but if you don't believe in God then you're going to hell.

I'm much more scientific, and religion leaves a lot of unanswered (or unanswerable) questions, that I can't accept.

Adam and Eve for instance, makes no sense.  And I'm no biblical scholar (obviously...I'm athiest), but I have an understanding and didn't Adam give one of his ribs to God to make Eve?  If that's the case, then why do men and women have the exact same number of ribs? (please correct me if i'm wrong here...or if it's already been posted, let me know)

All this being said, I am by no means putting down anyone who is Christian or any religion for that matter.  All of my close friends are deeply religious, and I have an enormous amount of respect for them and their beliefs...it's just not for me.
[post="1317795"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Very well said.. I couldn't have said it better myself :smiley: and for that adam and eve fairytale.. they only had 2 sons.. what next? Did Adam & Eve's sons "reproduce" with their own mother? How is that explained? I understand why some people have faith in a god.. but I can't understand why some live exactly after what is written in the bible.. and believe every word written in it..

Lots of arguments arise after two different religions can't get along.. and it is also scary that a 2000 year old book can decide some of the laws we have today.. for example gay marriages.. why shouldn't they have the same rights as hetero couples? Because the church think it is inappropriate or what??.. we live in the 21th centure.. but sometimes it feels like we're stuck in the time when the bible was written.. huh.. this is something you can discuss for hours and days..

I also consider myself to be pretty scientific, but for me the more I learn about evolution, human biology, the laws of physics, etc. the more I believe in a higher power. Because really what are the odds that everything just happened to evolve in the right way to create an organ as amazing as the human brain? Something had to put those events in order and I believe that something is God.

But I don't think there is just one way to find God because religion is largely the invention of human beings. I see each religion as offering a different perspective on God and we get to choose which perspective is right for us. There is something wonderful about faith and believing that there is more to this world than what we can see and hear and touch and measure. I think it would be kind of boring if science was all there was to it.

I would like to. Because that's a comforting thought to know that there is an after life, and that happily ever after is within reach. But I just can't. The logical side of my mind rails at such a fanciful idea.

I do believe in God. To say you dont believe in him because you haven't seen him or because he's never reveled himself it utterly contradictory. Atheists like to say that they believe in logic....that their rational thinkers. But let me say this....Can you see the laws of logic? Can you actually pick them up and hold them in your hand? No. Can you see the laws of mathmatics....?NO. So by saying you don't believe in god because he never reveled himself is contradictory. But that's my ten cents. peace

I dont see your point, I dont believe in god because I simply dont believe that someone created life ... i think the big bang happened , and if there was a god why would it let thousands of people die (the tsunami) or have war?

And tell me have you seen god?

<Shotgun> said:
I dont see your point, I dont believe in god because I simply dont believe that someone created life ... i think the big bang happened , and if there was a god why would it let thousands of people die (the tsunami) or have war?

And tell me have you seen god?
[post="1320904"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

That is exactly how I feel! I believe in the big bang and not at the sudden wave of a hand of a higher being...and I've always had a problem with death and disease...why would God allow those things to happen, if he exists?

And it's not contradictory at all. "Can we see the laws of logic?" What do you mean by that?

"Can we see the laws of mathematics?" Well, umm, yes. They can be solved and proven. You can write 2+2 on a piece of paper or take 2 blocks and add them to 2 more blocks and know you get four.

You can't do that with God.

And I have complete respect for Christians and their beliefs, even though they aren't my own. But to say that athiests are contradictory is not at all correct.

gurlygirl_89 said:
I do believe in God. To say you dont believe in him because you haven't seen him or because he's never reveled himself it utterly contradictory. Atheists like to say that they believe in logic....that their rational thinkers. But let me say this....Can you see the laws of logic? Can you actually pick them up and hold them in your hand? No. Can you see the laws of mathmatics....?NO. So by saying you don't believe in god because he never reveled himself is contradictory. But that's my ten cents. peace
[post="1320896"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Cant see the laws of science eh? Then you've probably never seen an airplane fly, or a car driving down the street.

i am one of many or of the few
i am a darwinist and
a christian
i completely subsribe to the merits
and legitimacy of science
and scientific research
love medical research
love space exploration
it in no way effects
or shakes my religious faith
as to the mysteries
that which is inexplicable by customary
standards of science and research
in my religion?
i completely accept and believe
in the immaculate conception
and the resurrection
but that is me
your choice is yours

Yes of course you can WRITE them out. My point was the actual law of mathmatics. It's easy to write out. but you can't actually see them touch them You can do a demonstration of mathmatics but you can't hold them. Second....the big bang theory has been rejected for the most part even by athiests. God isn't the author of disease and death. The Fall of man is what brought about death, sin, turmoil,war,sickness,murder ect. What I mean but the laws of logic is our rational mind....in our mind we know ice can't be hot and cold at the same time. It is utterly contradictory. That is plain logic. Yet we can't take the law's of logic and actually touch it...see it. That's what i meant. And no i haven't seen God. No one has. Even his prophets didn't see him. he appeared to moses in the burning bush. Moses also saw the back of God but to look upon his face as mere mortals would be death. his gloy would kill us being because we are mortal and he is divine . But this means nothing to you, but i wanted to answer all of your questions. And a evolutionist and a christian is what i call nonesense. how can you affirm and and affirm the other. you admitting there is a God but that's he's not powerful enough to create the world? some all powerful God you believe in if he could create man himsel.f If he cvould only create a little blob of cells and hope it mutates enough to form a person. And how do you explain the world coming about? how do you explain that we are the only planet we know of that's liveable? how do you explain that we conveniatly have enough air to support our life. How can the world with soo much knowledge be so ignorant. Im not tlakin about u either just in general. How do u explain the miracle of childbirth. how do you explain the changing of the seasons the chaing of the lights the chanign of the tides? No i think it's all too complex to be left to fate and mere chance.

gurlygirl_89 said:
And a evolutionist and a christian is what i call nonesense. how can you affirm and and affirm the other. you admitting there is a God but that's he's not powerful enough to create the world? some all powerful God you believe in if he could create man himsel.f If he cvould only create a little blob of cells and hope it mutates enough to form a person. And how do you explain the world coming about? how do you explain that we are the only planet we know of that's liveable? how do you explain that we conveniatly have enough air to support our life. How can the world with soo much knowledge be so ignorant. Im not tlakin about u either just in general. How do u explain the miracle of childbirth. how do you explain the changing of the seasons the chaing of the lights the chanign of the tides? No i think it's all too complex to be left to fate and mere chance.
[post="1321054"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
If you expect respect from other members, you should refrain from calling others' beliefs nonsense or ignorant because the fact is doing so is ignorant itself.

I believe in both evolution and God. It doesn't mean I think God isn't all-powerful. I believe God created the world, but not in six days exactly as the Bible states it. As a Catholic, I don't take the Bible literally word for word. My personal belief is that God guided creation through evolution.

gurlygirl_89 said:
Yes of course you can WRITE them out. My point was the actual law of mathmatics. It's easy to write out. but you can't actually see them touch them You can do a demonstration of mathmatics but you can't hold them. Second....the big bang theory has been rejected for the most part even by athiests.  God isn't the author of disease and death. The Fall of man is what brought about death, sin, turmoil,war,sickness,murder ect.  What I mean but the laws of logic is our rational mind....in our mind we know ice can't be hot and cold at the same time. It is utterly contradictory. That is plain logic. Yet we can't take the law's of logic and actually touch it...see it. That's what i meant. And no  i haven't seen God. No one has. Even his prophets didn't see him. he appeared to moses in the burning bush. Moses also saw the back of God but to look upon his face as mere mortals would be death. his gloy would kill us being because we are mortal and he is divine . But this means nothing to you, but i wanted to answer all of your questions.  And a evolutionist and a christian is what i call nonesense. how can you affirm and and affirm the other. you admitting there is a God but that's he's not powerful enough to create the world? some all powerful God you believe in if he could create man himsel.f If he cvould only create a little blob of cells and hope it mutates enough to form a person. And how do you explain the world coming about? how do you explain that we are the only planet we know of that's liveable? how do you explain that we conveniatly have enough air to support our life. How can the world with soo much knowledge be so ignorant. Im not tlakin about u either just in general. How do u explain the miracle of childbirth. how do you explain the changing of the seasons the chaing of the lights the chanign of the tides? No i think it's all too complex to be left to fate and mere chance.
[post="1321054"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
You have too seen the laws of mathematics. Unless you've never seen a circle and known its area.

Back