Politics Do you believe in god?

Do you believe in God?

• Yes

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters
the more i study biology, the more it strengthens my belief in a creator. just one cell is more complicated and efficient then anything we could ever make. and ATP pumps could not have worked unless they were fully developed, so saying that they slowly evolved to that point is just ignorant.

Well. I kind of diagree.
I find this at a site about evolution.

Evolution of the Eye:

When evolution skeptics want to attack Darwin's theory, they often point to the human eye. How could something so complex, they argue, have developed through random mutations and natural selection, even over millions of years?

If evolution occurs through gradations, the critics say, how could it have created the separate parts of the eye -- the lens, the retina, the pupil, and so forth -- since none of these structures by themselves would make vision possible? In other words, what good is five percent of an eye?

Darwin acknowledged from the start that the eye would be a difficult case for his new theory to explain. Difficult, but not impossible. Scientists have come up with scenarios through which the first eye-like structure, a light-sensitive pigmented spot on the skin, could have gone through changes and complexities to form the human eye, with its many parts and astounding abilities.

Through natural selection, different types of eyes have emerged in evolutionary history -- and the human eye isn't even the best one, from some standpoints. Because blood vessels run across the surface of the retina instead of beneath it, it's easy for the vessels to proliferate or leak and impair vision. So, the evolution theorists say, the anti-evolution argument that life was created by an "intelligent designer" doesn't hold water: If God or some other omnipotent force was responsible for the human eye, it was something of a botched design.
Bilogists use the range of less complex light sensitive structures that exist in living species today to hypothesize the various evolutionary stages eyes may have gone through.

Here's how some scientists think some eyes may have evolved: The simple light-sensitive spot on the skin of some ancestral creature gave it some tiny survival advantage, perhaps allowing it to evade a predator. Random changes then created a depression in the light-sensitive patch, a deepening pit that made "vision" a little sharper. At the same time, the pit's opening gradually narrowed, so light entered through a small aperture, like a pinhole camera.

Every change had to confer a survival advantage, no matter how slight. Eventually, the light-sensitive spot evolved into a retina, the layer of cells and pigment at the back of the human eye. Over time a lens formed at the front of the eye. It could have arisen as a double-layered transparent tissue containing increasing amounts of liquid that gave it the convex curvature of the human eye.

In fact, eyes corresponding to every stage in this sequence have been found in existing living species. The existence of this range of less complex light-sensitive structures supports scientists' hypotheses about how complex eyes like ours could evolve. The first animals with anything resembling an eye lived about 550 million years ago. And, according to one scientist's calculations, only 364,000 years would have been needed for a camera-like eye to evolve from a light-sensitive patch.

sarks_princess said:
it hasnt been proved that the earth has been around for millions of years only about 6,000 according to dating in the bible.

[post="1369316"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
What about the dinosaurs???? Wont somebody think of the Dinosaurs!!!!!

AliasHombre said:
[post="1373729"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
lol, are you channeling Rev. lovejoy's wife from the Simpson's?? Won't somebody please think of the children??!!! :lol:

Um in response to the eye thing basically nothing could have evolved in the first place. This is basically because life is needed to make life. Proteins are so complex that they cannot possible be made from random folding of amino acids. And basically proteins are needed to make cells. So no life could have evolved without at least an original creation. So say there was an original creation. Say some force in the universe was like hey lets make a protein and then make a cell w/ all of its intricacies. So then maybe that cell could have divided. But the whole theory of evolution is based on the fact that mutations can better an organism. Ok but if ur gonna be speaking scientifically, you must consider the scientific laws. There is a law in science that states, and I must admit that I cannot recall the name or exact wording at this point, that every system can only become more disorderly. Bascially refuting the claim that mutations can better an organism. And this is a proven scientific LAW which means that it is fact and not a theory. I mean, when you think about it, do any genetic diseases that are present in humans make someone better? No. They basically only make a person's condition below average or worse. And the statement in the article that says that the eye is imperfect and, therefore, could not be made by a creator is also ill-founded. I am quite sure that everyone pretty much knows the story of Adam and Eve no matter if you believe it or not. So basically the biblical term for this story of Eve eating the apple and etc. is called the fall. Basically when the depravity of man started. At this point diseases and imperfection came into the world. This would account for the eye being imperfect. It is one of the human race's flaws as punishment for disobedience. Okay I am gonna shut up now but um I had to input here because this topic is something that i feel very strongly about. And I am sure that i have some flaws in this argument. Please excuse that and just take it for the general point that I am trying to make here.

AliasHombre said:

AMEN! I have brought this up like 5 times, yet no one has addressed it. Maybe because they don't have an argument...

sarks_princess said:
actually the bible IS PROOF! millions if not billions of people believe in it (in one form or another)

you say that we dont know the validity of the bible (which we do) , if you want to get pedantic then we dont know the validity of evolution either....a few bones do not prove a concept....

you say that we have just expressed our faith in the Bible, um does that work the other way as well? you have expressed faith in evolution?
[post="1369438"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
But the bible isn't proof. Yes it has teachings and prophecies and what not...but most of the bible is written in poetic form. Does seven days *really* mean seven days in our terms? Maybe teh author meant the seven days as a metaphor for- iono- seven centuries. You know what I mean? Nor is the bible really a history book. I think Erich has said that somewhere in this thread....

I reaally don't belive there is a god... but if there actually is.. I think it's not a good god, he/she wouldn't do all this to innocent people.. and I have heard that one of the arguments that christians has is that all the hate and evil in the world (between humans) causes the natural disasters, but I don't buy that at all, if god were good, he would let the accidents happen to the evil people not the innocent...
How can you base your assessment of God on a natural cause? Cuz you know...just wondering...

AliasHombre said:
they found a dinasaur in the ocean back in the 80s or something. yes, it was dead, but it hadn't been for long.

Osiris said:
they found a dinasaur in the ocean back in the 80s or something.  yes, it was dead, but it hadn't been for long.
[post="1374787"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Are u kidding?? they found a dinausaur in the 80s that hasnt been dead for long.. well I dont belive that at all but if you say so, they have found dinosaurs that have been dead for millions of years too and fossils are proof, I dont know what more proof you need, I dont understand how anyone can honesly believe the earth is 6000 years old! what about the ice covering the nothern europe 10 000 years ago?? There are lots of traces here from that.. but you think God made all the traces too??

Is there anyone in this thread believing in god, but also in evolution?? Cause I was so surprised when I read most of the christians here believe in creation, because here no one does, our teachers have told us in school since we were 6 years old that lots of people belive in god, and he or she might exist, but this is how the world was created and telling the evolution theories... The PRIESTS around here DONT even believe in creation although they believe in God and that might sound crazy to you but thats how it is here..They have been in school talking about it.. some doesnt believe god created it at all and one priest I know believes God created the universe around 6 billion years ago and then the evolution happened from scratch without Gods interference.. although this too sound wierd to me it sound s better than the 6000 years ago, 7 day theory with adam and eve and that crazy story..
just saying the fact that even the priests here dont even believe in the creation is WHY I have such a hard time understanding your point of view..

So, I guess you believe that the reaserch done for the movie Jurassic Park was all fabricated then. Oh that Spielberg is such a liar :lol: Since grade school we (Americans at least) have been taught that dinosaurs are millions of years old.

I got this interview with Dr. Greg Buckley from fieldmuseum I took snippets and pasted them here.

What was your favorite dinosaur you discovered so far?

I haven't discovered too many. Maybe fossils from three or four different species, all from Madagascar. My favorite is probably Majungatholus, a meat-eating therapod that lived about 65-70 million years ago.

Did dinosaurs really rule the earth for a billion years?

No. Dinosaurs are probably just the most popular prehistoric animals, and the group was around for just over 165 million years (from about 230 million years ago to 65 million years ago). For backboned animals (vertebrates) fishes have ruled the earth (at least the wet parts), and theyíve been doing it for over 500 million years, but this refers to the success of the whole group- individual species of dinosaurs only survived an average of a few million years each.

Where have most dinosaurs been found in the world?

Dinosaurs have been found on every continent in the world, including Antarctica. North America is one of the richest areas for dinosaur fossils, and some of the best places in The United States are Rocky Mountain states like Montana, Wyoming, Utah and Colorado. There haven't been any dinosaurs found yet in Illinois.

Are there dinosaur bones in the desert?

Some of the best dinosaur fossils ever were found in deserts in Asia and Africa. Some of these places, like the Gobi in Mongolia, may have been deserts when the dinosaurs lived there millions of years ago. Other places were very different back then, later becoming deserts because climates changed over time.

Has a human ever seen a dinosaur?

A living dinosaur? Only if you count birds as living dinosaurs, as many paleontologists do. Or if you've seen "Jurassic Park". Other than that, no. Dinosaurs went extinct about 65 million years ago, long before humans were around.

sugababyboo said:
So, I guess you believe that  the reaserch done for the movie  Jurassic Park was all fabricated then.  Oh that Spielberg is such a liar :lol: Since grade school we (Americans at least) have been taught that dinosaurs are millions of years old.
I got this interview with Dr. Greg Buckley from fieldmuseum I took snippets and pasted them here.
What was your favorite dinosaur you discovered so far?

I haven't discovered too many. Maybe fossils from three or four different species, all from Madagascar. My favorite is probably Majungatholus, a meat-eating therapod that lived about 65-70 million years ago.

Did dinosaurs really rule the earth for a billion years?

No. Dinosaurs are probably just the most popular prehistoric animals, and the group was around for just over 165 million years (from about 230 million years ago to 65 million years ago). For backboned animals (vertebrates) fishes have ruled the earth (at least the wet parts), and theyíve been doing it for over 500 million years, but this refers to the success of the whole group- individual species of dinosaurs only survived an average of a few million years each.

Where have most dinosaurs been found in the world?

Dinosaurs have been found on every continent in the world, including Antarctica. North America is one of the richest areas for dinosaur fossils, and some of the best places in The United States are Rocky Mountain states like Montana, Wyoming, Utah and Colorado. There haven't been any dinosaurs found yet in Illinois.

Are there dinosaur bones in the desert?

Some of the best dinosaur fossils ever were found in deserts in Asia and Africa. Some of these places, like the Gobi in Mongolia, may have been deserts when the dinosaurs lived there millions of years ago. Other places were very different back then, later becoming deserts because climates changed over time.

Has a human ever seen a dinosaur?

A living dinosaur? Only if you count birds as living dinosaurs, as many paleontologists do. Or if you've seen "Jurassic Park". Other than that, no. Dinosaurs went extinct about 65 million years ago, long before humans were around.
[post="1375043"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

yes that was good! like to hear anyone argue against this..

Other than the fact that it is his job and he is a professor, that is proof enough. He himself has seen these bones and has done research as well. How about paleontologists and others who study dinosaurs and creatures that existed millions of years ago?? Are you saying that all their research is fabricated and that they're careers are pointless?

Here is a picture of five finger bones about 160 million years old. I got this picture of from www.wiltshireheritage.org

l_4dinosaur_bones.JPG

nancee said:
But the bible isn't proof. Yes it has teachings and prophecies and what not...but most of the bible is written in poetic form. Does seven days *really* mean seven days in our terms? Maybe teh author meant the seven days as a metaphor for- iono- seven centuries. You know what I mean? Nor is the bible really a history book. I think Erich has said that somewhere in this thread....
[post="1374334"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
sugababyboo said:
I'm pretty sure ALIASalias believes in God and evolution.
[post="1374818"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Oh yay, some people actually listened to what I said back in the day :lol:

To sum up, yes, I believe in both God and evolution. I believe God created the world and guided the world through the big bang and evolution and such, whatever it took for the world to get where it is today.

The Bible should not to be taken literally, nor is it an accurate account of history. And that's because the Bible is not a history book, it's a book of religious truth. Much of the Bible is myth and legend (according to the Catholic Church), especially in the Old Testament. And yes, it does take faith to believe in, which is why I understand and respect other people's opinions. While faith is a large part of Christianity, some of the things I see as "proof" of God include the complexity of life and nature which couldn't have been just a random occurance resulting from explosions and the fact that Jesus, who many historians agree existed as a human being, could cause such a large number of extremely devout Jews to form a new religion that is now the largest in the world, surviving for 2000 years--IMO, no ordinary man could do such a thing and be such a threat to the religious leaders of the time. There are also non-biblical accounts of Jesus' existence that state He was a man of extraordinary kindness and power.

As for the dinosaurs, I believe they existed long before humans did, whether God created them with the snap of a finger or allowed them to form from previous life.

For the question "Why does God allow bad things to occur?" There are two sources of suffering, natural causes and human choice from free will. This is from my Christian Lifestyle book:
One reason [for suffering] is that our being human leaves us free to hurt each other, and God can't stop us without taking away the freedom that makes us human...
Laws of nature do not make exceptions for nice people. God does not reach down to interrupt the workings of the laws of nature to protect the righteous from harm... It [natural disaster] is an act of nature. Nature is morally blind, without values.

Osiris said:
um, there's still no proof to back up that guys statements
[post="1375102"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Are you serious? Carbon-14 dating has been accetped method for dating organic materials for decades. True, it can be off by about 500 years, but when dealing with the remains of an organism that is 100 million+ years old, a descrepancy that small doesn't really matter.

To add some hard data. Here is the United States Geologic Survey's website on the geologic time scale, mapping out the past 4500 MILLION YEARS (that's 4.5 Billion years) of Earth history, what species lived in each of the different periods, epochs, and eons, and how the stuff is measured.

Science Explorer

I believe in God.

I believe that there are lots of things we will never know the answers to, because we will never be able to figure out all of the whys in life. God is so much bigger than anything that we could ever dream or imagine. If God was someone you could figure out, then He wouldn't be much of a god.

Back