Web Stuff Do you care about PageRank?

And if you have no PageRank your search terms would be felgercarb, So yeah if your worried about search terms you are also worried about page rank.

Raymond said:
And if you have no PageRank your search terms would be felgercarb, So yeah if your worried about search terms you are also worried about page rank.

Not really. If you have a good domain, you can rank highly for your target keywords even with only a few links.

For the search term "spaghetti", which do you think will rank better?

spaghetti.com, 10 backlinks
foodthathasmeatballs.com/spaghetti, 10000 backlinks

Unless you're in a popular niche, PR isn't that important. More links = more human traffic, though.

Well, also got to take into account some companies pay Google to be higher in the search engine so put it this way it could be spaghetti.com with only 10 backlinks. So yes pagerank is important.

For example

If let's say Jay-z has a website, he wants to be first he pays and Google highlights his website
while all the fake websites remain below him with even more backlinks.

I don't really care about pagerank - but I do care about page and domain authority. Pagerank is just a weak way to express that because there's so much between PR4 and PR5 and you don't see those decimals. That's why I care more about MozRank (which is SEOmoz's version of pagerank - modified). It gets updated much more frequently and it gives a good measure of domains and pages. I know that a page with mozRank 4 will outrank a page with mozRank 1 :smiley: I don't need to know the PR.

No. PageRank has gotten more, more, and more irrelevant to getting good SERPs. Google takes into much more than that.

The forum I owned before I sold it had a PageRank of 0 (updated on April, never updated since) and it was easily able to shake up the SERPs of RockBand.com and ScoreHero when looking up keywords like Rock Band Forum.

No I do not care about my page rank because I get next to nothing from google but I still get a lot of traffic from other sites. Also I have a top ranking for Advertising Mania even though I have 0 page rank.

I think a lot of people think PageRank is more weak than it really is.

1) Any site can rank for an exact match domain. This was studied and verified by SEOmoz.
2) You have hundreds or thousands of internal links back to your homepage with your site's name. Of course you'll rank first for it.

You can't just think "When I search Brand X" I outrank "Brand Y" and brand Y has a PR8. Results on SERPs come from a combination of relevancy and authority. If your site is very relevant it could outrank a more trusted site that is less relevant.

Back